Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we have heard that the Solstice F/I motor is another year out. Will that mean that the Sky will have the F/I option when it is introduced? If the base Sky price is 25K will you pay another 3-5K for the extra ponies? At 30K that puts the car in the S2K, 350Z and a few other nice cars price point. I am starting to question the price issue a bit more carefully. I love this car, but @ 30k...Well time will tell!

·
Registered
432 Posts
ill take any bet that they wont introduce F/I on the first model year. They have no reason to do that. at the very least they would wait one year. as far as price, that would probably depend on how they would do the induction. depending on if it was SC or TC and how much boost, etc. there are so many different ways to produce a F/I car. I cant see the option going for less than $3k, but it wouldnt surprise me if it hit $5k.

Either way, i wonder what else would come with that package... ground effects kit? new guages? other interior enhancements? spoiler? new rims? they would have to upgrade a lot mechanically. fuel pump/lines, exhaust headers (dual exhaust?), maybe clutch, transmission, and definitely the computer.

and if we werent already forced to buy premium fuel, this would definitely push us over the edge.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Chip said:
OK, so we have heard that the Solstice F/I motor is another year out. Will that mean that the Sky will have the F/I option when it is introduced? If the base Sky price is 25K will you pay another 3-5K for the extra ponies? At 30K that puts the car in the S2K, 350Z and a few other nice cars price point. I am starting to question the price issue a bit more carefully. I love this car, but @ 30k...Well time will tell!
We got a clarification on the Solstice forums what the following year meant. It'll arrive as part of the 2007 MY Solstice. Which means the end of 2006 begining of 2007. The Sky more then likely wont get the forced induction motor till then either as a 2007 MY refresh (since it's already considered a 2007 MY).

Personally the forced induction version is what I really want too. I have to agree with you on the price thing. I've done some comparisons of various other GM cars to try to get a range, and I've come up with the option will cost anywhere from $3k to $6k. As you said for a car starting at $25,000 this makes it almost $30,000. As I've stated on the Solstice forums too, if the car ever actually costs that much I'm looking elsewhere. I'm not paying $30,000 for a car with extremely limited trunk space, and more then likely power less then that of other $30k cars. At that point the Lancer Evo IX will be out, which for $30k I'd rather have. It might not look as good, but it's a 4 door sport sedan with far more ltrunk space, and I'm betting at least 50 more HP and Torque.

swatthefly: Yeah, exactly. The $3k - $6k price range will really depend on how much power the system creates, and what other options GM adds on. For $3k I really only expect the force induction system and a couple other changes to distinguish it form the normal Sky. But for $5k-$6k there better be some realy significant changes to make it worth it.

No matter what they need to add dual exhaust to the Sky RL/Solstice GXP because it'll look so bad ass. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
brentil said:
No matter what they need to add dual exhaust to the Sky RL/Solstice GXP because it'll look so bad ass. :D
if we cant have a dual exhaust from the factory, i dont think ill try too hard to fabricate a dual exhaust. It would weigh too much and i dont think that i would gain any performance from it. Symmatry isnt worth that much too me. If anything, there might be too much backpressure because of a dual exhaust. you would have to use narrower pipes to keep the pressure the same. I think for looks, i would remove the light at the bottom in the middle and run the pipe there. Then i would just put a foglight on either side behind the bumper as reverse lights. might look better and more symmetrical without hindering performance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
swatthefly said:
if we cant have a dual exhaust from the factory, i dont think ill try too hard to fabricate a dual exhaust. It would weigh too much and i dont think that i would gain any performance from it. Symmatry isnt worth that much too me. If anything, there might be too much backpressure because of a dual exhaust. you would have to use narrower pipes to keep the pressure the same. I think for looks, i would remove the light at the bottom in the middle and run the pipe there. Then i would just put a foglight on either side behind the bumper as reverse lights. might look better and more symmetrical without hindering performance.
I hope you're correct on the after market dualing of the exhaust tips, but since the tips are squared and angled, they're not something you can buy off-the-shelf at Pep Boys or Crappy Tire. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
i wonder what the prices will be up here in Canada - it's not always the US priced x the conversion rate.

i hope they cut us a break :willy:

(wooo the willy smily is uploaded - my fav!!)

kris

·
Registered
109 Posts
Generally the U.S. Auto Manufacturers set the exchange rate for pricing cars to our advantage.
And with an ever devaluing U.S. dollrs, we'll soon be paying (in Canadian dollars) what the Yanks pay (in U.S. dollars) :cheers: :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
and if it's not cheaper up here... what stops you from buying the car at a dealership in the U.S.? I'd drive to Michigan to save a thousand dollars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
andrewplanet said:
and if it's not cheaper up here... what stops you from buying the car at a dealership in the U.S.? I'd drive to Michigan to save a thousand dollars.
It's not quite that easy as you have to get the car registered/approved for use in Canada. Two years ago I imported a used Mitsu Eclipse I bought in the US. First you have to make sure your car's on the list of permissible cars to import from the US to Canada. Then there are Canadian standards that must be met that are not *required* in the US (i.e. some of the Canadian requirements are already in place on cars sold in the States, others may not be & would need to be modified before they'll register your vehicle for use in Canada):

- daytime running lights
- speedo markings in km/h
- odometer's units of measure clearly marked (e.g. the presence of the word "miles" after the odo numbers, as opposed to being unmarked and just assumed to be in miles... if this is the case then you actually have to get into the gauge cluster and mark "miles" on there yourself)
- child seat anchors

And then you have to fill out all kinds of paperwork, notify the people at the border in advance when you'll be bringing your car across, pay an import fee, pay 8% PST to the Ontario government (or was that 7% GST to the Canadian gov't?) on the Canadian dollar equivalent price of the vehicle, and get it emission tested ("Air Clean" program or something). I had to take the e-test several times before it passed but that shouldn't be a problem with a new car. The other disadvantage might be that you wouldn't establish a tight relationship with a dealer in your area for future service.

So it's certainly possible but it's not as easy as just popping across the border & driving 'er back. It takes time, money and planning. You'll have to decide if it's worth your while. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
the Sky is to have Onstar standard, on cars that it is an optain it is like a $1245 extra in Canada

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
airbalancer said:
the Sky is to have Onstar standard, on cars that it is an optain it is like a $1245 extra in Canada
From now on in the USA all GM cars will have OnStar standard. Supposedly the Solstice has it as a base option already as well, and not as an extra option.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am wrong again , I am batting like 100

·
Registered
432 Posts
brentil said:
From now on in the USA all GM cars will have OnStar standard. Supposedly the Solstice has it as a base option already as well, and not as an extra option.
that kinda sucks that you cant get a discount for not having onstar. it would so not be worth it to me. besides, i dont want any authorities to have access to data on how i am using my vehicle! i mean, if i were to get hit by someone else, but the data recorder says that i had been driving at an "accessive rate of speed" just a few minutes earlier, then i may be deemed to be at fault just because of the stupid data thing.

***if anyone can get info on how to disable the onstar system ASAP, that would be terrific!***

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
You can just not activate the service or have it cancelled. I also believe the OnStar company itself is the only one with access to the data collected. I don't think a Police officer can just access your info at any time to see information like that. It would probably require a court order to make OnStar make the information available to Police.

·
Registered
432 Posts
brentil said:
You can just not activate the service or have it cancelled. I also believe the OnStar company itself is the only one with access to the data collected. I don't think a Police officer can just access your info at any time to see information like that. It would probably require a court order to make OnStar make the information available to Police.
well, id rather have no data than data that probably wont be accessed. and i know that you arent supposed to be able to disable the onstar system. Even if you dont pay the service fees, the system still records data, and its recording it through various sensors into a kind of computer setup. usually most of it is in the trunk area (hidden of course) but it is always possible to disable it. i just wanted to see if anyone would know the exact location of the pieces so they could be removed. worse case scenario, ill start tearing up the trunk myself. but id rather not chew up my trunk if someone here gets word on where the pieces are. i imagine it may be another 6 months before someone might have that info though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
$30000 Right

If the car came up to $30000 I would go down and buy myself the car I aways liked a nissian 350z in daytona blue. And don't worry I would carry your clubs to the club.

·
Registered
45 Posts
swatthefly said:
well, id rather have no data than data that probably wont be accessed. and i know that you arent supposed to be able to disable the onstar system. Even if you dont pay the service fees, the system still records data, and its recording it through various sensors into a kind of computer setup. usually most of it is in the trunk area (hidden of course) but it is always possible to disable it. i just wanted to see if anyone would know the exact location of the pieces so they could be removed. worse case scenario, ill start tearing up the trunk myself. but id rather not chew up my trunk if someone here gets word on where the pieces are. i imagine it may be another 6 months before someone might have that info though.
Cut the wires, pull the fuse, yank the transponder antenna. It can be disabled.

Let's not let this thread degrade into a "why OnStar is evil or not" thread. :banghead:

For $30k, you aren't very far from some other very nice sports cars... it makes it a lot more difficult, and your individual needs and priorities come into play.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please...

Dante said:
Cut the wires, pull the fuse, yank the transponder antenna. It can be disabled.

Let's not let this thread degrade into a "why OnStar is evil or not" thread. :banghead:
Yeah, let's keep this thread focused. At 30K it is in fine company! The big question is: Will the Sky measure up to it's competitors? There are some nice cars out there at that price point.

·
Registered
304 Posts
And the head of Toyota has just about promised to raise prices to give the domestics some breathing room. We're still not up to the price level of a Z4. But consider Peter Egan's take in this month's R&T comparing classics from the 50's and 60's to buy and restore compared to prices of good low mileage modern sports cars, e.g. old Porsche at $12000, put $10000 into it OR 2-3 yr old Boxter at $22000, and here's the clincher, with A/C and CD player!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts