Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Solstice launch is about done with the biggest problem seemingly being the convertible top sealing issue. There also seem to be a few other scattered issues including the driveline clunk, so it begs the question. How will the Sky launch / early production go? Also, how long will the folks that wade through whatever clever (?) GM ordering hoop have to wait for thier Sky. Of course that assumes that they have the plant Q-C hold for quality issues streamlined. (read top issue resolved.) Thoughts?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
For the record, that top sealing issue seems largely related to people damaging the latch, and is not a build issue though the design could be better. If the roof is lowered with the handle in the locked position, the latch sticks out and will get bent by the closing trunk. The latch then has to be replaced- the people who tried to straighten them out are the ones with the problems.

When your Sky comes in, make sure a) you don't damage it, and b) your dealer knows not to damage it. Some Solstice owners have had leaky tops and found later that the latch was bent and bent back by salesmen and mechanics before they took delivery.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reedred said:
For the record, that top sealing issue seems largely related to people damaging the latch, and is not a build issue though the design could be better...
For the record, your comment is not entirely correct. While there have been owners that have had issues with the latch, the seals were a greater problem & have been re-engineered / designed. The Solstices that had failed the Q-C leak test were held by the plant for the new seals to be installed. Also many cars were recalled to the plant for fixes even if they were in transit to the dealers. This has been a ongoing issue that seems still to be a headache for those at the plant not to mention the new prospective owners. It does need to be said though, that some Solstice owners that have recieved their cars have not had any problem with leaks. That is so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is why I'm cool about being #1 on the list for my dealer to get a Sky. The Solstice will be like the first model run and many issues that would have plagued a first model year launch will hopefully be fixed by the time the Sky launches.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Chip is correct, the cars have been on hold for a while due to seals needing to be replaced. There were only a few people who accidently bent their latches by not reading the manual.

The driveline 'clunk' is a feature, not a bug. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a drive line issue. I am not sure if it's exact location is known. There are some who believe it is coming from, or is due in part to the LSD. (Limitited slip differential) Pontiac says it's normal. Some owners cars have it, others don't. I would find it a bit distacting if it were audible in my new Solstice, but then I am a bit to anal about such things.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hum maybe it's better If I wait and get the sky the second year so they can work out the leaks. I didn't even think of issues like that :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought two of the first year production models in 1991 and while there were issues with them, Saturn was great about fixing them. Unless the company has changed since then (and I see no evidence of that) I expect that any problems will be fixed (except driving off a cliff, etc.) :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
Chip is correct, the cars have been on hold for a while due to seals needing to be replaced. There were only a few people who accidently bent their latches by not reading the manual.

as i told people on the Solstice forum that clunk isn;t from the car, it's the sound of people's jaw's hitting the pavement when they see the Solstice for the first time :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a drive line issue. I am not sure if it's exact location is known. There are some who believe it is coming from, or is due in part to the LSD. (Limitited slip differential) Pontiac says it's normal. Some owners cars have it, others don't. I would find it a bit distacting if it were audible in my new Solstice, but then I am a bit to anal about such things.
The explanation was that the clunk is due to exactly what I surmised
originally - lash in the drivetrain. Kappa engineers are looking into a
possible fix. Better yet - get the automatic.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Chip said:
It's the LSD and the Manual Transmission not getting along.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kingarthur said:
The explanation was that the clunk is due to exactly what I surmised
originally - lash in the drivetrain. Kappa engineers are looking into a
possible fix. Better yet - get the automatic.
I would not bet the farm that a slush box will fix this issue. The lash that you refer to is just a fancy term for "slop" in the entire drive line. There might be a reduction in the "clunk" with an auto. tranny, but I don't think it will go away without some additional engineering.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an automatic 2001 Mustang and I hear a clunk occasionally when I accelerate too so I guess I'll feel right at home with the new Sky clunking. Problem solved... all you guys should buy other poorly engineered cars and then move on to the Sky :D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Clunk comes from the LSD and differential. ALL of the other cars that use this differential have the exact same clunking noise (ie other cars then the Solstice). LSD cars are more prone to it happening due to the nature of how the LSD works. The reason its become an issue with the Solstice is that this is a small car with less sound deadening material then for example the CTS. The tunel design of the frame also amplifies the noise in the drivers direction. There is nothing that can be easily changed on the car to get rid of it. There is also absolutely no issue caused by it, and it can be dealt with by changing your driving habbits too. I've owned other cars that had these issues as well, like a Porsche 924 for example. Other members have also reported this type of noise on other cars as well.

The water leak has been taken care of, and is no longer an issue now either.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If your Monsoon is on there is no CLUNK, I have turn my monsoon off but I am not sure as to what it is people are talking about, maybe is because I have been driving stick shifts since I was 16, so maybe I am use to it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brentil said:
...The water leak has been taken care of, and is no longer an issue now either.
IMO it is much too early to make a statement like this. We will see after these seals winter cycle then see decompression from topdown weather in the spring. When they are subjected to the rains of spring that will be the real test of the "fix". I do hope your right though, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
328 Posts
brentil said:
I remember buying a Honda Accord in the early 90s and the manual listed several odd sounds as "features" of the Accord. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts