Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked at both cars before deciding, drove both and enjoyed both, read the engineering documentation and reviews and bought the sky instead. I want to tell you how it "felt" to me, I think fresh is a good word. The Solstice has a feeling of being an "old" look to it.
I know there are folks who desire retro looking sports cars and thats fine. It sets them comfortably in their past and I say let them enjoy. I like to look ahead, I'm not looking for the past and the feeling I had as a kid. I am still loving my life every single moment and I think the Sky speaks to just that part of me. The part that's headed out on the road, around the next turn and excited to see what the next crossroad brings into view.
That may be kinda hokey to some and that's alright with me if you think so. I just felt the Sky reflected that new unique style I hadn't seen before, fresh new and headed towards the horizon. Set side by side I love the Sky over the setting "SOL" (sun). you know that after the sun goes down there's nothing left but that beautiful Sky.
So when I finally have my baby of 31 years with me and we can have our first experience riding along together, I hope the others who "feel" like this will come and join us on the coast highway, on a fine summers evening, in between the evening and the day looking for the future together.
Wishing you all a great ride and open Sky's,
StarlightSky
$1500 deposit 06/14
imaged 23/06
????
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan top
6 Disc Monssoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Cold Air Intake
Wind screen

·
Registered
421 Posts
StarlightSky said:
I am still loving my life every single moment and I think the Sky speaks to just that part of me. The part that's headed out on the road, around the next turn and excited to see what the next crossroad brings into view.
That may be kinda hokey to some and that's alright with me if you think so. I just felt the Sky reflected that new unique style I hadn't seen before, fresh new and headed towards the horizon. Set side by side I love the Sky over the setting "SOL" (sun). you know that after the sun goes down there's nothing left but that beautiful Sky.
So when I finally have my baby of 31 years with me and we can have our first experience riding along together, I hope the others who "feel" like this will come and join us on the coast highway, on a fine summers evening, in between the evening and the day looking for the future together.
Very nicely written. Last Summer I did a road trip to No CA in a 2000 Solera and back. Did Hwy out and did the National Parks coming back. I just might have to do a repeat in my Sky and join you. The rides through Yosemite would be awesome in a Sky. Not like the flat roads of the Midwest at all. You've got Sky country. Then again, any road is a Skyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
StarlightSky said:
I looked at both cars before deciding, drove both and enjoyed both, read the engineering documentation and reviews and bought the sky instead. I want to tell you how it "felt" to me, I think fresh is a good word. The Solstice has a feeling of being an "old" look to it.
I know there are folks who desire retro looking sports cars and thats fine. It sets them comfortably in their past and I say let them enjoy. I like to look ahead, I'm not looking for the past and the feeling I had as a kid. I am still loving my life every single moment and I think the Sky speaks to just that part of me. The part that's headed out on the road, around the next turn and excited to see what the next crossroad brings into view.
StarlightSky
$1500 deposit 06/14
imaged 23/06
????
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan top
6 Disc Monssoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Cold Air Intake
Wind screen
Articulate...you could easily be an writer.....:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Solstice doesn't look like anything, but SKY reminds me some...
Rear looks nice but not the front.
But both is Kappa, and I'm looking forward to see Opel and Saab etc in the future.

·
Registered
57 Posts
StarlightSky said:
Extremely well said! I have owned the "older" sports cars of the past ( Spitfire, Bugeye, MGC GT) and I also like the fresh look of the Sky. I had the option of driving off the lot with a Solstice or putting down a deposit and waiting 4 months on a Sky. Needless to say, I am in the waiting stage for my Sky.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Another welcome from Canada! Try not to let the wait get to ya.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It comes down to personal preference. I loved the Solstice until I saw it side by side with the Sky. Then the Solstice looked a little boring to me. For cars with identical platforms they really are 2 distinctly different vehicles.

In defense of the Solstice, it has a truly classic Roadster look. There's probably zero risk the style will look "dated" years from now. If you took an Old Triumph and modernized it nicely for 2006--the Solstice would do the trick with no excuses.

I prefer the Sky. But I'd admit its a much more aggressive, bolder look. The risk is it may look like a Corvette/Viper Exotic wannabee in a few years. But the thing I like about the Sky is it dares to compete with $100,000 + Cars on looks. I believe, though, with limited production the Sky will be a Home Run of Epic proportions for years to come.

·
Registered
637 Posts
the difference...

The Solstice looks goofy and the Sky looks sweet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
akinmb said:
The Solstice looks goofy and the Sky looks sweet.
I think we should be a little easier on the sol people. I dont think they trash the sky like this. Just trying to turn over a new leaf!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
HotSky said:
I think we should be a little easier on the sol people. I dont think they trash the sky like this. Just trying to turn over a new leaf!
Nah. Who cares about the politically correct garbagiola? It's not my problem if they bought a Solstice.

I did a post, "So why not a Solstice?" The answer came down in two major categories. Either you liked Saturn as a brand and had experience with their quality and so you wanted a Saturn Roadster, or it came down to styling. For most people, it was styling.

So, the Sky has "better styling." That means it "looks better." That means the Solstice "looks not as good" or the Solstice "looks worse" or go all the way over the line and the Solstice is "ugly." Some people use that word. The word "goofy" is used earlier in this thread and that one sums up my personal feelings pretty accurately.

"The Solstice is one goofy-lookin' car." Yup. That sums up my sentiments right there. Don't need to edit a single word of that. It perfectly captures my feelings.

I have certain tastes. I think the Scion little matchbox thing with the square bumpers is hideous and reflects a total lack of style. Some people love it. I think the Honda Element is one of the worst looking things ever. The plastic panels on the body are hideous to me. I swear, when I first saw one, I thought it was one of those "road test" cars where they replace body parts with something specifically ugly so that the auto mags can't snap spy photos of what new cars are going to look like before they are revealed. I was shocked when I learned that it was made that way on purpose. And people buy them, and actualyl claim that they like the way they look. Go figure.

People look at the Solstice, and if they don't know what it is they go, "Oh yeah. That's the new little Pontiac thing that competes with the Miata." They look at the Sky and go, "WOW! What is THAT? It's gorgeous!"

The SKY has a certain mystery to it. It has a finely-crafted set of lines that make it look like a much more expensive European Exotic. If you don't know what it is, you think it is more than it is. And something that costs a lot more, too.

The Soltice looks like - a Pontiac. If you don't know what it is, you can immediately figure out that it's "just a Pontiac." Not that there is anything wrong with Pontiacs. My last car was a Pontiac, and it was very good to me. But it is hardly "exotic."

I could have bought a Solstice, got it earlier and paid less. I said no thanks, no thanks, and no thanks. And it was all because of looks.

The Solstice looks like exactly what it is: A Pontiac that tries to capture the romance and classic roadster lines of a tradition of great cars of the past.

The SKY is a fresh, clean, modern roadster - a new statement as a great car of today, not an attempt to capture the spirit of great cars of the past.

I will not tread gently upon the feelings of Solstice owners, and I don't expect them to tread gently upon mine. If a Solstice owner said to me, "The SKY is ugly compared to the Solstice," I would dismiss it and probably say something like, "Well, maybe to you. I, for one, feel that the SKY is a much better looking car."

Somehow, though, when somebody says that the "Solstice is not as pretty as the SKY" you get immediate protests. "No. Unh uh! It's the same car. The Solstice is the same as the SKY. They are the same!" To me, that is just Solstice owners attempting to latch on to the SKY's good looks. Like an ugly girl boasting that her sister is a cheerleader.

Some people prefer the Solstice. Fine. Some people like the Scion Shoebox and the Honda Element, too. Good for them.

But I reserve the right to say that the Scion is an "Ugly Box," the Honda Element is a "Frankenstein Monstrosity," and the Pontiac Solstice is "Goofy-Lookin'."

And I often do. :skep:

·
Registered
19 Posts
jdigiant said:
For most people, it was styling.

So, the Sky has "better styling." That means it "looks better."

*********Maybe in your eyes.*************

"The Solstice is one goofy-lookin' car." Yup. That sums up my sentiments right there.

I guess that s:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: why they are making twice as many Solstice then the Sky, because they are ugly ?

Now I know why your on so many peoples ignore list. You just ramble on and on and make yourself sound like such a fool !

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
jdigiant said:
Nah. Who cares about the politically correct garbagiola?
Some of us care! :mad: Remember that we get a lot of help and advice from our Solstice owning friends. I wouldn't want to see this post degrade to the point where it has to be removed... or worse... someone banned! :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
rick112 said:
Some of us care! :mad: Remember that we get a lot of help and advice from our Solstice owning friends. I wouldn't want to see this post degrade to the point where it has to be removed... or worse... someone banned! :D
Hey, Rick... I was responding to this:

Kappa specifically admitted in a previous post that he joined the SKY forum just to call me a JERK. Now he feels compelled to call me a fool. I'm supposed to be easier on the "sol people" when this one "sol people" keeps coming over here to the SKY forum and calling me names?

I may say that the Solstice is "Goofy-Lookin'" but at least I don't hunt down individual Solstice owners just to call them offensive names*.

*Although I must confess that my motives are less than pure; I secretly fear that they'll enjoy the recognition as much as I do, and I don't want to give them that satisfaction!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
jdigiant said:
Nah. Who cares about the politically correct garbagiola? It's not my problem if they bought a Solstice.

But I reserve the right to say that the Scion is an "Ugly Box," the Honda Element is a "Frankenstein Monstrosity," and the Pontiac Solstice is "Goofy-Lookin'."

Well said

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
jdigiant said:
I'm supposed to be easier on the "sol people" when this one "sol people" keeps coming over here to the SKY forum and calling me names?
If a user is causing you problems, you are supposed to report that person to the mods!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rick112 said:
If a user is causing you problems, you are supposed to report that person to the mods!
Sounds like he just did.....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
rick112 said:
I did not report the user because they were not "causing me problems." They were just behaving badly and I thought illustrating my point rather well.

As for the Solstice, yes - their owners offer lots of valuable technical insight. I have stated that myself many times.

It would be rude for me to say to a young lady, "You're not as pretty as your sister." I would never do that. And while I might comment to my buddies over a beer which of the two sisters I found most attractive, I would feel bad if the less attractive of the sisters overheard my comments.

Realizing that owners of other vehicles do frequent this forum, I should have taken the same approach when commenting on the styling of sheetmetal.

I do apologize.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jdigiant said:
It would be rude for me to say to a young lady, "You're not as pretty as your sister." I would never do that. And while I might comment to my buddies over a beer which of the two sisters I found most attractive, I would feel bad if the less attractive of the sisters overheard my comments.
You feel bad ????:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts