Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly its the mode control doing the clicking noise in the dash about midway.

Tell me its not as bad to change as in the manual! Complete dash removal!!

I think I have a 6 hour labor estimate from a shop. I think they are at $110/hr.

My 'mode' is stuck in defrost position and I only have A/C in the tiny vent on the left.
Strange that I can't get any heat out at all. In any positions.

Do I have a bad temperature actuator in addition to the mode control actuator?

The A/C reset/calibration goes thru the motions but never completes.

Strangely, the problem started after the car had its battery dead and out for an extended time. I thought recalibrate would fix it.

Ideas appreciated.

Bo Barry
'07 Sky Redline 2.0L

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I always thought both actuators are removable without removing the dash board or center console. You might want to remove the driver seat to make enough room to squirm in the footwell.....maybe enough room to lay on your back with your legs up in the air. I had to do that to replace what I thought was a bad brake pedal position sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not an easy replacement for sure, but you're correct, it can be done without removing the dash. If you are a contortionist, it is a Major advantage!
The two at the bottom are manageable but the mode actuator up higher needs dash removal according to the manual. And service shop said same.
Are you sire we are talking about thesame one. It controls the outlet of the air. Mine is stuck in defrost mode.
Sure wishI could figure this out for sure. TNX reply!! Loving my sky 'classic' at 85K miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adding to the confusion here's more info
The calibrate blows air in all ports as expected, but the 3 lights never go out. Tried 4 times
The MODE switch does work in that it turns A/C on when put in defrost mode.
The TEMP switch does nothing.
Only A/C out defrost port.
The constant clicking continues.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hold the phone! Something doesn't add up.
1. During calibration the air blows out ALL ports.
2. But now it only blows DEFROST port.
3. Putting the mode switch turns on the A/C.
4. BOTH the temp and mode are inoperative.
5. The mode switch has been used VERY LITTLE.
6. The temp control does not turn on heat.
7. The car was parked a long time with NO BATTERY.

I'm thinking it has to do with 7. Is there a MASTER REBOOT for the car?

I've tried the calibrate several times but it never completes.
I have until winter to figure this out.🤔
I have the big service manuals to dig into.
Ideas?
Thanks Bo

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
My HVAC stopped working entirely and I was also heading into winter so I HAD to get it fixed. The shop charged me just over $600 to take the dash off, find the problem (and also found a short in the process) and fix it. IMO... it is fixed and works perfectly now. Worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My HVAC stopped working entirely and I was also heading into winter so I HAD to get it fixed. The shop charged me just over $600 to take the dash off, find the problem (and also found a short in the process) and fix it. IMO... it is fixed and works perfectly now. Worth.
Do you know what failed?
My temp control and mode/position actuator failed. I only have A/C out the defrost vent. The recalibrate procedure seems to work, but never completes. I think it does all the steps, but I'm not sure.
The $600 sounds good. I think Cadillac is $160/hr. and now inexperienced managets/ mechanics. Local independent is $110. More info on yours might help.
Thanks. Bo Barry W4GHV since '54

1 - 12 of 12 Posts