Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next generation SKY is something to see!

0-60 in 4.7 sec, 200hp, top speed 151 mph, 1841 lb ft @1950 rpm, gas trank moved in front of rear wheels, no rear clam shell, removable soft top with storage bag, optional hard top, tinted glass, LAMINATED WIND SCREEN, different tires, improved exhaust pipes and more room in the trunk.

I like current body style better but it is beautiful and improved.

Want to see more?

check out: http://www.vx220london.com/

:cool:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The next generation SKY is something to see!

0-60 in 4.7 sec, 200hp, top speed 151 mph, 1841 lb ft @1950 rpm, gas trank moved in front of rear wheels, no rear clam shell, removable soft top with storage bag, optional hard top, tinted glass, LAMINATED WIND SCREEN, different tires, improved exhaust pipes and more room in the trunk.

I like current body style better but it is beautiful and improved.

Want to see more?

check out: http://www.vx220london.com/

:cool:
Rik is correct. And with 1841 lbs/ft it would twist the car into a pretzel when the tires DID get some grip!!! :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very little SKY there, a rear wheel drive roadster......this is not. This is an exotic sports car, don't get me wrong there is nothing bad about that, but it isn't a SKY. The car is nice, but not for me.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh really? Where did you get your information?
Heavenlysky, the style for the SKY came from the Vauxhall sports car.
The current VX220 and VXR220 are on their website and currently available ... so it claims.
http://www.vx220london.com/ you may need to type it in because I found my computer security blocked it but I could view it completely if I did a www.

Interesting viewing I thought. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
And heaven help you if you're a passenger - the passenger seat is like 30% smaller than the driver's seat.

The driver's seat ain't all that big, either...

·
Registered
144 Posts
This information doesnt seem right.. Opel designed the sky not Vuxhual...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Boy oh boy, here we go.......

O.K. first there was the Vauxhall VX220 and the Opel Speedster, same car - diffrent badges.

They were MR cars (mid engine, rear wheel drive) they has a somewhat good run in the UK (Vauxhall) and the rest of Europe (Opel)

Then came time to make a new generation of said cars, Vauxhall came up with the Vauxhall VX Lightning concept car.

Gee can we guess what THAT is boys and girls?! lol

Well for some reason the company that made the damned thing didn't get the O.K. from GM to make it :confused: but around that same time the Solstice Concept was ALSO shown and folks loved it.......so them GM took the VX and gave it Solstice Skin but it took making a whole new platform to do so.......a NEW time and MONEY consuming platform for just ONE car?! - nah doesn't work that way.

So they gave the VX to Opel and said "Here - make this realistic" and they did and called it the GT, folks in Europe went WILD since GM had the "Turn Saturn into Opel US!" plan in the works guess what the first car is to get that plan underway?.......Our Sky. :thumbs:

And since EVERYONE loves these cars and the Vauxhall/Opel design is getting the most love - this is the one they will whore out the most.

The GM Kappa Story in a nutshell I belive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Damn, this whole scenerio reads like a B rated soap...:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
820 Posts
GUYS! (and ladies), this is NOT a next generation sky. They stopped making this vehicle. They would not replace the Sky (a new design), with this (an old design). Yes, some of this car was supposed to be an influence for the lightning(which is the showcar that the sky came from). But this is not a future sky.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Boy oh boy, here we go.......

O.K. first there was the Vauxhall VX220 and the Opel Speedster, same car - diffrent badges.

They were MR cars (mid engine, rear wheel drive) they has a somewhat good run in the UK (Vauxhall) and the rest of Europe (Opel)

Then came time to make a new generation of said cars, Vauxhall came up with the Vauxhall VX Lightning concept car.

Gee can we guess what THAT is boys and girls?! lol

Well for some reason the company that made the damned thing didn't get the O.K. from GM to make it :confused: but around that same time the Solstice Concept was ALSO shown and folks loved it.......so them GM took the VX and gave it Solstice Skin but it took making a whole new platform to do so.......a NEW time and MONEY consuming platform for just ONE car?! - nah doesn't work that way.

So they gave the VX to Opel and said "Here - make this realistic" and they did and called it the GT, folks in Europe went WILD since GM had the "Turn Saturn into Opel US!" plan in the works guess what the first car is to get that plan underway?.......Our Sky. :thumbs:

And since EVERYONE loves these cars and the Vauxhall/Opel design is getting the most love - this is the one they will whore out the most.

The GM Kappa Story in a nutshell I belive.
It's not far off, but your order is off for the Kappa story.

FIRST came the Solstice convertible and coupe - 2002 NAIAS, Jan 2002.

THEN came the Vauxhall VX Lightning. May 2003. Based off the same platform (not yet named Kappa).

Then, the go-ahead about similar timeframe for the Solstice as a go program... it was first sighted on road in August 2003 in/around SE Michigan. The platform was designed around a LHD only, no provisions for RHD. Ergo - no VX lightning.

THEN, the VX lightning dropped the lightning, became the Vauxhall VX, and GM was hard at work, translating the styling from the VX to the Saturn SKY (reusing the name :rolleyes: ).

At 2004 NAIAS, a second show car, the Vauxhall VX was shown (not many people realised there were two cars), along with a near-production level Solstice (THE original kappa), and two other styling exercises called the Saturn Curve and the Chevy Nomad - neither of which took off due to other platform issues and only moderate enthusiasm. GM was really working behind the scenese to make the SKY a reality at this point, as a reinterpretation of the VX styling.

It was at the 2004 NAIAS that the platform was officially named "Kappa". Also shown was the "chassis skeleton" or "rolling chassis" for the platform, exhibiting the structure, chassis, engine, trans, etc. Rumor has it that the platform name, "Kappa", was known several months before the 2004 NAIAS internally.

At 2005 NAIAS, a production Solstice was shown, the Saturn SKY was officially announced after 4-6 months of rumors that it was coming, and also shown at this show. About this time, SkyRoadster.com was established from the several months of discussion on Solsticeforum.com http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15691&postcount=1

Rumblings of an Opel version of the Kappa started bubbling up about the same time the first Solstices were being delivered (August 2005). Eventually, the Opel GT was announced, but we had already figured out it would be a rebadged SKY.

The SKY redline and the Solstice GXP were announced around March 2006. About the same time, at the Geneva Auto Show in march 2006, the official announcement of the Opel GT (as basically an opel-badged SKY RedLine) was complete.

Notice the evolution, though -
FIRST came the Solstice,
THEN the VX Lightning,
THEN the VX-morphing-into-Saturn SKY,
THEN the turbo version of the SKY eventually becoming the Opel GT (and a handful of auto trans Daewoo G2X which are ALSO rebadged Saturn SKY RedLines).

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's not far off, but your order is off for the Kappa story.

FIRST came the Solstice convertible and coupe - 2002 NAIAS, Jan 2002.

THEN came the Vauxhall VX Lightning. May 2003. Based off the same platform (not yet named Kappa).

Then, the go-ahead about similar timeframe for the Solstice as a go program... it was first sighted on road in August 2003 in/around SE Michigan. The platform was designed around a LHD only, no provisions for RHD. Ergo - no VX lightning.

THEN, the VX lightning dropped the lightning, became the Vauxhall VX, and GM was hard at work, translating the styling from the VX to the Saturn SKY (reusing the name :rolleyes: ).

At 2004 NAIAS, a second show car, the Vauxhall VX was shown (not many people realised there were two cars), along with a near-production level Solstice (THE original kappa), and two other styling exercises called the Saturn Curve and the Chevy Nomad - neither of which took off due to other platform issues and only moderate enthusiasm. GM was really working behind the scenese to make the SKY a reality at this point, as a reinterpretation of the VX styling.

It was at the 2004 NAIAS that the platform was officially named "Kappa". Also shown was the "chassis skeleton" or "rolling chassis" for the platform, exhibiting the structure, chassis, engine, trans, etc. Rumor has it that the platform name, "Kappa", was known several months before the 2004 NAIAS internally.

At 2005 NAIAS, a production Solstice was shown, the Saturn SKY was officially announced after 4-6 months of rumors that it was coming, and also shown at this show. About this time, SkyRoadster.com was established from the several months of discussion on Solsticeforum.com http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15691&postcount=1

Rumblings of an Opel version of the Kappa started bubbling up about the same time the first Solstices were being delivered (August 2005). Eventually, the Opel GT was announced, but we had already figured out it would be a rebadged SKY.

The SKY redline and the Solstice GXP were announced around March 2006. About the same time, at the Geneva Auto Show in march 2006, the official announcement of the Opel GT (as basically an opel-badged SKY RedLine) was complete.

Notice the evolution, though -
FIRST came the Solstice,
THEN the VX Lightning,
THEN the VX-morphing-into-Saturn SKY,
THEN the turbo version of the SKY eventually becoming the Opel GT (and a handful of auto trans Daewoo G2X which are ALSO rebadged Saturn SKY RedLines).

Oh my, thanks for the education! :cheers: - I thought G2X's were gonna be N/A only? :confused:

Also needless to say.......I woulda given anything just about to have a VXR220 Turbo

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh my, thanks for the education! :cheers: - I thought G2X's were gonna be N/A only? :confused:

Also needless to say.......I woulda given anything just about to have a VXR220 Turbo

If money is no object just get a Lotus, by all accounts they are a much better handling car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Warning...impending hijack!!!

And the Lotus is nortoriously nearly impossible to flip over because of that...

At the time it came out, I was working for a company that hired Lotus Group to do some flow design work for our product. Several people I worked with on that project were from the Lotus group. I met the one person at that time who somehow managed to roll it over on the other side of the pond.

Mind you, they messed up the calculations on the design and didn't compensate for the pressure drop over 1 meter high X 1 meter wide, but with a space of only ~0.25" gap to pump a liquid about 2.5X more dense than water. Guess that's why they stick to profiling airflow and not liquids.... I'd let em design my CAI, but not my gas, oil, or water pump/pipings.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do a Google search 'Saturn Sky 2002' and see what the Sky could have been before GM decided to use the Vauxhal Lightning design.
I don't think it would have been much of a head turner. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do a Google search 'Saturn Sky 2002' and see what the Sky could have been before GM decided to use the Vauxhal Lightning design.
I don't think it would have been much of a head turner. :)
the 2002 sky design is a joke, saturn was just kiddin dont take those pics seriously..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts