Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Exactly....not saying this is gospel....but u know the sticker that is placed on your side of the door...it has the build date and Vin#....I say that that is printed the exact time the Vin# is assigned....not saying this is gospel but it would seem logical.
Well, if your door label is like mine, it doesn't show a "build date", it shows a "build month".

>:)

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sir, you have no idea how I wish I had access to the build data you do. LOL The only folks capable of compiling that info are those who work for GM. :D Us mere mortals don't have access to that kind of data that I know of. (Otherwise I'd probably have a new hobby....)

And as a software developer, blasphemy you calling an Excel spreadsheet a database. LOL ;)
I would echo that sentiment, exactly.

For the most part, the only difference between a spreadsheet and a "database" is the way you are looking at the data.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,355 Posts
For the most part, the only difference between a spreadsheet and a "database" is the way you are looking at the data.
Physically, a database table and a spreadsheet table are no different from one another. They can be identical. It comes down to purpose.

Spreadsheets are for crunching numeric data and achieving some kind of output.
Databases are for organizing data to make it easier to relate it to other data and filter specific data.

Though spreadsheets can do lookups and Database reports can calculate figures, these tasks are not accomplished nearly as well as they are in the other program.

I used both when putting together my report on the air bag recall. All the data I gathered I put into a database then ran queries to pull out the specific data I was looking for. I could then export that to Excel to run calculations and produce the graphs and comparisons I put in the report. I could have done it in one or the other, but it was easier to just separate the duties.

Coming back round to the topic though, I was only getting on to the engineer about that comparison. LOL I'd be more interested in helping him find his interest in this again to complete the "database".

EDIT: I just got to thinking about this, If we could get a table from @davhamm that included the vin for each vehicle we could use that as a unique key field and combine his data with the data we have provided to NHTSA by GM for the recall into one table in about 10 seconds using a simple join query in a database. We'd only need vin and then whatever extra data beyond build date, warranty date, and the info we can gleam from the vin such as SE editions, trans type, and Redline/GXP/Base/Sky/Solstice...

I've ran queries for SE editions just so I can quickly pull that data.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Physically, a database table and a spreadsheet table are no different from one another. They can be identical. It comes down to purpose.

Spreadsheets are for crunching numeric data and achieving some kind of output.
Databases are for organizing data to make it easier to relate it to other data and filter specific data.

Though spreadsheets can do lookups and Database reports can calculate figures, these tasks are not accomplished nearly as well as they are in the other program.

I used both when putting together my report on the air bag recall. All the data I gathered I put into a database then ran queries to pull out the specific data I was looking for. I could then export that to Excel to run calculations and produce the graphs and comparisons I put in the report. I could have done it in one or the other, but it was easier to just separate the duties.

Coming back round to the topic though, I was only getting on to the engineer about that comparison. LOL I'd be more interested in helping him find his interest in this again to complete the "database".

EDIT: I just got to thinking about this, If we could get a table from @davhamm that included the vin for each vehicle we could use that as a unique key field and combine his data with the data we have provided to NHTSA by GM for the recall into one table in about 10 seconds using a simple join query in a database. We'd only need vin and then whatever extra data beyond build date, warranty date, and the info we can gleam from the vin such as SE editions, trans type, and Redline/GXP/Base/Sky/Solstice...

I've ran queries for SE editions just so I can quickly pull that data.
Odd, I can't see this or many of the other recent posts to this thread in the thread..

Robo, I got that and whole lot more.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
An educated guess is the build date is the day it receives a Vin number.
YOU DID NOT JUST DO THAT...

It's just a VIN or its a VI number... it is not a Vehicle Identification Number Number.

pet peeve.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Odd, I can't see this or many of the other recent posts to this thread in the thread..

Robo, I got that and whole lot more.
There's a bunch of weirdness going on right now, I just had a message I was typing vaporize -zap- gone!

Lateron!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Working in engineering for 30yrs, our department always talks about making a database of xx... 99% of the time, its just a spreadsheet. We do have a few databases.

if its ***.xls its a spreadsheet.

LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,355 Posts
Working in engineering for 30yrs, our department always talks about making a database of xx... 99% of the time, its just a spreadsheet. We do have a few databases.

if its ***.xls its a spreadsheet.

LOL
Yea, not much different here. It's kind of like calling it a VIN Number...:grin::grin:>:)0:)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
YOU R CORRECT! I even went out to check my label....:grin:
So did I, been a long time since I looked at it. It is kind of a useless label, but that's just my opinion, as I'm sure that someone inside GM understands its purpose.

Oh well . . . moving on . . .

:willy:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
For the future, shall I assume the the GM sourced "build date" is when the car started down the line? or when it rolled off the end of the line?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Thank you.

Did I(we) ever get an answer to that question? I had always assumed that it was the day the car rolled off the end of the line, fully built and ready for shipment. But much of this thread points to the other end of the line where there is an empty space which starts to be filled by car parts.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
When GM says the build date was 5/1, that is close enough for me, it's also the best info I have from what GM released to the NHTSA.

For the most part it is relatively immaterial, except as it relates to all the other build dates that are on the lists.

I am well aware of the bust out, bust in cycling and that a car may spend more than one day on the line. For the future, shall I assume the the GM sourced "build date" is when the car started down the line? or when it rolled off the end of the line?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Thank you.

Did I(we) ever get an answer to that question? I had always assumed that it was the day the car rolled off the end of the line, fully built and ready for shipment. But much of this thread points to the other end of the line where there is an empty space which starts to be filled by car parts.

Not sure what "build date" gm gave NHTSA, if some one wants to provide me a VIN and the "GM BUILD DATE" I can pull more info.

For lack of a better VIN, I went to the next one in my Blue database(er spreadsheet) that needed info. (ROBO--big bummer just found I did not copy this page, onto the tabs before, so I need to add it to the first half that I thought were done.. UGH..

Anyhow for Hydro blue: 1G8MD35B09Y107835 The sheet list
Build Date: 04/24/2009
From the component sheet I can tell; (There are times with these to lazy to type all that. )
10-ENGINE ASSEMBLY 4/21
61-TRANSMISSION 4/21
86-ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM) 5/1/2009
87-BODY CONTROL MODULE 5/1
AB-IR-MODULE ASM-INFLATOR 4/23
AH-IR-SENSOR ASM-LEFT 5/1
AH-IR-SENSOR ASM-RIGHT 5/1
AL-IR-MODULE ASM-I/P 4/21
AS-SENSING DIAGNOSTIC MODULE 5/1
CB-SEQ NUM (FLEX) BODY ASM 3/20 {I would guess this it the beginning of body build}
CC-SEQ NUM (FLEX) BODY ASM 3/26
CF-SEQ NUM (FLEX) PAINT PROCESS 4/15
CG-SEQ NUM (FLEX) PAINT PROCESS 3/26
CP-SEQ NUM (FLEX) GEN ASM 4/16 {My guess car hit the line??}
CZ-SEQ NUM (FLEX) GEN ASM 5/4 {My Guess car left plant}

So nothing in the component tracking lines up with the GM build date.

Just saw this note at top of page: This screen allows users to view the information on various major components added to the VIN selected during vehicle build.

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Registered
77 Posts
$8k. 67,001. Needs a little work but car is solid. And looks like it was neglected as no recalls were fixed. But I found the car I was looking for, took me a year.
I love that you guys have all this info on these cars. Fun fact: there was a 2010 built the same week as my car. Mine was built on friday, 2010 was built 5 days ealier on monday.

·
Registered
750 Posts
[
Sir, you have no idea how I wish I had access to the build data you do. LOL The only folks capable of compiling that info are those who work for GM. /forums/images/smilies/biggrin2.gif Us mere mortals don't have access to that kind of data that I know of. (Otherwise I'd probably have a new hobby....)
Funny I remember working on that spreadsheet, and before his work I went on carfax and put in every vin # that possibly could have been a hydro blue yes 4 different possibilities for the beginning (1.hydro n/a manual, 2.hydro n/a auto, 3.hydro turbo manual, 4.hydro turbo auto) part and like 20000 possibilities for the unique identifier.

If I recall even doing that I was missing like 4 of them until he confirmed that I had somehow mistyped them in carfax...
I have no idea why I spent the time doing it but I did.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts