Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
As some of you guys might know, we are the original innovators of the Clear wind deflector for the Solstice also known as the KappaShield. The KappaShield has been a huge hit amongst our Solstice customers, so now it's time to have a KappaShield for the Sky.

What is a wind deflector or KappaShield?
- All roadsters have turbulence in the cockpit due to the fact that roadsters don't have a rear windshield. Ever driven around in a convertible with a hat on and everytime you get a certain speed the hat just wants to go flying off? ... that's because of the turbulence. The KappaShield plays the part of temporary rear windshield to decrease turbulence and wind noise. The KappaShield will not eliminate ALL the wind in the car therefore still keeping the sensation of a open top roadster.

GM offers a factory wind deflector, but most Sky and Solstice owners don't buy it because you have to drill into the car to install it. Our KappaShield requires no drilling or trimming what so ever.

Below are a few photos of the KappaShield installed on our Solstice.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

We are currently redesigning the Sky KappasShield because the humps and trunk are different from that of the Solstice, the humps are more angular and taller. The photos below show the difference in curvature between the Solstice KappaShield and Sky trunk humps. We will be fitting the newly designed shield on a Sky shortly and I will keep you guys in the loop. We are planning on having the new Sky KappaShield in stock in the next couple of weeks. I will be updating this thread everytime we make some progress. Please feel free to give us your input and suggestions... I am all ears

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
do you have a dealer in Canada ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
This will be my first upgrade. Thanks for the info about the Solstice product not fitting the Sky very well. If you need a demo car and a spokesman, let me know... he he he.. JK :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Stig said:
We do ship to Canada, but I don't think we have a dealer there yet.

Neil
You could probably have the shield here before we get our Skys:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
The Stig said:
Hi Everyone
As some of you guys might know, we are the original innovators of the Clear wind deflector for the Solstice also known as the KappaShield. The KappaShield has been a huge hit amongst our Solstice customers, so now it's time to have a KappaShield for the Sky.

What is a wind deflector or KappaShield?
- All roadsters have turbulence in the cockpit due to the fact that roadsters don't have a rear windshield. Ever driven around in a convertible with a hat on and everytime you get a certain speed the hat just wants to go flying off? ... that's because of the turbulence. The KappaShield plays the part of temporary rear windshield to decrease turbulence and wind noise. The KappaShield will not eliminate ALL the wind in the car therefore still keeping the sensation of a open top roadster.

GM offers a factory wind deflector, but most Sky and Solstice owners don't buy it because you have to drill into the car to install it. Our KappaShield requires no drilling or trimming what so ever.

Below are a few photos of the KappaShield installed on our Solstice.

Neil
:thumbs: Ready, willing, and able. Just say when.:patriot:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I noticed the difference but wasn't sure. Thanks for adding the additional design. Have you also looked into whether there's any difference in the clearance between the decklid and the part in front of it? It looks really tight to me and made me wonder if there's enough space for any windscreen. Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Stig said:
We are currently redesigning the Sky KappasShield because .........
Will we be able to raise the top with your shield in place, or do we have to take it off before we raise the top?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Will you be offering any SATURN or SKY decals to be placed on the Kappashield? Since I first saw the Kappashield advertised for the Solstice, I knew I was going to order one for my SKY. I'd just like to dress it up a little. Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wind deflector not necessary!

As some of you who have followed my posts, know that I own several roadsters. At the present a Sky, a BMW Z4 and a Miata. In the past I owned several others including a BMW Z3, TR6 & 7, '67 Corvette, '55 Bird etc. I also am active in car clubs where we go a lot of places and drive fast. For what it's worth, I have observed that the wind is a real problem at high speeds in the Z3 and the Miata. I added win deflectors to them and it helped. I got one for the Z4 and wound up removing it as it didn't make much difference. What is similar to the Z4 and the Sky is that you sit low in those cars whereas you sit high in the Z3 and Miata. I drove my Sky on the interstate at 75 mph and was amazed as to how little wind problem there was. I can't see how that tiny wind deflector for the Sky will make little if any difference, except the trouble of putting that little thing on and off. For me, I'll pass. Sorry Kappashere. That is just my learned opinion. If you feel like you would like one, go for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Stig said:
We are currently redesigning the Sky KappasShield because the humps and trunk are different from that of the Solstice, the humps are more angular and taller. The photos below show the difference in curvature between the Solstice KappaShield and Sky trunk humps. We will be fitting the newly designed shield on a Sky shortly and I will keep you guys in the loop. We are planning on having the new Sky KappaShield in stock in the next couple of weeks. I will be updating this thread everytime we make some progress. Please feel free to give us your input and suggestions... I am all ears

Neil
Thanks, I have been waiting. I probably would have already bought one since the reviews on the Solstice forum have been great. But after seeing the sky in person I noticed the humps were different, so I have been waiting to see if modifications would be coming out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 2

Hey guys
We are almost there. We test fitted and we are still a few millimeters off, but the next prototype should be the right one. See photos below of the new design (keep in mind it is a prototype and it isn't perfect)... a little different from the Solstice KappaShield but the same basic shape. We are working quick to bring the new Kappashield :willy:

Neil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Remove?

skyfan said:
As some of you who have followed my posts, know that I own several roadsters. At the present a Sky, a BMW Z4 and a Miata. In the past I owned several others including a BMW Z3, TR6 & 7, '67 Corvette, '55 Bird etc. I also am active in car clubs where we go a lot of places and drive fast. For what it's worth, I have observed that the wind is a real problem at high speeds in the Z3 and the Miata. I added win deflectors to them and it helped. I got one for the Z4 and wound up removing it as it didn't make much difference. What is similar to the Z4 and the Sky is that you sit low in those cars whereas you sit high in the Z3 and Miata. I drove my Sky on the interstate at 75 mph and was amazed as to how little wind problem there was. I can't see how that tiny wind deflector for the Sky will make little if any difference, except the trouble of putting that little thing on and off. For me, I'll pass. Sorry Kappashere. That is just my learned opinion. If you feel like you would like one, go for it.
According to the Kkappashpere website they do recommend removing the shield when putting the top up and include a protective case and say that it only takes a few seconds to remove. I thought I saw another product that did not have to be removed to put the top up or down.

I am thinking that even if the kappashield makes a tiny difference - it looks cool - like it should have been included from the factory - so I will likely get one (assuming that I can get a car this year, which is not certain yet - but is definitely on my list of things to do this fall).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Lil GTO said:
According to the Kkappashpere website they do recommend removing the shield when putting the top up and include a protective case and say that it only takes a few seconds to remove.
That is one reason that makes me shy away from the KappaShield.

·
Registered
105 Posts
what is the cost?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
SkySabre said:
Here is the info on the other screen you are probably referring to. http://www.allantewindscreen.com/Saturn_Sky_Installation_Instructions.html

They say you do not have to take it off.
Stig, is there anything that you know of that is different between yours and the Allante that would allow the Allante windscreen to stay on with the top up?

Or is it only that you feel it is more cautious not to have the shield on with the top up? If so why?

I personally do not see anything different between either that would require one to be taken off when the other one isn't.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
richmcc said:
Stig, is there anything that you know of that is different between yours and the Allante that would allow the Allante windscreen to stay on with the top up?

Or is it only that you feel it is more cautious not to have the shield on with the top up? If so why?

I personally do not see anything different between either that would require one to be taken off when the other one isn't.
I might be wrong but, I don't see any difference, other than the fact that we like to take the cautious route when it comes to our clients. We had the same reaction when we launched this product with our Solstice customers... "What, you have to take the Shield off when putting the top up?!" But after they saw how easy and fast it was to do so, the concern simply went away. Honestly it takes a whole 5 seconds to take the kappashield off and in the trunk.

Just to make things clear though... you can park your car and put the top up with the kappashield on, what we don't recommend is driving with both the shield and top up... the reason being that the shield rests against the rear window of the top and rubs against the rear defrost lines. I personally never drive around with the kappashield and top up at the same time, the way I look at it, if I am going to go through the effort to put the manual top up what's another 5 seconds to remove the kappashield? :)

Neil

1 - 20 of 35 Posts