Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an early production 2007 Base with a single CD player and Monsoon Amp. Here are my 2007 option codes.
Font Menu Number Signage Temperature

My wife is asking me about a radio with a USB port for a memory stick. I was going to install a new radio exactly like the original one to address a strange hiss that develops at high volume, but now my wife has given me this challenge.

How do I determine the compatibility of OEM radios across GM vehicles. I found a lot of such radios with USB that were installed starting in 2009 like THIS EXAMPLE sold on eBay. How do I determine if such a radio is compatible with my Sky prior to paying a dealer to unlock the radio?

I read somewhere that the security lock code is stored on a computer chip inside the radio. If the chip is unsoldered from the circuit board, the radio will be permanently unlocked. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do u really believe you can judge sound quality from a radio in a convertible.....DUH!
Being that he seems to have upgraded the radio in his convertible, to another, aftermarket radio, but still in the same convertible, I would say that the comparison is valid.

As for programming a GM radio from another car. I have used a 2009 Chevy Malibu radio with success. It came from a Malibu with the premium amplifier option and has the USB port. It worked very well. I didn't have to recode it to the car... immediately. Not up until about a few months after I had it installed. Then I plugged the car to my VCX Nano and using Tech2Win it took me a few minutes

Your dealer shouldn't charge you too much to do it. It is literally a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don’t know if this will help, but my wife’s 2008 has an AUX headphone jack input port. She found a Lightning to Headphone jack cable for her iPhone and is able to plug her phone in to the radio and play music directly from her library.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The RPO code for the Malibu's USB radio had slipped my mind, but I remembered it now. It is RPO code UUI.
I imagine any GM model with this RPO will have a USB radio compatible to our cars. But better take care to get it from a car with Monsoon (or whatever brand the premium amplifier option is on that particular car model).

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I read somewhere that the security lock code is stored a computer chip inside the radio. If the chip is unsoldered from the circuit board, the radio will be permamently unlocked. Is there any truth to this rumor?
1) Yes. 2) Probably not.

I have not tried it, but the chip is just an eprom memory chip where the security info is stored. It might be that if the radio cannot read the chip it just works, but I would expect this to throw an error and the radio lock itself down :(

More info on replacing the chip (if so inclined) here: making your HHR recognize new radio - Chevy HHR Network

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Everyone has a different standard when it comes to sound....especially in a convertible. Noise is everywhere
This is also my general assessment.

BTW: BluSkye's comments inspired me to experiment with the radio's front input jack. It works quite well for music input. Of coarse it requires a male/male mini jack headphones cable ( 3 feet long is ideal) and cell phone to make it work which is surely a clutter, but with the Android app called "music player" it works! My wife is satisfied so I am going to drop researching a USB radio from another GM vehicle.

Reactions: BluSkye

·
Administrator
8,233 Posts
I understand...if you don't know what you are missing then you can't feel bad about it. 😉
Exactly. I do have limits, but can be happy listening to most things. A musician friend of mine is absolutely miserable listening to any music that isn't perfect in every way. Which of us is better off?

Reactions: tchr49

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A musician friend of mine is absolutely miserable listening to any music that isn't perfect in every way.
You are describing our son (age 33) who is a creative musician. My wife and I are more like you in this regard, hence our high end OEM sound system with Monsoon amp is meeting the need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts