Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know that we own very special little roadsters. For many of us, "love at first sight" was certainly proven when we literally leaped across the void by purchasing the 2006 Solstice without having taken a single test drive. Some of us didn't even sit in the car until the delivery date! Talk about faith!

For those of you who may have missed the earlier threads on the solsticeforum, I'd like you to know that there is a new book about the entire Kappa experience. It's called The Pontiac Solstice Book and it was written by Gary Witzenburg, an exceedingly talented GM engineer/racer/writer. The book was published by Michael Lamm, a great guy and a supporting vendor of the solstice forum who has authored and published other automotive books.

You may be thinking "I own a Sky. What do I want with a Solstice Book?"
The Pontiac Solstice Book chronicles the journey of the Solstice, including the creation of its architecture - the Kappa platform. Additionally, the final chapter tells the story of your car – the Saturn Sky. There are eight chapters in all, 125 pages filled with fantastic personal experiences and plenty of outstanding photographs to pore over.

Currently on the boards you will find a Boxwood Plant inquiry thread. The number of people taking the poll illustrates to me that there is yet an insatiable hunger for information about the cars. We want to get as close as we can to its history; to personally see and feel "The Mecca" the birthplace of our truly unique roadsters.

Two years ago on the board, you could find an ongoing flurry of speculation about the production schedule and activity at The Mecca. This book answers all those questions quite definitively.

Chapter Five of The Pontiac Solstice Book is titled "Putting It All Together". This chapter is 18 pages long and contains 20 beautiful photographs which were taken inside the Boxwood Road plant in Wilmington, DE. Included is a schematic of the plant and of course, the timeline of events. Dennis Dougherty, the plant manager, relates the experience in his own words. Since we are prohibited from taking pictures inside the plant, this book is a good way to continue with those memories.

You can purchase this excellent book for yourself and/or a friend through Mike Lamm's website, KappaSphere's website or from Amazon.
The links are provided below:

Lamm-Morada Publishing Co Inc - www.lammmorada.com

KappaSphere - www.kappasphere.com

Amazon.com Books - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...e=UTF8&s=books

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right. You either have the book already or you read this in February over @the solsticeforum. I deleted the part on Bob Lutz.
Here it is and I quote myself: :D

GM's Vice Chairman, Bob Lutz wrote the foreword and you can see him sitting in an aggressive Solstice, justifiably proud in realizing his long held dream of building a "stylish, beautiful, affordable, great-handling, no compromise, two-place roadster".

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the book. It is very nicely done, suitable for the coffee table. It covers the design of the concept car, the design and development of the Kappa platform, the manufacturing and the marketing. It gives a glimpse into what it really takes to bring a car to market and how extremely fast the Solstice/Skys were done. The process that made these cars a reality was so unique in so many ways............

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The team work was pretty amazing. I'm very glad Bob Lutz didn't build these cars around the Delta platform.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, Solli! I've been meaning to buy this and read it before the plant tour in May. It'll be nice to know more about what I'm looking about when I go in.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts prexactly! :cheers: :D

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I urged the publisher to consider an update either in paper or other form to take in the later cars and the coupes. but he said it wasn't economically sensible. A shame that there isn't a single source that covers the entire history of these cars with the same depth as this book did for the first few years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone out there that has the book willing to make color digital scans if possible? I’d like to read it myself. Research only goes so far as pointed out before.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Anyone out there that has the book willing to make color digital scans if possible? I’d like to read it myself. Research only goes so far as pointed out before.
Against the law to copy and distribute copyrighted material, if that matters to you. Not the best idea to solicit an accomplice on a public bulletin board either. Just my humble opinion....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check out the thread below for information on each and every page of the book ... . . . . . . .

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Read that thread quickly. Now that its presence has been discussed it is probably not going to be around for long.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bet there is someone out there who understands what you just wrote.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I bet there is someone out there who understands what you just wrote.
Meaning that there are copyright laws. Authors and publishers reserve the right of their intellectual property. This could force the taking down of materials that permission was not given to allow posting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts