Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we had some strong storms move through the Chicago area. It was a hot, sunny day when I left for work earlier in the afternoon...but the storms brewed up around 7:30 last night. When I got back to my car to go home, I opened up the door to discover a puddle of water sitting on the shift console! :eek: I almost burst into tears...:willy: There was no water anywhere else that I could see...only on the shift console, so the only explanation of where it came in from was directly above it...which is where the latch for the top is. I touched the area with my hand and I definitely could feel water. This seems to be the same exact location that some folks had started a thread about awhile back in regards to a large gap between the windshield frame and the top, when it is latched. Is this a common problem with anybody else's Sky? This is not the first time my car has seen rain, btw...but it is the first time it has leaked. I am so frustrated right now. :banghead: I expected a few problems here and there...but a leaky roof was my biggest fear, and now it's turned into a reality for me. :mad: Until I get the car over to the dealer, I have to put a towel on the shift console whenever it looks like it might rain. It's only been 820 miles...and I'm already starting to lose my patience. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've had exactly that problem... plus over the center of the steering wheel.

The service dept. said there is a Service Bulletin about this problem and fixed it by replacing the "Folding Top Front Latch".

Interestingly, the top did not leak when I was driving it in a heavy rain... it started when I got home and was sitting in the driveway waiting for the rain to let up.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ggccg said:
I've had exactly that problem... plus over the center of the steering wheel.

The service dept. said there is a Service Bulletin about this problem and fixed it by replacing the "Folding Top Front Latch".

Interestingly, the top did not leak when I was driving it in a heavy rain... it started when I got home and was sitting in the driveway waiting for the rain to let up.

Thank you...I will mention this to my service manager. So you don't have any more leaks with the 'fix', right?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Okay, I can understand the frustration,:willy: my wife fell into the drivers side door on mine when it was a couple weeks old. However, you have an advantage in that it yours will be covered by the dealer. I am constently amazed that folks have problems with a car under warrenty yet complain before the dealer has a chance to fix it. Remember, this is a brand new, not only car, but design. There will be bugs and unfortunately, that is a risk in buying a brand new anything. You want real frustration, be the first on to buy Vista, the new Mircrosoft operating system, when it comes out!!:D

Just take a few deep breaths, let the dealer have the opportunity to make it right. If he doesn't, then it is time to lose it!:brentil:

For what it is worth, I was a bit amazed at the fact there is only one catch for the convertible top. I had a '71 Skylark that had two latches and my '71 Corvette has 3, and it is not as wide as the Sky.

·
Registered
72 Posts
TexSon said:
Okay, I can understand the frustration,:willy: my wife fell into the drivers side door on mine when it was a couple weeks old. However, you have an advantage in that it yours will be covered by the dealer. I am constently amazed that folks have problems with a car under warrenty yet complain before the dealer has a chance to fix it. Remember, this is a brand new, not only car, but design. There will be bugs and unfortunately, that is a risk in buying a brand new anything. You want real frustration, be the first on to buy Vista, the new Mircrosoft operating system, when it comes out!!:D

Just take a few deep breaths, let the dealer have the opportunity to make it right. If he doesn't, then it is time to lose it!:brentil:

For what it is worth, I was a bit amazed at the fact there is only one catch for the convertible top. I had a '71 Skylark that had two latches and my '71 Corvette has 3, and it is not as wide as the Sky.
I agree with TexSon here and because this is a first year model, I got an extended warranty. I've had several things go wrong and I am giving the dealer the leeway to fix things.

As for Vista and Microsoft, I believe we are all beta testers of Microsoft products - even the released products.

Jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Extended Warrantee

If mine ever comes in.......:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ....I plan on buying as much extended warrantee as Saturn/GM offer. :thumbs:

Silver Pearl
Black/Red Leather
Manual
6 Disk Monsoon

Wating....in B'ham

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I did buy an extended warranty...but that still doesn't make me feel any better about my roof leaking. :willy: :banghead: For what it's worth...I did buy my Sky completely expecting that there would be some problems - aren't there always? But my biggest concern and #1 hesitation about buying a convertible, was the fear of leaks...and lo and behold, that's exactly what I got...lucky me. :rolleyes: I have no doubt that my dealer will try and do their absolute best to resolve this (and my many other) problem(s)...but it doesn't change the fact that it's very frustrating and somewhat disappointing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had some very heavy rain last night too. The wind was blowing hard into the passenger side, and no rain inside...well except that water that came in when I opened the door when the rain let up a bit. I've silicone the seal a couple of times, maybe which helped. Maybe it was luck too. Either way I'll take it.

Being a former GM car designer I have seen some of the early production run problems....hence 3 years extended warranty. I've never done that before, but then I usually buy Toyota.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I had roof leak issues too. The car went in twice for it. The first time, they replaced the molding along the windshield frame because there was a small rip in it. They water tested, and didn't find any leaks. After the next torrential downpour, the car was leaking again (I'm also familiar with the shifterr boot puddle). When I took the car back, they water tested and couldn't find any leaks. I told them to spray it continuously with a hose for a couple of hours, and eventually they got it to leak. The dealer adjusted the roof latch and installed some sort of insert in the molding. The car has been bone dry ever since. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reedred said:
I had roof leak issues too. The car went in twice for it. The first time, they replaced the molding along the windshield frame because there was a small rip in it. They water tested, and didn't find any leaks. After the next torrential downpour, the car was leaking again (I'm also familiar with the shifterr boot puddle). When I took the car back, they water tested and couldn't find any leaks. I told them to spray it continuously with a hose for a couple of hours, and eventually they got it to leak. The dealer adjusted the roof latch and installed some sort of insert in the molding. The car has been bone dry ever since. Best of luck!
Thank you! I am printing out your response and taking it with me to the dealer tomorrow! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Handful of mentions of roof leaks into the shift boot on the Solstice side.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18164
One mention of a new version of the top seal ordered which looked different and already had a notch
cut in which a TSB recommends making.
This was on a Dec build Sol, so don't know which seal your recent build may have,
but something to ask about and look into.
Maybe see if your dealer can order "the new" top seal.
Doesn't look like the issue is fully resolved over there.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cerberus said:
Handful of mentions of roof leaks into the shift boot on the Solstice side.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18164
One mention of a new version of the top seal ordered which looked different and already had a notch
cut in which a TSB recommends making.
This was on a Dec build Sol, so don't know which seal your recent build may have,
but something to ask about and look into.
Maybe see if your dealer can order "the new" top seal.
Doesn't look like the issue is fully resolved over there.

Funny you should bring up that link, as I was just over on the Sol forum reading several threads on the roof leak issue. I too, was wondering about this "new seal"...seems as though a lot of those posts were dated back in the early part of the year - January/February...I would think that the newer builds (mine was built in June) would have this modification in place already (or at least I would HOPE they do). But I will also bring this up to the service manager. I'm hoping that the combination of a new header seal and a latch adjustment might do the trick...we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
nscrbug said:
Funny you should bring up that link, as I was just over on the Sol forum reading several threads on the roof leak issue. I too, was wondering about this "new seal"...seems as though a lot of those posts were dated back in the early part of the year - January/February...I would think that the newer builds (mine was built in June) would have this modification in place already (or at least I would HOPE they do). But I will also bring this up to the service manager. I'm hoping that the combination of a new header seal and a latch adjustment might do the trick...we'll see.
Yeah, but there's a bunch of new reports with the current rains, so many more posts in late July up to current.
They're a very handy reference as a bunch of folks ahead of us in issues.
I'm sure you'll also pick up to make sure any leak test is over an extended period of time if it doesn't leak right away.
Just pointing out so you don't get the "looks fine to me" thing should things stay dry.
Something about water backing up in the drains, and it can start leaking after a couple of hours.

Good luck. You're helping all of us by getting this sorted out, so push for the group.

·
Registered
514 Posts
nscrbug said:
Thank you...I will mention this to my service manager. So you don't have any more leaks with the 'fix', right?
On one of those hot rod shows I've seen a few ways to locate leaks, one way is by turning on the a/c and using a stethescope and going over the seals, the really cool technique is by using a smoke like system (not smoke though) and put it inside the cabin, it pressurizes it, and then you look for the leaks outside the car by the seals, there were also 2 other ways to find leaks.

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT545_pg36.htm

Once you find the leaks, you put some black RTV on the seal to build it up more :thumbs:\

Hopefully GM's warranty actually means something and they fix it. A warranty means nothing if they can't fix it. "It's normal" Come on, that means that poor quality "is normal".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts