Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want a general reasoning behind buying the sky....for instance....I am a 23 year old male...I currently drive a 2001 mit eclipse.....o.k. maybe not a head turner but at least the ladies don't frown when they see my car....My reason for getting a sky is based on the sure looks......This car looks to cost around 50,000 and the pure design of the car is amazing...the first time I saw it I was hooked....My reasoning is not going to be because of the speed or the brand name (saturn) sorry never been a fan....but oh well!!!!!

So my reasonings are

1) Always wanted a head turner car
2) loved the viper this is as close as I can get right now
3) As much as I hate to say it the ladies like a guy with a nice car....I do well right now...but a chili red sky convertible with black leather seats.....won't hurt with the ladies.......(though watch out for the shallow ones.....who am I to talk, I am as shallow as the next guy looking for next hottie to come by)

peace

joe

·
Registered
102 Posts
My reasoning is......I turned 50 in August 2005. Maybe it's a mid life crisis? Except I thought I had that when I hit 40 and had to have that shiny red Camaro, or was it when I hit twenty and had to have a French Blue TR7?

I have no practical reasoning behind it other than it's HOT and I want one.

Sheryl :willy:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I had a 92 Nissan NX with a tee top. I've never owned a car before the NX that I just enjoyed driving. I never understood my fathers obsession with rag tops until the NX.

He likes big cars but I love the small ones. I was going to pick up a Miata but when I saw the Sky I had to have it. The strong lines and styling of the Sky attracted me. The fact that it's in my price range made it a must have.

BTW I am 44 and I don't think I'm having my mid life crisis yet. I've just started really enjoying life. I realized a while back that you only get to do this thing once. No sense in doing life with a frown. Tell the boss to shut the @#$?! up and live free. Just don't let her hear you:D

Good question Skybeam

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm a 23 (soon to be 24) year old male that wanted something fun. My previous car was a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege that I autocrossed and open tracked. It handled extremely well with the racing suspension I had on it, but I was to the point that if I wanted the car to get any faster I would have to drop a lot of cash. Plus, while I loved pulling over 1g on the skidpad, I hated driving the car on Michigan roads. It was time to either build a motor and transmission, add bigger brakes, and racing seats or find something more suitable. I was already having traction problems due to a stiff suspension and FWD so I decided to go for something RWD whose suspension had a little more compliance while still handling the same. On top of that, while I liked the performance of the car, I couldn't stand the "sport compact tuner" genre I was pigeon-holed into every time someone saw me in the car. Even though I graduated with my engineering degree and I wasn't part of the 'ricer' crowd, I was still looked at like a 16 year old punk. My car may have had a big wing, but I was still passing Cobra's at Mid-Ohio.

When I saw the Sky at last years Detroit auto show I was hooked. When it came time to choose a new car this was top on the list. I like the looks of the Sky over the Solstice, the suspension will be pretty easy to tune, and the Ecotec is the perfect engine for forced induction.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My first car back in 1979 was a 1967 red Firebird convertible. Since then I got married, had two kids (minivan and 5-seater sedans), and now my oldest daughter turns 16 in March so I will officially be out of the kid taxi business. This allows me to go for the best looking affordable sports car to come out since the 240Z!

Also, I'm 45, so if I time this one right, soon my mid-life crisis will hit and I will be "justified" in going out and get the real mid-life crisis car...a new Corvette complete with the gold chain necklaces to wear with my hair implants!

But I'm keeping the wife (if she'll keep me)...she is awesome!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There are a few reasons

Never been a "car guy". Oh sure I liked them, but there was this mean streak of practicalism that held me at bay. I started in the building trades early - needed a car that was good - but cheap to run... Then; marriage, babies, baseball, football, marching band... Then we had a truck and sedan, then a small SUV and a coupe. Now Kids are gone, we need the lil SUV (Tracker) for baby moving (we have 4 grandchildren 2 are babies). The coupe gets me to and from work.
In the back of my mind.... Always wanted a "cool" car. Can't see spending $35-40K though (there's that practical side again.) Not looking to race or be the fastest, just want to cruise. Loved the Saturns since 94... So when I heard of their look into a sporty car, a roadster I stuck to it.
Now, I am caught up in the excitement of not only getting a cool car - but also being one of the first!
I plan to drive it as long as I drive. I want to keep it for a long-term investment. Stock, nothing added. The greatest value for a collector car is 100% stock. So, here is a car that has everything I want.
Only one small thing missing....
The car..

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also just turned 50. This will be my second new car. The first being a 2002 Ford Escape for my wife, so this is really my first new car. I love convertibles. I have owned several in the past. Most of these were older cars. The first was a beat up 56 T-Bird I met my wife in. That car was expensive to restore and I lost interest. Then I had a couple of Corvair convertibles. One was a 65 CORSA and the other a 63 Spyder. The Spyder was completely restored. It was bright white with a red top. It was a nice car and I drove it to work for several years. The cars were overtaken by a need for practical family cars. A couple of years ago with my son in high school, I got a Fiero to drive to work. The Sky will be the good weather car I drive to work. :)

Although some think this is “mid life crisis,” I don’t think so because is it taking way to long. If it were a crisis I would have gotten something by now. By the way either my wife or my mom think this it a “mid life crisis, ” so I looking good.:thumbs:

·
Registered
174 Posts
The car is for my wife..she is 45, a birthday present for her. She wanted a convertable and this is what she picked...will be here 3rd car or summer car, I would be suprised if she put 6K miles a year on it........:cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
1: Am probably the biggest Saturn fan in my town...

2: I will only buy Saturn's... heck, I am holding off on buying a great deal of a Blazer for a daily driver/winter vehicle, thinking I will be able to find a good condition 2004 V6 VUE for a similar 5 grand price. But, who am I kidding...

3: It turns heads and drops jaws...

4: :cheers:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am turning 51 this year. I have had Saturns in the past and wanted a sports car. I started out when I was 18 with a Fiat X1/9 and wanted something small and nimble like that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm 31, have been a car guy for a long time. However, I don't contain much more than an ounce of mechanical ability, so buying & restoring an older GM vehicle is out of the question. I was 16 in '91 and fell in love with the Buick Reatta convertible (liked the coupe equally) and the '91 GMC Syclone, but this 16 y-o couldn't afford a new $35+K car or a $25K truck! I've looked at several used ones over the years, but back to that no mechanical ability. So I decided that once I found another NEW GM vehicle that I could afford, I'd go for it and be one of those people that would keep it forever and take to car shows and stuff. Plus it will be a third vehicle, used strictly in good weather and for fun. Wife wasn't too thrilled last Februry when we saw the SKY in person at the Philly Auto Show (baby was on the way, SKY = NO car seat or stroller room)... she's warmed up to it a lot since then and now feels that she should have a say in the color selection :rolleyes: I've explained time and time again that I've waited since I was 14/15 for a dream car of my own, and I'll be the one to make the decisions. But those of us who are married know the truth! :lol: Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :D

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
I am 61...shortly 62 and fell in love with the SKY last year at the NY auto show....I have been waiting for a convertible that was drop dead gorgeous...it's too bad my son doesn't have that emotional attachment to the automobile as I do. My wife said I would never buy it. Guess What? Have to wait for my Green Sky... bought it last week. Going to the Phili Show next Saturday. Hoping to see the Green but I am sure it will be the Black that was featured at the Harrisburg show...that was my second color choice....By the way, this is not a mid life crisis.

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wanted a Vauxhall VX Lightning. When I heard Saturn bought the design and were tweaking its design for the US market, I waited for it. When I saw it my jaw dropped and I had to have it.

No girls involved, no mid-life crisis of any sort... just really, really like the car and I gotta have one. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
We loved the Sky at the auto show last year and ended up getting a Solstice
first 1000 with a manual tranny which I share , occasionally, with one of my
two daughters.
The SKY will be an automatic to be shared by my wife and our other daughter.

When I first ordered one of each they all thought I needed to have my head examined.
That changed the day we got the Solstice and now we can't wait to have
the Sky join our family.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Saw it,GOT a tingle, HAD to have it

Simple as that, I am 47, always into cars. Had a 1979 Trans Am that I put a 400 engine in ( did lots of that work myself). Bought a 1967 Impala convertable (which I still have) but dont drive much because the drivers here are terrible and I just dont want to see it hit (all original).

SO, when I saw the Sky at the Detroit auto show last year, I got this chill up my spine and just knew I had to buy it. Wasn't even looking for a car but now I join all my buddies on here waiting for my car. I am #4 on the list in Kitchener Ont Canada and will drive it back down here to South Carolina. I will enjoy all 16-18 hours of driving it home.
:thumbs:

Kimberly
ChiliSky

·
Registered
74 Posts
Reason?!

Do we need a reason?!:confused: Well, mine is this....I love the car. I started shopping around April of 2005 for a roadster type car that I could afford to keep my Aztek for the mommy car (I am 34) and have my toy. Must be a convertible of course. Found the Solstice, then found the Sky...nuff said.

I guess you could say it's my gift to myself for graduating Surgical Assistant school and doubling my salary yearly!:cheers:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I'm turning 30 in less than a month.....

I'm married with 0 children and have a F150 FX4 and a Nissan Maxima. I love the car because of the looks but mainly because I want another convertible. I'm not really that crazy about the other convertibles out there.

Solstice - Hate the front end of it with that big ole grill
Volkswagons - (Jetta and Bug) Think they look funny when guys drive them
Vette - Can't afford it and don't like how big it is
Mustang convertible - Had one preordered but cancelled. Didn't want to be one of 80,000 on the road and at the time, gas was 3.50 a gallon
Eclipse - Use to own an spyder but the new eclipses look like they have a fat a$$ and it sticks out too much
350Z - Like this car but really don't wanna pay 35k for it

So, it's the looks. affordability, the fact that they won't be everywhere for awhile, lack of selection, and I think it will be fun to drive

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Second childhood :lol: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts