Saturn Sky Forum banner

The RL look.... Not Enough?

5K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  richmcc 
#1 · (Edited)
To the casual observer, they may not notice the difference between RL and base (except for the Turbo insignia on the back).

Do you like the "closer to base" look of the Redline, or did you expect body changes that really distinguished it from the base (not to put in same category, but think Neon SRT-4 or WRX sti)?

Also...Do you think there is a future Sky/Solstice version that cranks the HP and styling up even further? Ya know, what Shelby does with the mustang.
(Possibly should be a seperate thread...)

#3 ·
I think that in the near future the SKY will have the same mystic as the Vette curently has. There will be magazines dedecated to the SKY and all kind of companys will be making after market add on for the SKY.

#5 ·
I like the style of both the regular and R/L Sky....... even if the R/L isnt ... "enough" for most.... there are lots of MODS to have done...... i am going to stick with my Baby.... and just make her "better"!!!!! SkyBaby-07

#8 ·
Ahnuld said:
To the casual observer, they may not notice the difference between RL and base (except for the Turbo insignia on the back).

Do you like the "closer to base" look of the Redline, or did you expect body changes that really distinguished it from the base (not to put in same category, but think Neon SRT-4 or WRX sti)?

Also...Do you think there is a future Sky/Solstice version that cranks the HP and styling up even further? Ya know, what Shelby does with the mustang.
If I was to get a RL -- I think the "closer to base" look would be just fine. For car buffs -- they'd know what to look for and for those not in the know -- who are thinking 177hp -- well, imagine the look on their face when you pull away!

#9 ·
Is the fake exhaust vent coming on the redline? That will distinguish it I would think. Besides, think of pulling up to a light and blowing some poor unsuspecting persons doors off!!!! They will remember that!:lol:

#12 ·
fkeillor said:
I think that in the near future the SKY will have the same mystic as the Vette curently has. There will be magazines dedecated to the SKY and all kind of companys will be making after market add on for the SKY.
BE realistic, it's not a vette. Compare past cars for a good look into the future for car clubs, magazines, aftermarket:
Fiero, BMW Z3, Miata, MR2, MG, Triumph, etc...

I see the Sky/Solstice at about a Fiero/Miata level

#13 ·
jason said:
Is the fake exhaust vent coming on the redline? That will distinguish it I would think. Besides, think of pulling up to a light and blowing some poor unsuspecting persons doors off!!!! They will remember that!:lol:
It is not fake, it is dual exhaust from the muffler.

Personally, most of the body kits and ground effects do not appeal to me. Leave those type of mods to cars that need it to try to look hot!

#14 ·
I think this car will have a very loyal following, and will end up as a car that can be modified to the gills. In 5 years all the kids will want to heat the sky up and after market suppliers will rake in the money...and all of us first year owners will have a reunion and talk about when we had the SKY to our selves....seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 ·
richmcc said:

Personally, most of the body kits and ground effects do not appeal to me. Leave those type of mods to cars that need it to try to look hot!
Camaro type dual outlet, it's only a single pipe into the muffler unless they want to do something silly like split the outlet after the turbo into two or whatever and put in two mufflers. I guess that would cut down on the sound slightly maybe.

#16 ·
I'm talking about the grill between the two seats, looks sort of Ferrarri-Lotus inspired. Almost looks like the engine was there instead of in the front.

#18 ·
jason said:
I'm talking about the grill between the two seats, looks sort of Ferrarri-Lotus inspired. Almost looks like the engine was there instead of in the front.
There is no grill in there -- are you looking at a shot showing the optional LUGGAGE Carrier??

#19 ·
marlboromike said:
Just as an aside...the ION upgrade engine is the 2.4 indicating 170 HP...is that the same engine that we have? If it is, why is ours 177 HP?
It's the same engine...there was a change in how HP is measured...if you look at the first info about the SKY, it was stated 170 HP also. (or so I've read :) )

My son has the 2.4 ION...it's nice.

#20 ·
:agree:
richmcc said:

:agree: :agree: I am keeping mine true to form, you can't improve on perfection!!!:thumbs:

#21 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
There is no grill in there -- are you looking at a shot showing the optional LUGGAGE Carrier??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet he is, Wow a luggage rack that makes my car a Ferrari Poser!

How :cool:

No offense Jason, it is more a reflection of the grill design than anything else. It has also been mistaken as Hibachi (sp) grill. :D

#22 ·
Inwo said:
Camaro type dual outlet, it's only a single pipe into the muffler unless they want to do something silly like split the outlet after the turbo into two or whatever and put in two mufflers. I guess that would cut down on the sound slightly maybe.
That was what I meant by dual exhaust FROM the muffler.

#23 ·
Sky fast Corvette

:cheers:

cheers:
The Sky may look like a mini vette, one of the reasons I am buying one, but lets get real, the speed of a vette, don't thing so. Granted even in a vette you don't want to rev your engine at every stop light and challenge the Honda turner next to you, mature adults don't need speeding tickets. It is nice to flex your muscle, speed once in awhile, just check for any police cars first. I personally drive the 06 Impala faster on the expressway then the 06 corvette, you know they won't mind pulling the vette over, but the ole impala running with traffic, cruise on by. The sky is more of a middle of the road sport car its the American Miata. I see clubs being formed but all the hub bup like the corvette I would hope not. If it was not for a certain movie I don't think the Honda S2000 would be as popular as it is. I do see the 20-30 age group modify the Sky to make it a sleeper since the corvette is out of the price range and the insurance for most of that age group, or at least showing up the Honda's even if they have to add nos. :banghead:

TulsaSky

#24 ·
Ahnuld said:

I like the more sutle approach to higher performance versions. I think if the car is gorgeous, all it needs is power, a few SUTLE changes and more power and better handling to go along with the looks. I hate what Subaru and Dodge did to the Neon and WRX. If I was given either one as a gift, I would remove the ugly spoilers first, then make them look more "sleeper" and less "give me a ticket". I really like what they did with the sky, I was hoping they wouldn't mess up the FE, at first I was dissappointed, but it has grown on me and now I can't wait for my RL. I'm the type that wants the silver pearl not only because it looks great, but because it gets rid of the "accents" on the hood, vents, and rear behind the seats. I don't like those either. I'm much more into simplicity. Sports cars should be red, black, silver, or yellow in my opinion with no other accented colors, there are few acceptions. Understand that Neither the WRX STi or the Neon look bad to me if they would simply get rid of that spoiler that looks like it came from a cigarette boat from Miami Vice.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#25 ·
richmcc said:

I saw a "captured fleet" RL today. The muffler is huge!!!!!

#26 ·
snaponbob said:
I saw a "captured fleet" RL today. The muffler is huge!!!!!
Snaponbob you are our new best friend! What color? How did it sound? What do you mean the muffler was big, was it ugly or well tucked under the rear? Notice anything else interesting about the RL? I am having RL issues - I have been waiting for a sky for a year now and gave up my #1 positiion on the base list for the #1 on the RL list, so I gleaning all the information I can, and guess what? You know something!! PLEASE - fill us in....:thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.