Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
. The Sky has Fallen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturn Sky
VIN:1G8MB35BX7Y101205

Bought my 2007 Saturn Sky June12, 2006. From day one the check engine light was on. Took it back to the dealer 2 times, both times the dealer could not find the problem. No code was noticed when diagnosed by the mechanic at my Saturn dealer. Fix it myself, found the engine sensor lead was touching the motor, relocated the lead, no engine fail light has returned.

After 800 KM noticed a loud whine from the rear differential. A new diff. is on order part number 15825073. At 1000 km I noticed the leather seats were looking rather warn out, the leather is stretching, my dealer determined the foam in the seats is braking down, the foam will have to be replaced with a stronger material. Saturn Canada doses not have a different foam replacement so the dealer will have to send the seats out to a local body and seat shop.

At 1500km second and third gears are not shifting well (The gears are grinding) and twice I could not get the car into reverse. Back to the dealer and was told they will have to order a new transmission. However there are no transmissions they can source at this time. Noticed a clunking sounds or extreme play when shifting I was told by dealer these sound should disappear with the new differential and transmission replacement.

The driver and passenger door panels are coming apart where the handle to close the door meets the plastic inlay of the door panel.

Now the front plastic bumper has the paint peeling off, it started as a dot; it’s now a ¼ of an inch long. I am concerned that the paint will flake off like the early GM factory paint jobs of the 1980. My dealer is checking with Saturn management about buying the car back.

Aug. 23/06 my dealer called today, he said someone from Saturn's head office would call me about the buy back on Friday August 25. My dealer asked me if I would like another Sky. He would replace mine with a new one, same color and options? I am not sure the new model will be any better than the old one. My question is has anyone has as many problems with there Sky as I have.

August 25, 2006: My Dealer in Canada is buying the Sky back from me, full price! Was told it take about 2-3 weeks for Saturn’s head office to process the paper work and send a check. I couldn’t be happier. Not sure what I will buy when I have the cash in hand. Thinking of a used Nissan 350Z.

Sept.7, 2006. Still waiting for the check, was told maybe next week. I have not driven this car in two weeks; I am driving my daughter’s car a 1990 Nissan NX with 229,000KM. (138,000 miles) All the gears shift with no grinding.

September 11, 2006

Hooray for the dealer, I have returned the car and received my buyout. General Motors did ding me a mileage charge of $592.00 for the use of the car. Over all I am please with the out come and I am looking at something new. Tonight I am off to Mazda to test drive the new MX5 hard top and the RX8. Good luck to all you Sky people out there. Mr.Jim

September 16, 2006

Placed order for a new MX5 Hardtop, Black.

September 24 picked up the 2007 MX5 hard top. 1750KM

Took the Mazda back to the dealer for squealing brakes, the squeal is noticeable when to pads are cold. After applying the brakes and the pads are warm the sounds goes away. Mazda is looking into a fix for the problem. I was assured that the pads and rotors were not being damaged. Other than that I am 100% satisfied with my purchase.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The Sky has Fallen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturn Sky

Bought my 2007 Saturn Sky June12, 2006. From day one the check engine light was on. Took it back to the dealer 2 times, both times the dealer could not find the problem. No code was noticed when diagnosed by the mechanic at my Saturn dealer. Fix it my self, found the engine sensor lead was touching the motor, relocated the lead, no engine fail light returned. After 800 KM noticed a loud whine from the rear diff. a new diff. is on order part number 15825073. At 1000 km I noticed the leather seats were looking rather warn out, the dealer deter mended the foam in the seats are braking down and the foam will have to be replaced with a stronger material. Saturn Canada dose not have a different foam replacement so the dealer will have to send the seats out to a local body and seat shop. At 1500km second and third gears are not shifting well and twice I could not get the car into reverse. Back to the dealer and was told they will have to order a new transmission. How ever there are no transmissions they can source at this time. Noticed a clunking sounds or extreme play when shifting was told by dealer these sound should disappear with the new diff and transmission replacement. The driver and passenger door panels are coming apart where the handle to close the door meets the plastic inlay of the door panel. Last, the front plastic bumper has the paint peeling off, it started as a dot, now it’s a ¼ of an inch long. I am concerned that the paint will flake off like the early GM factory paint jobs of the 1980 did. The dealer is checking with Saturn management about buying the car back. The Sky has fallen. Aug. 23/06 my dealer called today, he said someone from Saturn's head office will call me about the buy back on Friday. The dealer then asked me if I would like another Sky. He would replace mine with a new one, same color and options? I said to him, how can you offer me another car when the Sky is so scarce. My dealer said he could get anther one ASAP. He asked me to think about it and let him know on Friday. I assume if I get another car someone who has ordered a sky will be bumped. I am not sure the new model will be any better than the old one. My question is has anyone has as many problems with there Sky as I have.
I would say that is the most I've seen on a single car...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Scary

It's posts like yours that keep me wondering whether or not I should go through with my purchase. I plan on driving my SKY every day, 12 months per year and I need a dependable vehicle. I understand the first year out issues and am OK with those fixable problems. I don't, however need a car that is constantly in the shop.

Sorry about your problems. I truly hate it for all of us.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like you got one of those true "lemons". I have only had problems with the top. There is a plastic piece with a ball joint on it that is threaded onto a rod that has popped apart and stripped it's threads at two different times.

I say go for another car, what have you got to lose?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Hey Jim, take the new car!! If IT falls apart, too, the Aura Redline might be out(!) and you might be able to get one of THOSE! (And I am not kidding as much as it sounds like.) Think about.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Remember you are hearing about one car -- 95% of teh people on this site have had 0 or very very few problems. I've had mine over two months - one stop to the shop -- oil change.
I would take the new car -- I just can't imagine that many things being wrong on two cars.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It's posts like yours that keep me wondering whether or not I should go through with my purchase. I plan on driving my SKY every day, 12 months per year and I need a dependable vehicle. I understand the first year out issues and am OK with those fixable problems. I don't, however need a car that is constantly in the shop.

Sorry about your problems. I truly hate it for all of us.
Besides the times I've had my car in to have the diff worked on my Solstice has been my daily driver for 10 months and 12,500 miles now. The times it was in the shop I had a warranty rental so it really wasn't an issue then either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Besides the times I've had my car in to have the diff worked on my Solstice has been my daily driver for 10 months and 12,500 miles now. The times it was in the shop I had a warranty rental so it really wasn't an issue then either.
Take the new one.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Mine is to new, just a week old, so I cannot really reply that all Skys are or will be this way. I trully believe what has happened to you is an aberration, in no way can that happen again. If you think about it, the more they build, the better they will get. I would speculate that those being cranked out now have had alot of little tweaks and improvements made. I would advise you to go ahead and give another one a shot especially if you did like it if it ever worked correctly. By the way, the one they are buying back, was that one a demo, or a display model on the floor?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check engine light might have something to do with gas cap. Our Bonneville had an issue with check engine (ford Taurus also) and we found the gas cap was messed up.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Check engine light might have something to do with gas cap. Our Bonneville had an issue with check engine (ford Taurus also) and we found the gas cap was messed up.
His check engine lite was on because a wire was shorting on the manifold....Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Geez!

Bummer.... Mass Produced items will always have issues. Just like a previous post... you got a lemon and I would take the new car. You waited your turn.. They may have to give up a demo they were going to order or something. Either way you deserve a new Sky and I would take it!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Three Months, 5,000+ Miles. No paint issues, no seat issues, no door issues, no sensor issues, no transmission isues.

Sum total of my problems are the chrome sill plate accents peeled up and need to be replaced (common on the early cars) and I noticed a few drops of leakage on my garage floor under the differential (not sure if that's just natural expansion and overflow or a leaking seal) that I need to get checked out.

Other than that - perfectamundo.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think you should take the new car ASAP. Even if you are fed up with owning a Sky and want to sell it at least you can sell the replacement car to somebody and still sleep at night. Plus how much sympathy is your dealer going to have for if you turn down the replacement car???

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
SuperFryGuy might be interested ... he has or has sold a Blue, Black and now a Silver SKY ... so he knows how to move them ...:jester:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you got one of those true "lemons". I have only had problems with the top. There is a plastic piece with a ball joint on it that is threaded onto a rod that has popped apart and stripped it's threads at two different times.

I say go for another car, what have you got to lose?
I have had the same problem with my convertible top. the plastic piece on the ball joint in my top keeps popping off. The dealership has been very good about taking care of me, but its still an hour drive each way to the dealership!! They have it right now, and hopefully this resolves the problems! Any one else had this problem??

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I have an early car too and the only issue I've had is the rear wheel rub issue. I WISH the differential would go so I could pay the difference and get the LSD! LOL But noooooo...MINE has to be fricken PERFECT!

uhg.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts