Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Whoo Hoooo, gonna get me one of those....:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
ordered!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Beautiful! I have never seen one as subtle as that. Verrry Nice. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Nice............:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
definately buying one once I get my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
The Stig said:
Yes! We now have a version of our popular Kappashield for the Sky... it is called the SkyShield. We had to redesign it properly fit the sightly higher humps on the trunk. A lot of you have been waiting for awhile, so here it is.

Order info here:

http://www.kappasphere.com/handler.cfm?cat_id=20103&cat_id=20422&prod_id=2180&function=product

Thanks
Neil
Thanks Stig - Before I order your new windscreen I must ask a couple of questions. You previously stated that the top could be put up with the shield still in place, but you warned users that the glass window in the top would "rub" against the shield. Does your definition of "rub" mean that it would eventually cause the defrost wires in the window to be destroyed?

Also, you stated that the shield could be removed in about "5 seconds". I assume all the screws must be loosened, shield removed, screws then re-tightened, shield then stowed in the trunk. All of this would be difficult to perform in 5 seconds or so.

I guess my real question is if the owner decides NOT to remove the shield, how much damage will it cause. I believe that if a windscreen could be permanently mounted, then most owners would want one. But if it must be removed everytime the top is put up it would become a pain real quick.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Larry's questions are good ones....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
Thanks Stig - Before I order your new windscreen I must ask a couple of questions. You previously stated that the top could be put up with the shield still in place, but you warned users that the glass window in the top would "rub" against the shield. Does your definition of "rub" mean that it would eventually cause the defrost wires in the window to be destroyed?

Also, you stated that the shield could be removed in about "5 seconds". I assume all the screws must be loosened, shield removed, screws then re-tightened, shield then stowed in the trunk. All of this would be difficult to perform in 5 seconds or so.

I guess my real question is if the owner decides NOT to remove the shield, how much damage will it cause. I believe that if a windscreen could be permanently mounted, then most owners would want one. But if it must be removed everytime the top is put up it would become a pain real quick.:confused:
The screws do not need to be loosened to remove the SkyShield. The screws hold on the bobbins on which the SkySheild slips on and off. It at the bottom of the instructions.
http://www.kappasphere.com/products/exterior/accessories/kappashield/installation.jpg

After the initial installation it simply slips on and off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
Thanks Stig - Before I order your new windscreen I must ask a couple of questions. You previously stated that the top could be put up with the shield still in place, but you warned users that the glass window in the top would "rub" against the shield. Does your definition of "rub" mean that it would eventually cause the defrost wires in the window to be destroyed?

Also, you stated that the shield could be removed in about "5 seconds". I assume all the screws must be loosened, shield removed, screws then re-tightened, shield then stowed in the trunk. All of this would be difficult to perform in 5 seconds or so.

I guess my real question is if the owner decides NOT to remove the shield, how much damage will it cause. I believe that if a windscreen could be permanently mounted, then most owners would want one. But if it must be removed everytime the top is put up it would become a pain real quick.:confused:
I just installed Jay's windscreen on my friends Sky and maybe could help. It has nothing to do with the heigth of the screens. When the top is up and the screen is in place, the entire screen presses against the inside of the top's window even to the point of being pressed forwarded by the top. I believe people are thinking that the top EDGE of the windscreens rubs against the top's window; this is not true, the entire top presses flat against the back window. Will it cause any damage to the window? I don't think so. There is no movement between the window and the screen. I will leave mine on.

Is that clearer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
oh great!

I ordered a Kappashield a few weeks ago and now this comes out! Here goes another 100 bucks! oh well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Turk said:
I just installed Jay's windscreen on my friends Sky and maybe could help. It has nothing to do with the heigth of the screens. When the top is up and the screen is in place, the entire screen presses against the inside of the top's window even to the point of being pressed forwarded by the top. I believe people are thinking that the top EDGE of the windscreens rubs against the top's window; this is not true, the entire top presses flat against the back window. Will it cause any damage to the window? I don't think so. There is no movement between the window and the screen. I will leave mine on.

Is that clearer?
Thanks Turk - Your comments are helpful. I guess for a $100.00 if it seems to be a problem for me I could just not use it. If there is no rubbing between the shield and the back window then there would not be a problem. While driving the car it does make sense that there would be a little rubbing, especially of rough roads.

I think I'll try one now. Thanks for your input.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
longwaitlarry said:
Thanks Stig - Before I order your new windscreen I must ask a couple of questions. You previously stated that the top could be put up with the shield still in place, but you warned users that the glass window in the top would "rub" against the shield. Does your definition of "rub" mean that it would eventually cause the defrost wires in the window to be destroyed?

Also, you stated that the shield could be removed in about "5 seconds". I assume all the screws must be loosened, shield removed, screws then re-tightened, shield then stowed in the trunk. All of this would be difficult to perform in 5 seconds or so.

I guess my real question is if the owner decides NOT to remove the shield, how much damage will it cause. I believe that if a windscreen could be permanently mounted, then most owners would want one. But if it must be removed everytime the top is put up it would become a pain real quick.:confused:
Larry
Yes, it does rub. Regardless we like to be safe rather than sorry. What it could rub off are the lines for the rear defrost. We recommend removing the Skyshield when driving the car more than a couple of miles. For example; you get to you office in the morning with the top down and you want to put the top up during the day... you don't have to take the Skyshield down. It simply rests against the rear window, it's the vibration of both parts against each other that causes the possible damage. And since the Skyshield only takes 5-10 seconds to remove, why risk it? And no, you don't have to loosen anything or tighten anything when removing or installing the Skyshield. The Shield is designed to slip very easily onto the provided bobbins... see step 4. Just make sure you don't over tighten the bobbins during the initial installation. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks
Neil
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
ooohhhhh, my family is gonna have an easy Christmas shopping for me this year!!!! I like....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
How much wind does the shield actually reduce, percentage wise? 10% quieter, 30%? Does it help in the light rain to deflect more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
The Stig said:
Larry
Yes, it does rub. Regardless we like to be safe rather than sorry. What it could rub off are the lines for the rear defrost. We recommend removing the Skyshield when driving the car more than a couple of miles. For example; you get to you office in the morning with the top down and you want to put the top up during the day... you don't have to take the Skyshield down. It simply rests against the rear window, it's the vibration of both parts against each other that causes the possible damage. And since the Skyshield only takes 5-10 seconds to remove, why risk it? And no, you don't have to loosen anything or tighten anything when removing or installing the Skyshield. The Shield is designed to slip very easily onto the provided bobbins... see step 4. Just make sure you don't over tighten the bobbins during the initial installation. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks
Neil
Thanks Neil for the additional info. I guess if the shield goes on and off that easily, then it would not be a problem. If and when I ever get a Sky I'll order one from you.:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,114 Posts
Solutions

I am thinking of getting some type of clear stick ons...a round piece of stick on plastic that goes on the base of your computer...or toaster over...or telephone...i hope u understand what i am suggesting...this way the windscreen never touches the rear defroster window..
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top