Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
New Tires

But can you get those with the Chrome Wheels????

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those are crazy looking! I wonder how comfortable the ride is with those things.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MyMidnightSky said:
Those are crazy looking! I wonder how comfortable the ride is with those things.
Apparently, they perform great:

"Michelin has also found that it can tune Tweel performances independently of each other, which is a significant change from conventional tires. This means that vertical stiffness (which primarily affects ride comfort) and lateral stiffness (which affects handling and cornering) can both be optimized, pushing the performance envelope in these applications and enabling new performances not possible for current inflated tires. The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment. Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by a factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling."

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
And the best part is, if you pick up an ugly ol' lenght of screw that goes clean through the tread, you can see it clearly and push it out from the inside.

I like 'em. Gonna wait for the whitewalls, tho...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was reading about these tires last year. All the law enforcements agency's across the US are against them being used for public use. The FBI has done extensive test with different "Spike" strips, and they were all useless against them. One FBI agent called them the new "Terrorist Tire".

Interesting concept, but I personally don't like the way they look.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was reading about these tires last year. All the law enforcements agency's across the US are against them being used for public use. The FBI has done extensive test with different "Spike" strips, and they were all useless against them. One FBI agent called them the new "Terrorist Tire".
What a crock. You mean the FBI is depending on forward interception of a terrorists using spike boards? What happened to roadblocks? Doesn't the FBI carry guns anymore? Heaven help us.

·
Registered
804 Posts
interesting tires. Kind of reminds me of a halloween themed car with bone like tires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
But how would do in a sideways skid?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
GMguy said:
What a crock. You mean the FBI is depending on forward interception of a terrorists using spike boards? What happened to roadblocks? Doesn't the FBI carry guns anymore? Heaven help us.
Can't shoot misdemeanor folks running from the police...but spike strips..shoot, they don't much work very often any way.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Claw strips

skywulf said:
Can't shoot misdemeanor folks running from the police...but spike strips..shoot, they don't much work very often any way.
So someone will have to develop a claw strip - or some other device to put a stop to these tires.

Actually I am surprise that electronic disruptor type devices are not used more often. On the other hand, after seeing videos of how tricky it is to get the spike strips to work maybe firing an electrified missle is not so easy in real life as it appears when demonstrated by the manufacturer.

And I would imagine that you coudl apply some kind of a "sidewall" that was purely for decorative purposes so that it does not look like something MIT developed for the next mission to Mars. Or at least to prevent them for filling up with water, sand, dirt, snow, etc.

·
Registered
804 Posts
skywulf said:

I know, I know! The police could simply shoot a long metal pole through the spokes...kind of like in the movies when they put the 2x4 through the spokes of a motorcycle. Flips the bike when the 2x4 hits the frame.:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts

:eek:
Totally gross. Looks like an attempt at "track" type tires to mimic a tank!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just want a spare

any possible application....doesn't look bulky - maybe just the ticket.....now to figure out where to put it ??? i hope someone is ((( ON ))) this issue

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think they look tacky, I actually like how you can see thru them, almost as if the car is floating when in motion, pretty sweet lookin'. As for a sideways skid.... umm... don't do one. Now about that spike-strip resistance factor they have going on... so what? If they keep cars from wrecking from blown out and flat tires, then that will drastically reduce vehicle death rates across the US, and that's what the cops should worry about most, not the fact that we can bypass their stupid spike strips. If they want to stop a car, that's what the Apache Attack Helicopter is for :lol: .

·
Registered
750 Posts
nothing new under the sun, I was thinking about starting a post about this but appearently there already was one 100 years ago... heres a cool video about it though

·
Registered
347 Posts
Now, what happens when you fill them full of mud? LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts