Discussion Starter #1

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Well there you have it! Congrats.:thumbs:

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Thanks to All of you!!! I'm proof you can survive the wait!!

I drove my baby tonight, although not home, she is safe. She had 10 miles on her when they rolled her off the truck around 1:00pm today. The Saturn staff said they didn't even know she was close. everyone hollared"the Sky truck is at the light!!!" and ran outside to meet it, like they'd never seen a car before. I hate I was not there. but I came rushing straight there from work(after 5). My digital camera went on the fritz, but I bought a disposable one and I hope I can post the pics in a minute..be right back:willy:

·
Registered
438 Posts
NCBlue said:
I drove my baby tonight, although not home, she is safe. She had 10 miles on her when they rolled her off the truck around 1:00pm today. The Saturn staff said they didn't even know she was close. everyone hollared"the Sky truck is at the light!!!" and ran outside to meet it, like they'd never seen a car before. I hate I was not there. but I came rushing straight there from work(after 5). My digital camera went on the fritz, but I bought a disposable one and I hope I can post the pics in a minute..be right back:willy:

I have the same car ordered! How does the silver look with the chrome wheels????????

·
Registered
68 Posts
NCblue That's damn cool. I feel the good time rolling that buggie from here.
It's on base. Done deal.
Looks like the dream is coming around. Congrats!

Got to get back to building the boat.
How much do two skys weigh?

·
408 Posts
Ok-here are some pics-didn't really turn out well, but...

:D I tried. more to come(sorry -new to this posting pics game:D The car drove great!!! The chrome wheels look fantastic w/ the silver-they just sparkle!! the GM said that he spk w/ the truck driver as there were 6 solstices and my car on the truck and asked him to compare-he said the Sky was on a whole other level aove the solstice-tighter, better looks, handling, everything (just his humble opinion of course) but I totally agree!!!!
The only thing I found in sitting in my Sky was getting out and closing the driver door-you had to really almost slam it to get it to be fully closed. the instant you put the key in the ignition, it fires up with a mighty purr and the display says "Saturn Sky" and displays the temp(it was 58 degrees and the mileage-it said "10 miles". the Tech Tommy-great guy-let me ride with him while he did the PDI-post dealer inspection(?) and he drove it to the gas station, and put in regular:)eek: ) bu he said it shouldn't matter if reg or premium (don't worry, I've read the gas thread). we got a lot of looks at the station:cool: . he then said they normally drive it another 10 miles, but ince it only had 10 on it, he would let me drive back to the retailer:willy: . He pulled into a church parking lot and we had a bit of trouble finding the doorlocks, so he just cut off the engine and we switched places. The clutch was so smooth-like a hot knife through butter!! the shifter took a little getting use to, as I had never had a short-throw shifter like that. I tended to try to puch it farther down than needed, but it was a bit stiffer than I'm used to. BUt I will get used to it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
NCBlue said:
:D I tried. more to come(sorry -new to this posting pics game:D The car drove great!!! The chrome wheels look fantastic w/ the silver-they just sparkle!! the GM said that he spk w/ the truck driver as there were 6 solstices and my car on the truck and asked him to compare-he said the Sky was on a whole other level aove the solstice-tighter, better looks, handling, everything (just his humble opinion of course) but I totally agree!!!!
The only thing I found in sitting in my Sky was getting out and closing the driver door-you had to really almost slam it to get it to be fully closed. the instant you put the key in the ignition, it fires up with a mighty purr and the display says "Saturn Sky" and displays the temp(it was 58 degrees and the mileage-it said "10 miles". the Tech Tommy-great guy-let me ride with him while he did the PDI-post dealer inspection(?) and he drove it to the gas station, and put in regular:)eek: ) bu he said it shouldn't matter if reg or premium (don't worry, I've read the gas thread). we got a lot of looks at the station:cool: . he then said they normally drive it another 10 miles, but ince it only had 10 on it, he would let me drive back to the retailer:willy: . He pulled into a church parking lot and we had a bit of trouble finding the doorlocks, so he just cut off the engine and we switched places. The clutch was so smooth-like a hot knife through butter!! the shifter took a little getting use to, as I had never had a short-throw shifter like that. I tended to try to puch it farther down than needed, but it was a bit stiffer than I'm used to. BUt I will get used to it!!
This is sweet dude!! Dang I am just dying waiting. Maybe I'll fly out to NC catch a ride with ya!!

Will you sleep tonight?:driving:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Very nice!!!

Hopefully me learning how to drive stick is like butter... lol... never drove it before. Well I did... but it was my first day ever behind the wheel... it was in an 81 Chevette... and I was grinding like crazy.

I can't wait to drive mine around... will be like the original Saturns, when people were like, what is that??? A Saturn??? WTF is a Saturn... :lol: :rolleyes:

Oh, and noone will find the door lock button... :thumbs:

PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection.

NCBlue said:

·
408 Posts
More pics!!

Ok-sorry i have dial-up and it takes so long to post the pics-5 at a time. Meanwhile, I'll type!! Getting into the car was great-clearance was good, and it felt like it was giving me a big hug as I sank down into the black leather seats (first time I've had leather). the controls for the cruise control and radio are right there on the steering wheel, just like in the pics on the sites, and they worked! the stereo sounded awesome-can't wait to drop the top and crank it up!! I tested all of the cupholders and they slid smoothly out of their compartments, and right above the passenger side holder,on the underside of the dash, is the outlet(12V I think) for your cell phone car charger (in my case). the glove box was tiny, but it lowered slowly straight down and kinda towards you and held about a 8.5x11 piece of paper folded into 4ths. that's how small it was!!. But then, it doesn't need to be that big for me-just enough to hold a travel size lotion and waterless hand soap (you never know when you may have to stop at a questionable gas station for a potty break on those long outings I plan on taking!!). the rear console compartment was smaller that I remembered on the Solstice, but it could have been that I was looking at it from the passenger side angle instead of the drivers side lik i was in the solstice. The overhead light comes from the underside of the rearview mirror and it has 2 maplights-one on either side. you just press up on the little button underneath each side of it and it shines right down. The interior of the roof looks really finished. it almost seems to have a bar running across the middle(from left-right) for support, so it seems sturdier. i don't remember that from the solstice. It already has a clearcoat seal (kinda like a clear bra material) around the afbts and they wanted me to get the clear bra from 3m installed. I would like to see how the other companies make theirs and see if there is one that does not have the line on it. i'd like to see one up close, if possible. I think i will get the mudflaps too since seeing them on here. I ordered my car cover, but my car got here first!! hooray!! it should be in tomorrow(Wed).
The second pic is of the trunk(sideways), but it was too dark-sorry

Attachments

·
408 Posts
No Sleep for me tonight or tomorrow night!!!

I could hardly work after the GM called and told me she was here. He called about 2:10 and I saw the saturn number come up and braced myself. He said"are you sitting down" I said yes. He said "your car is here" and I was speechless:my heart was racing a mile a minute!!! I was soo excited i started to jump up, but then I remembered I was at work and we aren't suposed to take personal calls except at lunch, break, etc. So I calmed down a little just started telling everyone around me that "my car is here!!my car is here!!" and grinning from ear to ear, like I still can't stop!!! So he then said that he didn't have the paperwork yet from saturn, so i would need to wait to actually pick her up. he was going to be out Fri, so he asked me if I wanted to take delivery on Thursday or Sat. Duh!!!! So I told him Thursday would be great, but I will be by there tonight to check on her and make sure this was not a wonderful dream. He said they are going to clear the showroom and put my baby in there by herself so she will not have to share the spotlight with any of her cousins, nice as they may be. On Saturday, they are supposed to have the press come by for a photo shoot and we are going to be in the local paper(Winston-Salem Journal) in the middle of the full page saturn ad. In the meantime, they will have a picture of me and my baby on their webpage (I think it's saturnofwinstonsalem.com-will let you know afterwhile)
Oh-note to those who were going to try to debadge the front of the sky(I think-if not, just ignore this) the Saturn emblem is part of the chrome, it doesn't stick out any-it is cut into it. The red area is deeper than the chrome area so unless you want to take off the whole chrome piece on the front, you can't easily remove it(but people will find a way where there's a will) there are 2 GM badges on the sides of the Sky-really small and the same color as my car(silver pearl). They are on the lower part of the panel next to the front tires. I don't know what color they will be on the others(haven't paid much attention to that detail-sorry). the only other Saturn symbol is on the rear edge, between the lid and license plate area. That one may be removable as discussed by many. One thing I had questions about were the sunvisors, and they are small, made of hard plastic. Both of them have the airbag warning molded into them, so I don't know how you might camoflage the garish yellow and white warnings. The visors are almost one with the roof frame, so they don't stick out at all. they fold firmly back into place once you flip them down and check your makeup (or hair, or lack thereof:D )

Attachments

·
408 Posts
Here's some more!!!

SO-I got off the phone with the GM, and zapped off an email to my mom at work, and the I logged into the Forum. I just had to share with you guys, since we've been through so much together-our little (but growing) Sky family:grouphug: So I could hardly wait for 5:00 to get here:willy: but I had to keep doing ths thing called work(what's that you say??) in order to pay for my baby. The people at W-S are great-thanks to Keith(sales), Greg (GM) and all of the staff, including the receptionist who almost recognizes my voice now:lol: They've really been great reps of the Saturn Way-People First.
Ok-bak to my visit to see my baby for the first time. My parents met me there-my dad was almost more excited (nahhh:nono:) than I was. We walked around back and I saw her from afar-the sculpted rearend and red shining taillights letting me know she was home at last. I recognized her signature silver pearl shining like a beacon, calling me to come closer. She was still covered with the protective white plastic rock guards(clingy plastic coating squares) and door "bumper" guards(? looked like rectangles of foam attached to the door areas). the inside still had the plastic steering wheel cover on it, as did the seats and floorboard. the chrome door sills had the blue plastic clinging to them(had to tell my mom that the blue comes off-she seemed kinda disappointed). we opened the hood and i got in and got my very first hug from my baby (everybody say awwwww). we then had to part ways, so I could get another camera!!! my digital one didn't download, it seems, so it was full and i could not figure out how to clear it (dang that new contraption!!) so we went inside and discussed the financing. they are going to try to meet my credit union rate, so that will be great!! GM's normal rate was lke 6.7/6.1 or so. no incentives for this baby!! oh well, I had planned on that and had been saving for a big downpayment. And I sold my 01SC2 (gone but not forgotten) so I will use that to help bring it down. I also got the extended warranty 100K miles(gonna put some miles on this baby-road trip anyone??? meet you on I-40!!!)The car turned out to be like $26320, then add on the First place finish to protect against paint fading or any interior wear, etc, and the clear bra is $499 for the heft(yet reasonable) sum of $27218. under $30k and a schwweeeeeet ride!!!!!

Attachments

·
408 Posts
5 more!!

After we did he financing, they took me back to the garage area and I go to see her withou all the plastic. They had the trunk open and then lifted her up. I got to walk under her before I actually go to drive her-kinda strange, but beautiful none the less. All the techs were coming over and walking underneath too but I couldn't make out what they were saying-I was too busy taking pictures!! Enjoy!

Attachments

·
408 Posts
Last 2 for now

They lowered her down off the lift, then Tommy let me ride with him to the inspection station-20 foot away in their bay!!! She passed of course and he applied the sticker. The first time I got to crank'er up was right after that, and I backed her up to take these pictures. Then, I really did have to leave, as all the techs and the shop was closing. I did offer to pull up a chair and make sure she made it through that first night in a strange house (that can be rough, you know:lol: ) But they said she would be ok. They cleared the ION and RELAY out of the showroom and were going to bring her into the spotlight for the night.
Sleep well, little one. Don't worry-Mommy will be back tomorrow and then the next day we'll get to go home:willy:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: This is hard on a Canadian,:willy: I can wait . I can wait:willy:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Very nice!!!

Hopefully me learning how to drive stick is like butter... lol... never drove it before. Well I did... but it was my first day ever behind the wheel... it was in an 81 Chevette... and I was grinding like crazy.
That is funny, the last stick shift car I owned was a 81 Chevette.... Spooky...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I made this up to put on a T-shirt and Hat to wear when I am going to pick up my Sky..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 113 Posts