Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to order the rear dual exhaust panel from Saturn today...although it is in their computer... they will not distribute it to the public....any suggestions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Upon first confirmed delivery of a RL, call the local dealer and tell them you were rear ended and need a new bumper & panel. That, or tell a body shop to call for you. That might do the trick.

p.s. I'm in San Diego now, but I grew up in Old Bridge, NJ....Hello Marlboro..thanks for all the nice girls I knew in high school :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
marlboromike said:
I tried to order the rear dual exhaust panel from Saturn today...although it is in their computer... they will not distribute it to the public....any suggestions?
I'll be back in town on Saturday. I will give my dealer a call and see what they know. We might just have to wait a bit longer.. maybe once the RL's are released, they will open up ordering.

At some point they have to open it up.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I do believe that there is federal law in place that dictates that parts must be available for xars for 11 years after is production. There certainly must be exceptions as anybody that had a Ford SHO came to understand as they fairly quickly could noy get important engine parts for their Yamaha built engines. That said, it would be fair to assume that since the car that the part goes on has just started production there is a) not a backup supply or need, or b) it is a coding issue within the parts data base. MANY companies run into "available" issues when a part is that new. When I bought my 1997 Chevy Express Van I wanted stiffer shocks. That was a big :lol: :lol:. It took MONTHS before GM could get their own data base fixed because the part number for the front shocks was WRONG (the number got you rear shocks for one of their cars) and the aftermarket took 18 months to get things sorted out. It was a real :brentil: :banghead:

So, hang on for a while. It will come available soon enough. :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I will say it again... I had originally planned to replace my hand-cut fascia with the official Red Line part, but seeing the way that the altered single outlet looks and the structural support that exists behind it, I now have no intention of spending a couple of hundred bucks to replace something that looks and works just fine.

If you want to wait for the Red Line Fascia you can, but there is really no need to do so... Be bold, cut the fascia and get a dual exhaust now. If you don't like it, or if the fascia gets mauled in the cutting, then get the Red Line part to replace it if you have to. But don't assume that you must have the dual outlet part when the results of cutting the stock part can be more than adequate.

Just my opinion, folks. You can ignore me, of course, as many people often do...:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Also parts are available! The reported accidents (other than one total) have reported parts availability within a week or so.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt only please

:)
I work for an automotive oem, speaking only from my own experience as a supplier to gm, parts for production and repair parts are treated totally different from a gm purchasing standpoint. Our production parts contract spec that we must supply gm with service parts for the service life of the part. But we do not actually sell the service parts to gm, we sell them to a division of gm called gmspo and it typically takes 2 to 4 months from when we receive pre-production part approval before we even get a purchase order for repair parts.

That being said if they are just now producing the first run a cars, it might be closer to oct-nov before the parts are available to the dealers for service parts. (Please note I only know this from the supplier side of things and gm may have sometype of system in place to ship repair parts from the production plant they use when starting to build and release new cars)

·
Registered
877 Posts
mabey if we all bug rk sports they will make one for us..........

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
mabey if we all bug rk sports they will make one for us..........
I had called them a few months ago about it and they said that there were no immediate plans to make one. They weren't sure the demand would be there as it has for the sol. There are 3 or 4 aftermarket options for the sol! and 0 for us. :mad:

I understand ours is a little more complex due to the backup light being integrated into the panel but at least one aftermarket option would be nice.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what if you get in an accident,..

"knock on wood"

do you just go around with a dented in sky?

"knock on wood again"

:rolleyes:

asked the same thing when I called dealerships trying to find out how and when I can order the panel..... below is what I posted on a similiar thread-- the short of it is... and I believe this happend to some of the SOL people, is that if you dent your car in the first month or so after release, they were stuck waiting for parts. from what I understand is that the dealer could try and get the part from the factory (they normally come from a parts distributor to dealers/auto shops) but even that took weeks.
so i the case of someone like me, trying to get a part just to modify my car, not gonna happen. So what I need to do is take a sledge hammer to hit and then tell them I backed into that squirrel mentioned on another thread... that should put me at the top of the list...:jester:

From similiar thread"--

"Finally got a chance to call about the rear facia.

I called 4 dealerships and they all told me that the above part number did not exist and basically were not helpful at all.

The 5th dealer was finally helpful. He pulled up the parts list for the RL and bammoo! he read of the exact part number posted above-- 15858805

but...

still not available to order and he wasn't sure when it would be. He said "normally" they will have the parts available before the model is released but with the sky it has been different.

he said that some parts weren't available for the base sky for weeks after release and then when they did come that they were for dealer use only.

meaning they could only order them to replace/repair current sky owners cars under warranty or what not. That they couldn't sell them directly to the public thru the parts dept as they wanted to make sure parts were available to current customers first and not Joe shmo off the street buying up parts to sell them at a premium on ebay.

I thought this was understandable as I would be pissed if I went in to get some warranty work done to find out parts were on shortage but yet they were on ebay for a zillion dollars.

He said he really had no idea when the RL rear panel would be available but that I should call back in a few weeks. He had no idea what price would be."

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had called them a few months ago about it and they said that there were no immediate plans to make one. They weren't sure the demand would be there as it has for the sol. There are 3 or 4 aftermarket options for the sol! and 0 for us. :mad:

I understand ours is a little more complex due to the backup light being integrated into the panel but at least one aftermarket option would be nice.
I spoke to Wes at Saturn Motorsports today. He told me they are working on a Dual Cat Back that includes a body colored matching rear facia.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I spoke to Wes at Saturn Motorsports today. He told me they are working on a Dual Cat Back that includes a body colored matching rear facia.
sweeeeeeeeet!!

thanks for the info! hope it comes before the GM one, I'll have a hard time waiting... I hope it will be cheaper than the gm one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
asked the same thing when I called dealerships trying to find out how and when I can order the panel..... below is what I posted on a similiar thread-- the short of it is... and I believe this happend to some of the SOL people, is that if you dent your car in the first month or so after release, they were stuck waiting for parts. from what I understand is that the dealer could try and get the part from the factory (they normally come from a parts distributor to dealers/auto shops) but even that took weeks.
so i the case of someone like me, trying to get a part just to modify my car, not gonna happen. So what I need to do is take a sledge hammer to hit and then tell them I backed into that squirrel mentioned on another thread... that should put me at the top of the list...:jester:

HAHA,.. that darned squirell haunts us all..:brentil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts