Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My leased Altima was broken into while parked at a boat launch ramp last Sunday. My insurance company provided a rental while my car was in repair. It was a econobox 4 door Chevy Colbolt. It didn't even have power windows. I was dumbfounded to recognize that some parts on this car were identical to those on my 2 Sky's. The door knobs and the entire instrument cluster are the same as those on the Sky. The speedo only goes to 120 but the gauge design is identical to those on the Sky. The digital readouts are also the same (with the exception of the boost gauge on the turbo). The door locks are also the same. This car has a 2.2 litre econotec engine which is bigger than the one in the RL. I think GM used the smallest of the small 4 bangers in the RL, then turbocharged it, just so they could brag that it produces more hp per litre than any other engine they make. Seeing parts that I thought were exclusive to the Sky in the Colbolt cheapens my opinion of the Sky.

Richard

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes that may be the case , but it also allows GM to save money by using or sharing parts with other cars. That helps us by keeping the cost down

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
My leased Altima was broken into while parked at a boat launch ramp last Sunday. My insurance company provided a rental while my car was in repair. It was a econobox 4 door Chevy Colbolt. It didn't even have power windows. I was dumbfounded to recognize that some parts on this car were identical to those on my 2 Sky's. The door knobs and the entire instrument cluster are the same as those on the Sky. The speedo only goes to 120 but the gauge design is identical to those on the Sky. The digital readouts are also the same (with the exception of the boost gauge on the turbo). The door locks are also the same. This car has a 2.2 litre econotec engine which is bigger than the one in the RL. I think GM used the smallest of the small 4 bangers in the RL, then turbocharged it, just so they could brag that it produces more hp per litre than any other engine they make. Seeing parts that I thought were exclusive to the Sky in the Colbolt cheapens my opinion of the Sky.

Richard
Just a note GM did not use the 2.0L engine because they wanted to get more hp per litre than any other engine. The2.0L, 2.2L, & 2.4L all share the same block they just make the cylinder walls thinner the larger the engine, so they used the 2.0L since it had the thickest cylinder walls. Also should point out it has been very widely reported that the Solstice and the Sky are both parts bin cars, in that they use common components from alot of other GM cars. How else do you think they managed to keep the price so low?

Happy :driving:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a note GM did not use the 2.0L engine because they wanted to get more hp per litre than any other engine. The2.0L, 2.2L, & 2.4L all share the same block they just make the cylinder walls thinner the larger the engine, so they used the 2.0L since it had the thickest cylinder walls. Also should point out it has been very widely reported that the Solstice and the Sky are both parts bin cars, in that they use common components from alot of other GM cars. How else do you think they managed to keep the price so low?

Happy :driving:

Makes sense, but with such a large part bin to choose from, you think they could have done better than choosing parts from their bottom of the barrel vehicles. Now I realize why the Sky gauges look so cheap.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think the gauges look just fine. I rode in my friend's Cobalt last weekend and i too noticed they were practically the same, but that does not make them ugly or cheap looking. Having been inside a Sky a few times, i can say they are good looking and serve their purpose, but this may be a case of "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder (or is it, beerholder)".

I see nothing wrong with GM sharing gauges with other vehicles. Not just is this not the first time we see it happen, but as someone mentioned already, it also helps GM save money, which in turn makes the car more affordable. Not all of us are as lucky to be able to buy cars just for storage, and a $5,000 difference may very well be the difference between being able to afford a car or not. If sharing gauges with the Cobalt is something i have to put up with so i can actually afford a sky, it's a small price to pay.

I have a much bigger issue with Ford putting different grills on their cars and calling them Lincolns/Mercuries than GM sharing gauges and something as stupid as door locks with some of their vehicles.

Some people can look past small things, other choose to whine about them.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
let me rephrase for the pedants, you can't get much power out of an engine with 2 L of dispacement, even if it is turbocharged.
Let me rephrase then: Liter is not a measure of power. Turbocharged 2.0 Liter puts out 260 HP and has the higest HP/Cu.in output of any GM engine. By comparison, the 4 Liter V-6 Mustang is only good for 210 HP.

Do some simple research before you start spouting off about stuff you know nothing about. Talk about pedants... sheesh!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Let me rephrase then: Liter is not a measure of power. Turbocharged 2.0 Liter puts out 260 HP and has the higest HP/Cu.in output of any GM engine. By comparison, the 4 Liter V-6 Mustang is only good for 210 HP.

Do some simple research before you start spouting off about stuff you know nothing about. Talk about pedants... sheesh!
i stand corrected, the rl will have awesome power! (giggle, giggle)

·
Registered
225 Posts
why are you here trying to start problems? you obviously don't know what you're talking about A, and B if you don't like the car then go join some hummer forum which will give you tons of horsepower and go 0-60 in like 15 seconds.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As an old commercial once said -- "Parts is parts..."
I have no idea of the actual costs of many of the parts used from "cheaper" cars or from more "expensive" cars but I do know - regardless they are marked up to the heights.
The chrome door pulls, for example... I have seen them on a number of cars (look at a VW Beetle -- the SKYs are upside down - but identical)
But face it a Speedometer (I am making up a price) for a SKY/Cobalt yada-yada-yada cost $200.... It would cost $375 for a new design. But you know what? If you order enough to build all the SKYs and the Cobalts it will cost $200. 10,000 parts for a car will not get the discount of 125,000. Another wonder -- they both tell you the speed.
We all know this comparison:
Door pull on a Chevy - $100
Same door pull on a Caddy - $250

You may not like the look of something - but GM played it smart in using the best discounted things from their parts bin to make limited run car.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
I think, Skypilot, you are confusing "cheap" with "inexpensive". Cheap implies low value, or not of a quality adequate to its purpose. The Sky/Sol twins are not cheap, but they have been kept inexpensive through the sharing of parts, both with each other, and with the GM family.

Way2Fast, if it bothers you to see non-exclusive parts in the Sky, don't ever buy a vintage Ferrari. They are full of Fiat parts.

One thing you haven't commented on yet is the fact that it has a pickup truck transmission. Surely that rates some kind of negativity.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
On the other hand . .

Maybe, just maybe, the Cobalt is trying to upscale by using the same instument cluster as the SKY . . .:)

Just a thought. I like the looks of the 'parts bin' parts. I think the designers have done fairly well for themselves.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
My only complaint about the instrument cluster is that it lacks Oil Pressure and Water Temperature gauges. I know that they aren't necessary, since the computer is watching, probably better than I would, but still. I am old school, and I like gauges.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My only complaint about the instrument cluster is that it lacks Oil Pressure and Water Temperature gauges. I know that they aren't necessary, since the computer is watching, probably better than I would, but still. I am old school, and I like gauges.
Can't help the oil pressure - but you can leave the DIC on the Coolant Temp spot...:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
i wonder how many rpm's gm's big bad 2L turbocharged engine has to reach before it develops maximum horsepower?

how much does that turbocharger help from a stop?

will the rl beat a moped off the line?

·
Registered
380 Posts

Richard
I think "Way2fast" is "Way2slow" when it comes to understanding the cost of a part is determined by the number of parts produced, divided into the cost of the tool to produce it. For example 10000 parts divided into $50000 tool or die cost = $5.00 each to amortise the die. Produce 50000 pieces on the same tool and the cost drops to $1.00 each. By GM sharing parts, the cost of the car drops considerably. This give us the consumer more bang for the buck. I have no problem as to where GM shares the parts as long as they are quality and perform. I wonder if Way2 fast saw the same instrument cluster in a Cadillac he would still call it cheap. I have a $42,000 BMW Z4 and I don't think the quality of the interior is really any better than the Sky. Same old plastic panels and dash. Go to a BMW dealer and take a look.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Someone out there (Pileit?) is drinking their "Walmart" beer a little early in the day..OOps..time zone difference (can't seem to get those 2L down quick enough)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts