Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've been thinking about getting a sky sometime next year. Right now i have a cobalt ss with the 2.4 eco w/ an intake and a tune, i know its not a power jump or anything but the sky is so damn sexy.. Anyway i just have a couple of questions for you guys since the sky will probably be my daily driver, i could use the rents rav4 on and off in the winter.. I would probably get red or white depending on how well the leather seats hold up since you cant get cloth with the white....my questions are:

How is the leather holding up on the seats? I know these seats arent the best, i wouldnt want them cracking after a few months.

Other than the rear end whinning issues anyone experiencing any big problems?

How are the breaks?

Can i get chili pepper red with a black top?

how does she handle in the rain?

Would the dealer install a leather wrapped steering wheel if i ordered it through gm parts?

How are the interior plastics holding up?

Can anyone post pics of chili pepper red with cloth seats w/ a black top up.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'll chime in and let you know what I have learned here. I am still waiting for my Redline.

"How is the leather holding up on the seats?"
They tend to "pucker" a bit after a while. Cracking? Not for years.

"Can i get chili pepper red with a black top?" Yup.

"how does she handle in the rain?" Ehh. So so. Apparently very tire dependent.

"Would the dealer install a leather wrapped steering wheel if i ordered it through gm parts?" It comes with a leather wrapped steering wheel.

If you want a Redline you ought to order it NOW. It will probably take until Spring to get it. A regular Sky would take less time, but there would be a wait.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Nice job Snapon!
Ask a question (or four) and get the info! :thumbs:

How about that Snowbred!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. I would just get a regular sky, most likely in white since you say the leather holds up decently, unless the chili pepper red crowd can convince me their color is better lol..i really wouldnt mind having cloth seats though, if they look alright of course. I just asked about the leather because in the cobalts the leather gets screwed up rather quickly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I would just get a regular sky, most likely in white since you say the leather holds up decently, unless the chili pepper red crowd can convince me their color is better lol..i really wouldnt mind having cloth seats though, if they look alright of course. I just asked about the leather because in the cobalts the leather gets screwed up rather quickly.
I'm happy with my cloths seats...they don't get too hot in the summer, and I assume they won't get too cold in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

I reverse order -

What do you mean by "screwed up rather quickly"? With all due respect to everybody, we are talking GM, not MB.

I have changed my order from Silver Pearl to Silver Graphite to White. There is only one color I don't like (no, I have NO intention of answering the obvious question). Having seen all the colors I just think that the white really looks good. I just like white on cars with "edges" on them. Saw a white Solstice and it was blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Hell, get what you like.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It seems that your question about breaks has not been addressed. I don't take many breaks from driving my Sky however, my brakes work fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems that your question about breaks has not been addressed. I don't take many breaks from driving my Sky however, my brakes work fine.
Thanks. Anyone know about the steering wheel? If i do not get the premium package can i order the leather wrapped steering wheel w/ radio controls and have it installed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ok help me out here guys... msrp for the sky i want is 26,240... trade in value on my car is approx close to 16k.. but i owe 21,000 so roughly thats about a 5k difference.. maybe i'm calculating this wrong but from the gmac financial site they tell you :The value you estimate a dealer will place on the vehicle you wish to trade, after subtracting any amount you owe on the vehicle..

so would that be then for my car i would get approx 11k? or so.. then that would be 11k-26,240 which would be..like 15k? that seems rather low to me, i think i'm calculating this trade in thing completely wrong.. i thought that the 5k would be added onto the 26k any help? because if it is like this i would get a sky asap.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
ok help me out here guys... msrp for the sky i want is 26,240... trade in value on my car is approx close to 16k.. but i owe 21,000 so roughly thats about a 5k difference.. maybe i'm calculating this wrong but from the gmac financial site they tell you :The value you estimate a dealer will place on the vehicle you wish to trade, after subtracting any amount you owe on the vehicle..

so would that be then for my car i would get approx 11k? or so.. then that would be 11k-26,240 which would be..like 15k? that seems rather low to me, i think i'm calculating this trade in thing completely wrong.. i thought that the 5k would be added onto the 26k any help? because if it is like this i would get a sky asap.
No... The deal is that your car is worth 16, but you owe 21. Therefore, your SKY will cost 26K, PLUS you will have to come up with the extra 5 to pay off your old loan. Therefore, you need to come up with a total of 31 in terms of cash on hand and financing.

I.e....

If your car was worth 20, but you owed 8, and you wanted to buy a 26K car... Your trade in would be worth 12K (20K - 8) and you could subtract that from the SKY: 26K - 12K = 14K loan.

In your case, your car is worth 16, but you owe 21. So it's worth (16-21) or -5K (you need to PAY 5K to pay off your loan when you sell the car.) Therefore to buy the sky: 26K + 5K = 31K loan.

Bummer, dude!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
i guess i will have to wait a little while then, if i pay it down below 16k will i be okay?
The problem is that as you pay your loan down, the value of the car is also going down. If you pay the balance down to $16K over the next year, the value of the car will drop too, possibly as much as $3-4K depending on the car. Eventually you'll get to the point where the two amounts are pretty much even, but it won't be at $16K unless you make a $5K payment right now.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Ok. So basically to help summarize things, when you go to trade in a car that you're still making payments on, they will only give you what the car is worth. If that isn't enough to finish the loan, then you owe the bank the difference.

So if you have 10K saved for deposit on a sky, but owe 16 on your current cobalt and the car's worth is 11. That means you still owe 5 more to finish the loan, so you're original 10K down payment for the sky turns into only 5K. make sense?

I'm in a similar situation as you bud. I owe about 11,500 on my 2004 Tiburon while it's only worth about 9-10.

DON'T FORGET. Your cars worth means diddly until you actually go to RECEIVE your sky. The dealer won't price your Cobalt now, and then keep that same number when you go to bring your sky home 4 months from now. They will reappraise (sp?) your cars worth THEN, and not now. Keep that in mind.

Start shopping around for loan interest rates. After you get an educated guess of what your payments would be, then decide whether or not you can buy the sky.

If you have a down payment less than 2K for that 26K or so car, you can expect your montly payments to be in the 500 /month range.

Goodluck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was thinking about making a huge payment on the car in the next few months around 5 or 6k to try and get it below what its worth.. so the sky is more affordable then..i mean im payin 400 a month for this car because of the gap insurance all i still owed on the trade in. so i figure if i can get what i owe down to 14 or so i should be in better shape

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Another option or 2. Instead of trading it in, sell it yourself, you might get more money that way, of course research what it worth when your ready, another option, go to an carmax dealer, they will appraise it and make you an offer on the spot if its in good condition, these offers on paper, are usually good for 7 days and/or 300 miles.. Sometimes these offers are way much better that a dealer trade-in offer--Good Luck!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Another option or 2. Instead of trading it in, sell it yourself, you might get more money that way, of course research what it worth when your ready, another option, go to an carmax dealer, they will appraise it and make you an offer on the spot if its in good condition, these offers on paper, are usually good for 7 days and/or 300 miles.. Sometimes these offers are way much better that a dealer trade-in offer--Good Luck!!
Never thought about that one.. thanks..

God must hate me.. for the first time today i see a red sky in the configuration i want driving home from school today lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts