Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only Sky i would buy would be the R/L & seeing insurance rates as high as they are... I think im going to have to give it up. :banghead: Sucks being only 20 although, my insurance company has 'guarenteed' me a 34% discout when I turn 21 next March. Ahhhhh... what to do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Have you considered getting on your folks policy? I carried my sons until they were 25 and when my youngest experienced real life prices he was wondering why he left the womb!:lol:
Check it out if your folks are willing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Insurance sucks for us youngins. I pay just under $4k a year for my SRT-4(3rd highest car to insure) for no damn reason. If you truely want the R/L I would suggest buying a worthless beater car and insure both of them and have the beater listed as your daily driver and R/L as your weekend cruiser. Rates are generally cheaper for the two cars that way than just one R/L alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am on my parents policy. The regular base sky is $994 every 6 months... I really didnt want to get the base b/c I belief, if your going to do it, do it right & BIG... Im kinda leaning toward the Hummer but maybe I will just settle for a base sky... they just are so damn sexy every time i look at them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Rate discount...good timing?

Hey, if you order the car now, you probably won't get it until March next year, and you'll qualify for that discount....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,163 Posts
if u could afford a HUMMER...u can afford the insurance...guess how much it is to fill that tank up....crying with 2 loaves of bread under each arm...get the little kids out of the forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts
It is great to be old, insurance is cheaper. AURA, SKY, SKY R/L will run about 350 a month for full coverage, will drop down some when I pay off Serenity and raise her deductable to 1200. At present Serenity cost me $560 dollars a year. Eventually thopugh Insdurance company's will reclassify SKYs toa higher insurance group, but for know I insured her in the 27K value range. I have a good insurance that works all the angles, and corrying my home insurance under one umbrella helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
insurance

Ernest said:
It is great to be old, insurance is cheaper. AURA, SKY, SKY R/L will run about 350 a month for full coverage, will drop down some when I pay off Serenity and raise her deductable to 1200. At present Serenity cost me $560 dollars a year. Eventually thopugh Insdurance company's will reclassify SKYs toa higher insurance group, but for know I insured her in the 27K value range. I have a good insurance that works all the angles, and corrying my home insurance under one umbrella helps.
You guys are getting ripped. I was paying $650 per year with full coverage and a $500 deductable on A Cadillac CTS-V thru Erie..
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
We have high insurance in Ontario. Especially in Toronto. :mad: I have to say I was supprised at the low rate I got on my Sky though. My '92 Nissan was costing me $1,300.00/year and my '07 Sky is costing me #1,750/year. Of course that rate will drop in the winter when I put her away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Canadian Dollars?

rick112 said:
We have high insurance in Ontario. Especially in Toronto. :mad: I have to say I was supprised at the low rate I got on my Sky though. My '92 Nissan was costing me $1,300.00/year and my '07 Sky is costing me #1,750/year. Of course that rate will drop in the winter when I put her away.
I assume that you are quoting Canadian dollars. Even at conversion, that seems like a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Curious to know what your rate quote was

My Erie agent couldn't find the Sky in their system but quoted me around $900 for a Solstice and I'm 40 something. That's with all of the multiple policies I have with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Ernest said:
It is great to be old, insurance is cheaper. AURA, SKY, SKY R/L will run about 350 a month for full coverage, will drop down some when I pay off Serenity and raise her deductable to 1200. At present Serenity cost me $560 dollars a year. Eventually thopugh Insdurance company's will reclassify SKYs toa higher insurance group, but for know I insured her in the 27K value range. I have a good insurance that works all the angles, and corrying my home insurance under one umbrella helps.
No Ernest. It ain't great to be old. I were 18 again......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
GaryH said:
No Ernest. It ain't great to be old. I were 18 again......
Like hell it isn't great being/getting old. There is but ONE alternative!!:eek: :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
snaponbob said:
Like hell it isn't great being/getting old. There is but ONE alternative!!:eek: :nono:
Oh so true, so true.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
CrackerJackToy said:
I am on my parents policy. The regular base sky is $994 every 6 months... I really didnt want to get the base b/c I belief, if your going to do it, do it right & BIG... Im kinda leaning toward the Hummer but maybe I will just settle for a base sky... they just are so damn sexy every time i look at them.
"Going big" would be buying a base Sky and turboing the 2.4L. You'll have more power, more torque, and base car insurence rates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Add your parents to your policy

Still waiting for a call back - but my insurance compnay indicated that if my step-daughter adds me and her mom as drivers on her policy that might help lower her rates a bit. Best thing to do is not have any accidetns - or moving violations - and get older - or buy a house or multi-cars - if still a student your company might have a good student discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Ditto here

Ernest said:
It is great to be old, insurance is cheaper. AURA, SKY, SKY R/L will run about 350 a month for full coverage, will drop down some when I pay off Serenity and raise her deductable to 1200. At present Serenity cost me $560 dollars a year. Eventually thopugh Insdurance company's will reclassify SKYs toa higher insurance group, but for know I insured her in the 27K value range. I have a good insurance that works all the angles, and corrying my home insurance under one umbrella helps.
Same here Ernest. I carry 3 cars and my home ins. to get all the discounts I can get. Also doesn't hurt to be ahh, shall we say "Mature." :D I think I'm paying about the same as you for insurance more or less.
Theresa :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Wow

Wow - $140 to $170 per month - for one car - I guess I am getting a good deal with my insurance company - I pay something like $102 a month total for 3 cars, two Honda Civics and a 64 GTO that is in storage with minimum coverage. Of course I get house+car, multi-car, and long-term customer discounts, maybe even safe driver if they still do that - no accidents or moving violations for me in years and years. (and I'm not under 25 years old either - I think I was paying about $100 a month for my Acura under my dad's policy back then).

Will be interesting to see when I get my Red Line what that will do to my insurance - of course, at least one of the Civics will be going away before then - so may still only be three cars total - haven't quite worked out the detials of what to do in bad weather conditions - to drive the Sky or not - if not then I may need a winter car - but I work at home, and the wife does not work every day - so though I might have to drive her to work once in awhile - i may be able to get away without a winter car.

Its always those little things like insurance and gas and tax etc - that makes what you thought was going to be a $375 a month payment end up costing you $500 a month.

Next step - actuall buy a Red Line (may not know if I can pull it off until mid-October at the earliest).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Lil GTO said:
Wow - $140 to $170 per month - for one car - I guess I am getting a good deal with my insurance company - I pay something like $102 a month total for 3 cars, two Honda Civics and a 64 GTO that is in storage with minimum coverage. Of course I get house+car, multi-car, and long-term customer discounts, maybe even safe driver if they still do that - no accidents or moving violations for me in years and years. (and I'm not under 25 years old either - I think I was paying about $100 a month for my Acura under my dad's policy back then).

Will be interesting to see when I get my Red Line what that will do to my insurance - of course, at least one of the Civics will be going away before then - so may still only be three cars total - haven't quite worked out the detials of what to do in bad weather conditions - to drive the Sky or not - if not then I may need a winter car - but I work at home, and the wife does not work every day - so though I might have to drive her to work once in awhile - i may be able to get away without a winter car.

Its always those little things like insurance and gas and tax etc - that makes what you thought was going to be a $375 a month payment end up costing you $500 a month.

Next step - actuall buy a Red Line (may not know if I can pull it off until mid-October at the earliest).
When I lived in Ohio my insurence on my 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege was $73 per month...in Michigan my premiums doubled. The lowest I could get for the Sky was $141 a month if I purchased renters insurence. (Single, Male, 24)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top