Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current shortage on Chrome wheels, I am looking at the possibility of buying 3rd party chrome wheels. I've searched most of sky roadster for info and have found bits and pieces, but am looking for current information on size and sources on the net. It would be great if someone could add to this thread the exact spec on the wheels. Size, offset, width, bolt pattern. I have seen some wheel dealers offering different sizes for the Sky and are saying it wont matter. Yea, right! Also, I know KappaSphere offers one wheel - we don't have to go over that again.

Also, what would be the best wheel to buy (if chrome is not available) painted or brushed - to sell later on ebay or here! I've seen some of the Solstice guys selling painted for about $450 a set. Would getting brushes be easier to sell? At what price? People are damaging their wheels on curbs. Would you sell one at a time?

I also would like to know the forged - cast issue and the difference between regular and lightweight racing wheels.

This could be a nice thread of information all in one place that others could use later to help make up their minds.

Thanks to all. Please contribute what you can.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Brentil had the specs on the wheels and posted about a month ago. Bring up wheel specs on search and see what happens. Skip:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip said:
Brentil had the specs on the wheels and posted about a month ago. Bring up wheel specs on search and see what happens. Skip:thumbs: :thumbs:
It's not all there, I don't believe we know the offset.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Turk said:
It's not all there, I don't believe we know the offset.
I remember the word offset being used. Pm Brentil he knows. Skip...:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Turk Wheel specs....... 245x45x18"x8"...... 55mm offset with 5x110bolt pattern on Brentil 1/17/2006, 04:13pm under search for chrome wheels. Am I good or what? SKIP....:cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skip said:
Turk Wheel specs....... 245x45x18"x8"...... 55mm offset with 5x110bolt pattern on Brentil 1/17/2006, 04:13pm under search for chrome wheels. Am I good or what? SKIP....:cool:
Great that helps a bit! Do you have any third party companies selling this spec?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Turk said:
Great that helps a bit! Do you have any third party companies selling this spec?
No im going to go with painted wheels. But somewhere you will find those wheels. Skip.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ah the wheel thread....i have been waiting on this for a while since i ordered painted wheels with the intention of upgrading all along
5x110 bolt pattern and a 45mm offset is what I have read. Some sites have 40mm offsets listed as fitting the solstice...not sure on that one. The stock wheels are 18x8 but some sites have 19x8.5 as fitting the solstice also.
There are several companies that custom fit thier wheels to any vehicle (i.e. make them the size you specify)
Gravana.jpg these are some wheels from Gravana that arent too expensive...they also have alot of other cool accesories listed for the solstice that i assume will fit the sky.
I'll don my flame retardent suit before i post the pics of the ones i really want for my sky Alot of our older patrons arent gonna like these
ASANTIAF-114forged.jpg
there are literally thousands of wheel options for you to choose from. I think it is a nice way to make your car unique and personalize it to the individual.
some are cheaper than the upgrade from the factory, some are considerably more expensive :cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have researched this alot and i see everything from 30mm to 55mm offsets listed for the sol / sky....to be honest i dont even understand offsets i am just repeating what i have read that will fit.....kappaspheres aftermarket 18's for Solstice are 45mm offset...if brentil said 55mm then i'm sure that will work.
is that a difference between the sol and sky or is 15mm to the offset such a small tolerance that it wont matter? i tend to believe the latter since i have also seen 30mm offsets listed as fitting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Turk,

For your questions on forged vs. cast, I'd start here: Link

If that doesn't answer your questions, or you want more details, do a search on google for forged vs cast wheels. You'll find more than a few tech articles on the subject.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As mentioned BOTH cars are 18"x8" with a 55mm offset wheels using 245/45/18 tires.

If you want to learn what Offset is here is a good tirerack.com resource;
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

From people experimenting we've seen offsets down to 45mm which is what is sold by all of the SolForum Supporters currently. 45mm offset wheels for our car are in essence high offset Cobalt SS wheels which has a default 35mm offset. I'm pretty sure those 35mm offset Cobalt wheels though would not properly fit on our car, I don't know anyone who's tried though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
thanks for the offset link...now i understand why so many FWD wheels showed up for the solstice..the positive offset :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turk said:
With the current shortage on Chrome wheels, I am looking at the possibility of buying 3rd party chrome wheels. I've searched most of sky roadster for info and have found bits and pieces, but am looking for current information on size and sources on the net. It would be great if someone could add to this thread the exact spec on the wheels. Size, offset, width, bolt pattern. I have seen some wheel dealers offering different sizes for the Sky and are saying it wont matter. Yea, right! Also, I know KappaSphere offers one wheel - we don't have to go over that again.

Also, what would be the best wheel to buy (if chrome is not available) painted or brushed - to sell later on ebay or here! I've seen some of the Solstice guys selling painted for about $450 a set. Would getting brushes be easier to sell? At what price? People are damaging their wheels on curbs. Would you sell one at a time?

I also would like to know the forged - cast issue and the difference between regular and lightweight racing wheels.

This could be a nice thread of information all in one place that others could use later to help make up their minds.

Thanks to all. Please contribute what you can.
How about these babies..... That's me in my Red Line..... now if I could just get them to BUILD IT !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
niteslider said:
nice where did you find those ?)
AND, are they available for the sky?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wheels

Turk said:
AND, are they available for the sky?
Those wheels are called LZ and I don't know if they are available for the Sky/Solstice yet. I would think they have something since the size/offset/bolt pattern is probably something they can just put together from what they already build. These are modular 2 piece with the rim and center separate pieces. They might have to know what the size and offset of the factory wheels are. I had one salesman (at a Pontiac dealer) tell me the Kappa wheel was 18" WIDE. I said no I mean wide -not diameter and he insisted they were 18 wide. I told him my Vette wheels only go to 11 inches (Z06 is more now, I think). We walked over to a wheel rack and I showed him some 20 inchers that were all no more than 8 wide. I certainly have seen road racing wheels for slicks that were 22 wide but not on street cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts