Saturn Sky Forum banner

Third Party

487 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BlueRL 
#1 ·
Why do we call the PO a third party? "I bought my car from a third party" If he/she was the original owner, they are the "Second Party" and YOU are the "Third party"?

#2 · (Edited)
I've always attributed third party as being independent and not affiliated with the producer of the property or the seller of the property. So I guess a consignment agent/mechanic would be the third party and the buyer would be a second party IMHO. My only thought is perhaps there is an association that the producer (GM in this case) is the first party and that the dealership would be second party and then subsequently the PO would be third party. I don't necessarily agree with that logic, but I can see how people would get to that conclusion.

#7 ·
I referred to a "third party" in a post yesterday. The reason I used that term was, the guy who did the selling was not the previous owner. Rather he was selling it for a friend. So, I figured, he was not the first party (owner) nor the second party ( me, the buyer.) I can see how it would seem odd in other cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.