Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DANG, I ripped up a splash guard!

On a run down the Pacific coast Saturday, 9/2, we had pulled into a cool neighborhood in Pacifica, CA (just south of San Francisco). The roads, though paved, are not the best and we scraped the air dam a few times as we creeped over the rough pavement. At one point we needed to turn around and our only option was to do a three point turn into a dirt parking area. As we crept off the pavement we heard a kind of crunching dragging sound - :eek: After we got pointed in the right direction we got out to see if the car was torn up. Well, the left front splash guard was sticking straight out to the left. The fender and panel was OK, just the splashguard was wrecked. I also noted that the air dam was a bit out of whack too.

NO, I was not hot footing it around! I know this car is low - remembering to do the 'California crawl over speed bumps and into/out of driveways. I just never expected to tear up a splash guard since it sits behind the wheels - guess I'm not as good a driver as I think I am.

Note to self - stay AWAY from uneven pavement/dirt!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
DANG, I ripped up a splash guard!

On a run down the Pacific coast Saturday, 9/2, we had pulled into a cool neighborhood in Pacifica, CA (just south of San Francisco). The roads, though paved, are not the best and we scraped the air dam a few times as we creeped over the rough pavement. At one point we needed to turn around and our only option was to do a three point turn into a dirt parking area. As we crept off the pavement we heard a kind of crunching dragging sound - :eek: After we got pointed in the right direction we got out to see if the car was torn up. Well, the left front splash guard was sticking straight out to the left. The fender and panel was OK, just the splashguard was wrecked. I also noted that the air dam was a bit out of whack too.

NO, I was not hot footing it around! I know this car is low - remembering to do the 'California crawl over speed bumps and into/out of driveways. I just never expected to tear up a splash guard since it sits behind the wheels - guess I'm not as good a driver as I think I am.

Note to self - stay AWAY from uneven pavement/dirt!

OUCH!!
Well, that settles it -- No off roading for this car -- At ALL!

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
This is what worried me about these guards. :confused: That was why I asked lotta questions regarding splash guards on your installation thread. I do have a couple questions tho for you. Were there any other Skys with you that day? If so, did any of them not have the guards & did any bottomed out? Are you sure no other damage occured to your car? You might want to have your dealer put her on a lift and do a "thorough" inspection of your entire bottom to check for "unseen" damage..I believe tho, that I will still be mounting these guys on, but your thread here worries me some, no doubt about it, especially if you report more damage because of the guards, pls keep us posted if you decide to "eye ball" the bottom--
MB

PS: Note to self--Stay off unpaved roads, or crappy paved roads--Take H2 for that..:D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what worried me about these guards. :confused: That was why I asked lotta questions regarding splash guards on your installation thread. I do have a couple questions tho for you. Were there any other Skys with you that day? If so, did any of them not have the guards & did any bottomed out? Are you sure no other damage occured to your car? You might want to have your dealer put her on a lift and do a "thorough" inspection of your entire bottom to check for "unseen" damage..I believe tho, that I will still be mounting these guys on, but your thread here worries me some, no doubt about it, especially if you report more damage because of the guards, pls keep us posted if you decide to "eye ball" the bottom--
MB

PS: Note to self--Stay off unpaved roads, or crappy paved roads--Take H2 for that..:D
I did a thourough look-see under the car - all is straight thank goodness. Having said that the dealer will get his chance next week during my scheduled 5K service. He'll also get to add a new splash guard.

We were running solo since it was a last minute deal - something that has happened quite a bit since the SKY came home!

Keep in mind that I was not running off road - just doing a turn around taking what I thought was great care not to bottom out. The road was so bad that we were scraping the air dam on it. Imagine the worst dirt road you have ever seen. Now throw some assphalt on it and call it paved. That's how bad this road was. It was by no means a main thouroufare. It was an almost private housing area, certainly not maintained with city or county money.

I would not be too concerrned with installing the splash guards - just don't do any offroading! In normal, everyday driving, you'll have no trouble at all with them and you'll be glad you have them for the amount of crud they keep off the sides.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you go to see nascar you will notice all the cars have very low profiles. Hot cars have that look. If you want to drive on dirt roads get a 4x4 jeep or a gass guzzling hummer.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go to see nascar you will notice all the cars have very low profiles. Hot cars have that look. If you want to drive on dirt roads get a 4x4 jeep or a gass guzzling hummer.

Funny, my wife said the same thing!

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Yup, my H2 is a gas guzzler (10.9 MPG), no doubt about that, but it takes me places the Sky can only dream about--That said, thats why I bought the Sky--BTW, I still own and will always own my big bad yellow hummer H2--Nothing like it. If you can't pay the gas tab, then buy all means, don't by the guzzler--It is tho, "my magic carpet ride"--Never driven, been in, nor have I EVER experienced another vehicle like it--It is absolutely one heck of a engineering feat--Thats why the Army uses it, thats why all armies would want it--incredible vehicle--Just like our Sky--:cool:

BTW I bought the Sky to save on fuel costs--Altho the H2 uses fuel, the Sky makes up for it in a small way--My way on saving on gas, so I can on occasion, drive my H2--But either way, as long as the oil flows, no matter the fuel costs, I will continue driving this wonderful truck--
MB

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am just glad to know that there are other States with bad roads too. I was feeling like Michigan was the only one with the road trouble. Now saying that, I'm really sad that other States have the road trouble and that your Sky was damaged due to it. I guess we all have to remember that if we see road trouble ahead, it's better to find a different route than to hear that ripping sound.
Hope the damage can be repaired fast and with out much $$ out of the pocket!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yup, my H2 is a gas guzzler (10.9 MPG), no doubt about that, but it takes me places the Sky can only dream about--That said, thats why I bought the Sky--BTW, I still own and will always own my big bad yellow hummer H2--Nothing like it. If you can't pay the gas tab, then buy all means, don't by the guzzler--It is tho, "my magic carpet ride"--Never driven, been in, nor have I EVER experienced another vehicle like it--It is absolutely one heck of a engineering feat--Thats why the Army uses it, thats why all armies would want it--incredible vehicle--Just like our Sky--:cool:

BTW I bought the Sky to save on fuel costs--Altho the H2 uses fuel, the Sky makes up for it in a small way--My way on saving on gas, so I can on occasion, drive my H2--But either way, as long as the oil flows, no matter the fuel costs, I will continue driving this wonderful truck--
MB
So glad you're doing your little bit for the environment (sarcastic)...now, I understand there are some places people drive that require the brute ability that an H2 offers, but living in LA...every time I see one of these things I get really upset...the car just screams at people...NOTICE ME...PLEASE NOTICE ME!!!! Check my sig...I may look like a clown, but I do care about the environment and I'm doing something about it.:jester:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
So glad you're doing your little bit for the environment (sarcastic)...now, I understand there are some places people drive that require the brute ability that an H2 offers, but living in LA...every time I see one of these things I get really upset...the car just screams at people...NOTICE ME...PLEASE NOTICE ME!!!! Check my sig...I may look like a clown, but I do care about the environment and I'm doing something about it.:jester:
I initially was going to blow off your reply, & perhaps I still should, but it "feels" like you insulted me, and I don't even know you, shame. Even so, I will reply with dignity, honor & like the gentleman I am.

Can't help if the H2 gives you that feeling, it was not why I bought it, and lord knows I get enough attention as it is without it. Around here H2's are a dime a dozen, does not even turn heads any more. I have received more attention and stares and comments driving my Sky than the H2 ever received. You'll see what I mean when you get yours. Can I assume you get the same anger when a Yukon XL, or an Excursion, or a Navigator or a Tahoe or a Full size van passes you or you pass them? How about those BIG deisel trucks?? Or is it just H2's?

I am as much a tree hugger as you are. Only I'm sure my views are not as extreme as yours. I am for "reasonable and prudent and humane Environmental" laws. I do not support any extreme view. For example I say drill for oil in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico, we have enough oil just sitting waiting to be "extracted". I can't help the bad decisions the oil companies, the federal government and YOUR government in your state & my state have created. But in your state, in particular, the area YOU live in, I can understand your anger. Just look to your sky & air on a hot summer day, I've seen that black, greyish, yellowish smog clogging up your skies, been there 100 times, never seems to go away even with your states heavy hand. So don't preach to me sir. We don't have "smog" here.

As for whether your a clown or not is irrelevant. I am glad you feel that tooling around on a 2-wheel suicide machine makes you "think" you are helping the enviorment, your certainly saving on gas. But I did that, done that, almost got killed 7 times down here on 2 wheels, no thanks, not for this old man any more. I have seen the way LA bikers ride, so we won't go there.

Finally to you I say, you need to "chill out" and enjoy your stay on this planet with an open mind. I do hope that you have a safe and good driving day & trully hope you get your Sky ASAP, you will be much safer in it, than what you are tooling around in now. Please try & have a wonderful day.

Regards
MB

·
Registered
637 Posts
I initially was going to blow off your reply, & perhaps I still should, but it "feels" like you insulted me, and I don't even know you, shame. Even so, I will reply with dignity, honor & like the gentleman I am.

Can't help if the H2 gives you that feeling, it was not why I bought it, and lord knows I get enough attention as it is without it. Around here H2's are a dime a dozen, does not even turn heads any more. I have received more attention and stares and comments driving my Sky than the H2 ever received. You'll see what I mean when you get yours. Can I assume you get the same anger when a Yukon XL, or an Excursion, or a Navigator or a Tahoe or a Full size van passes you or you pass them? How about those BIG deisel trucks?? Or is it just H2's?

I am as much a tree hugger as you are. Only I'm sure my views are not as extreme as yours. I am for "reasonable and prudent and humane Environmental" laws. I do not support any extreme view. For example I say drill for oil in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico, we have enough oil just sitting waiting to be "extracted". I can't help the bad decisions the oil companies, the federal government and YOUR government in your state & my state have created. But in your state, in particular, the area YOU live in, I can understand your anger. Just look to your sky & air on a hot summer day, I've seen that black, greyish, yellowish smog clogging up your skies, been there 100 times, never seems to go away even with your states heavy hand. So don't preach to me sir. We don't have "smog" here.

As for whether your a clown or not is irrelevant. I am glad you feel that tooling around on a 2-wheel suicide machine makes you "think" you are helping the enviorment, your certainly saving on gas. But I did that, done that, almost got killed 7 times down here on 2 wheels, no thanks, not for this old man any more. I have seen the way LA bikers ride, so we won't go there.

Finally to you I say, you need to "chill out" and enjoy your stay on this planet with an open mind. I do hope that you have a safe and good driving day & trully hope you get your Sky ASAP, you will be much safer in it, than what you are tooling around in now. Please try & have a wonderful day.

Regards
MB
One of the problems with electronic communications is that it's often difficult to pick up on underlying messages... I said that I understand that you use your H2 to get places you otherwise couldn't get to with other vehicles, so I wasn't clowning you so much as the dipXXXX's who drive them around town and never let them touch the dirt....like so many soccer moms in my town...and yes, I do feel the same about most of these ridiculous behemoths you mentioned above.
I've ridden motorcycles for years...I actually did stop riding when I got back to LA...there's way too many idiots on the road...and it's only gotten worse with the rise of cell phone use. But, with the rise in the price of gas and my unwillingness to pay more money to the greedy oil co's, I found it reasonable to get a scooter again. I only have to ride 10 miles each way, and it's along some beautiful coastline without much traffic. It's going to be beautiful having my Redline for that drive.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
One of the problems with electronic communications is that it's often difficult to pick up on underlying messages... I said that I understand that you use your H2 to get places you otherwise couldn't get to with other vehicles, so I wasn't clowning you so much as the dipXXXX's who drive them around town and never let them touch the dirt....like so many soccer moms in my town...and yes, I do feel the same about most of these ridiculous behemoths you mentioned above.
I've ridden motorcycles for years...I actually did stop riding when I got back to LA...there's way too many idiots on the road...and it's only gotten worse with the rise of cell phone use. But, with the rise in the price of gas and my unwillingness to pay more money to the greedy oil co's, I found it reasonable to get a scooter again. I only have to ride 10 miles each way, and it's along some beautiful coastline without much traffic. It's going to be beautiful having my Redline for that drive.:thumbs:
Ahh, I feel much better. Perhaps you and I WILL be friends, I like that. Yea I muddy her up once in awhile, and promply wash her off :D I totally agree about the "idiots" on the road when riding powered 2-wheelers, the biggest problem I had and what I heard the most was "I didn't see you"--In the mean time I had to take evasive action to avoid being creamed by a pick-up truck, on that one I ended up in a canal. The lady in a camaro deciding to hit her brakes at 65MPH for no reason, and finally, the out-of-town "drunk-driver" who cut me off, on that one I "almost rode around him", ended up hitting his left rear fender where I promply did a HUGE sommersalt ending up on the highway looking up at the Sky--I am grateful tho, I am even a better "defensive driver" than I ever was. Riding 2-wheels taught me to be more worried about the "other drivers" than my ability.
You have a GREAT day, & I am glad we ahh cleared the air--:D
PS: your right about this electronic method we are using, reading bwt the lines can be difficult at times, thats why I try to be as clear as possible where there will be no mis-understanding, pls except my apoligies--:)

·
Registered
351 Posts

Hey...I ride a scoot:D

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts

Hey...I ride a scoot:D
Hey I already apoligized once, ahh schucks ok, as an -ex-biker I apoligize agin--:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back on topic

I called my dealer to set my 5K service appointment and mentioned that I need one splash guard replaced. I was patched through to the parts dept. to make sure they had the left front one available. Imagine my surprise when the parts guy said that the splash guards only come as a set :eek: .

My service guy and I will have a chat when I bring in the 'Batmobile' for service. I'm sure that we can come to an understanding :thumbs:

:D

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now let's bust the bubble

Short drives (less than 3 miles) in my Sky result in very poor gas mileage (less than 15mpg)
Long drives on Freeway over 50 miles give about 21mpg..
Not very good for a small roadster (although it is automatic). Average speed 15mph
Can and will the Redline give any better performance (In LA area)? It seems to me that the right foot will be a lot closer to the floor just because it is a R/L. It seems the R/L and the Hummer are on a pretty much equal footing when it comes to gas mileage (in my book). I hope someone down the line will prove me wrong as I am setting my sights on a R/L also. Hey! How about a Sky/Hybrid? They could call it the SkyHi

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been getting close to 21.5 around town on my daily commute. I've gotten a high of 31.4 on one segment of a trip in the Sierras and averaged 24+ on our jaunt to Mammoth and back. Granted I have not lead footed it but I did not baby it either. JM2C

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
On current tank of gas (about 1/2 now)
21.9 ave. mpg
27 ave. mph

As you can see I'm not setting any land speed records (it is stoplights that kill me) but almost 22 mpg isn't too bad.

Over the weekend (last gas up)
27.5 AMPG
44 AMPH

At higher speed (open road, not expway) the mileage jumps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts