Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here.

I currently have a '95 SL2 (purchased new by me) with well over 100K. Dead reliable. I still like the car ( I put a very nice stereo in it to cover the rattles... :D ) but as always I have considered it basic transportation, my true love being motorcycles. But as I am now in the midst of a mid-life crisis :p I find myself wanting some really nice basic transportation. I have been seriously considering an '05 Mustang GT. I've never owned a Ford and am leary but that car is very nice and tons-o-horsepower should be fun. Then, I "discovered" the Sky. This car is so beautiful it literally put the Mustang idea on hold. My bikes are so incredibly fast I really don't need a fast car but I love the V8 sound. Then again, the Sky is amazing...and it's a Saturn??? Is it strange that the only two cars I am drawn to at the moment are so very different?

·
Registered
51 Posts
SpeedTriple said:
...I have been seriously considering an '05 Mustang GT. I've never owned a Ford and am leary but that car is very nice and tons-o-horsepower should be fun. Then, I "discovered" the Sky. This car is so beautiful it literally put the Mustang idea on hold. My bikes are so incredibly fast I really don't need a fast car but I love the V8 sound. Then again, the Sky is amazing...and it's a Saturn??? Is it strange that the only two cars I am drawn to at the moment are so very different?
Hey SpeedTriple, welcome to the forum! I think your "problem" is totally normal. :D And in a way the Sky & Mustang aren't all that different... they're both meant to evoke strong emotions in people.

I used to be a Mustang-basher until I drove a prev-gen 5-spd Mustang GT... that glorious V8 thrust & engine note made me feel like a giddy child (and proved to me that you shouldn't bash a car unless you've driven it). One word sums up that driving experience: FUN. And if the new Mustang is at a whole new level like everyone's saying then I can't imagine how entertaining it would be to drive! All indications are suggesting the Sky will be really fun to drive too.

I guess your predicament is a good one to have. :) Good luck with your decision, keep us updated!

·
Registered
138 Posts
welcome speedtriple,

I've been a fan of the Mustang since the 60's. They are both beautiful cars. Mustang will give you better functionality for every day use (bigger trunk, back seat etc.) but go with your gut. One thing is there won't be as many Skys on the road compared to Mustangs so if you want something different... :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Adjusted Market Value"

Thanks for the welcome. I guess it is a "nice " dilemma trying to figure out which new car to buy! I figured Saturn was on the way out for sure but with something like this and the Aura I think the future is much brighter. I'm going to wait until I actually see one before buying anything else (i.e. Mustang). Maybe the Atlanta show?

One thing that has turned me off of the Mustang...there is much demand for it right now and the dealers are taking advantage of it big time. $3K-$5K markups? That's crazy. I expect there will be great demand for the Sky as well, certainly greater demand than anything Saturn has ever sold. Does anybody care to speculate if Saturn will stay true to their roots as far as customer service or would you expect to have to bend over :eek: like at the Ford dealers?

·
Registered
138 Posts
SpeedTriple said:
Does anybody care to speculate if Saturn will stay true to their roots as far as customer service or would you expect to have to bend over :eek: like at the Ford dealers?
They have been crowing about the superior customer service remaining the same at the "new Saturn". Hopefully the no-haggle thing will also be part of that model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
SpeedTriple said:
First post here.

I currently have a '95 SL2 (purchased new by me) with well over 100K. Dead reliable. I still like the car ( I put a very nice stereo in it to cover the rattles... :D ) but as always I have considered it basic transportation, my true love being motorcycles. But as I am now in the midst of a mid-life crisis :p I find myself wanting some really nice basic transportation. I have been seriously considering an '05 Mustang GT. I've never owned a Ford and am leary but that car is very nice and tons-o-horsepower should be fun. Then, I "discovered" the Sky. This car is so beautiful it literally put the Mustang idea on hold. My bikes are so incredibly fast I really don't need a fast car but I love the V8 sound. Then again, the Sky is amazing...and it's a Saturn??? Is it strange that the only two cars I am drawn to at the moment are so very different?

welcome!!

it's really funny that you say that because i've been having the same dilemma for a couple months now.

i've always been a mustang person - loved muscle cars and used to LOVE working on and cruising in my best friend's '99 GT vert (5 speed). we had that thing sounding and driving AWESOME through lots of mods...the exhaust note was one of my favourite things. :)

so, last fall i went to their ford dealership when they got the 05 in and took it out for a spin and WOW!! it's so much more refined, and more powerful then the last - the looks are fantastic and the interior is much nicer and higher quality. i was hooked. i asked around about the value of my current car and even with the hookups i had through them at the dealerhip (they own it!) i just couldn't afford to swing it. the problem is, i can afford the car, but i know i'd never be happy with a stock mustang. i had a list about a mile long of mods that i wanted to do to make it my own, unique and super cool stang.

then i found the sky. for once, i found a car that i would be PERFECTLY happy driving at *close* to, if not, stock. 18" rims, bilstein c/o's, lsd, 5 speed short throw etc etc...and it looks KILLER. i'm planning to wait for the redline whenever that comes around, and i can't say that i'll leave a forced induction engine totally stock, but still. the other problem with the stang is what body style to get. for my 'vision', it'd need to be a coupe. plus, a coupe is more performance oriented which appeals to the gear-head in me. but on the other hand, i've always love convertibles and i know on a sunny day in a mustang, i'd wish i had a 'vert. with the sky, the decision is made for me. :)

so...as others said, go with your gut. i'm going to have to see what happens when the solstice comes out as i imagine it will behave very similarily to the sky. then maybe i'll finally make a decision....!

kris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts