Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
It is interesting, but commercial electrification of a Kappa has already been tried, and wasn't particularly successful.

The Kappa is really not a very good candidate if you want any kind of decent range. The chassis is heavy and un-aerodynamic, and the wide tires are not conducive to good mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, I was just throwing it out there... in a few years it might be worth it once the range increases... Our Kappas will stil look good.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm still in the very early stages of figuring Tesla vs. ICE and it's pollution rate, and will post my findings as soon as I verify all sources of information...

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
I think your data is flawed, and 1250 kWh is way too much for 22 miles. Where did you get that number?
At that rate it would cost $3.41 per mile to drive a Tesla, and that isn't even reasonable.

Based on charger data, it takes approximately 2.4 kWh of utility power to propel a Tesla 1 mile, or about 2.4 * 0.06 = $0.14 per mile.
This equates to gasoline a $3.00 / gal and 22 MPG, which makes sense to me.

At the US average for electrical generation, the Tesla will cause 22 * 2.4 * 1.13 = 60 lb of CO2 vs 20 lb for gasoline in 22 miles.
Granted it is still more, but not a ridiculously more as your calculations show.

This comparison is still too limited however, as carbon footprint is not the only issue. IC engines generate more than CO2.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think your data is flawed, and 1250 kWh is way too much for 22 miles. Where did you get that number?
At that rate it would cost $3.41 per mile to drive a Tesla, and that isn't even reasonable.

Based on charger data, it takes approximately 2.4 kWh of utility power to propel a Tesla 1 mile, or about 2.4 * 0.06 = $0.14 per mile.
This equates to gasoline a $3.00 / gal and 22 MPG, which makes sense to me.

At the US average for electrical generation, the Tesla will cause 22 * 2.4 * 1.13 = 60 lb of CO2 vs 20 lb for gasoline in 22 miles.
Granted it is still more, but not a ridiculously more as your calculations show.

This comparison is still too limited however, as carbon footprint is not the only issue. IC engines generate more than CO2.
You're correct....I have to find my source and it's at work.... Won't be back there till a week from Monday....until then I've removed it..

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Model 3 is 26 kWh/100 miles or .26 kWh / mile.

EV's are just down right more fun to drive, better performance. Some but not many anymore buy EV's because they are green, most buy them now cause they are fun and have great performance.

Until I drove a Model s in Ludicrous mode, I never knew 2 things.
1) As a driver you can car sick.
2) A car can have more acceleration then you want to use.

And if you want to go the Carbon side, who's to say where the Electricity comes from what's the carbon footprint of a solar panel, or Nuke power, or Hydro power or...

Anyhow, If your gone figure out the carbon footprint.. figure the EV will go through tires a lot faster from burnouts, and aggressive driving lol..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Model 3 is 26 kWh/100 miles or .26 kWh / mile.

EV's are just down right more fun to drive, better performance. Some but not many anymore buy EV's because they are green, most buy them now cause they are fun and have great performance.

Until I drove a Model s in Ludicrous mode, I never knew 2 things.
1) As a driver you can car sick.
2) A car can have more acceleration then you want to use.

And if you want to go the Carbon side, who's to say where the Electricity comes from what's the carbon footprint of a solar panel, or Nuke power, or Hydro power or...

Anyhow, If your gone figure out the carbon footprint.. figure the EV will go through tires a lot faster from burnouts, and aggressive driving lol..
Then you can go on and investigate the environmental footprint of mining lithium for batteries. Nearly all of the lithium production is in countries far, far away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts