Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not see why when I pick a topic that states a post "2 hrs" ago and I go there and the most recent post is 5 years old. Go back to something that works, for god sake.

·
Registered
17,415 Posts
I can not see why when I pick a topic that states a post "2 hrs" ago and I go there and the most recent post is 5 years old. Go back to something that works, for god sake.
I AGREE! And let me speak for most of us....this site/program is a DEBACLE.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, a debacle is repairable this isnt. Who got the kickback for the switch?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
No, a debacle is repairable this isnt. Who got the kickback for the switch?
Who owns SkyRoadster.com?
SkyRoadster.com is now owned by VerticalScope, the leader in online forums. With over 800 forum communities, VerticalScope provides the technology that powers the community. Our team of volunteer moderators and administrators watch over the content, and actively patrol for spam, user behavioural issues, and make sure threads are in the right categories.
All these forum communities have been or are being converted to this software. So the question should rightly be, "Who got the kickback for for 800 switches?"

We're talking some pretty large business here.

Just a little "for what it's worth".

:thumbs:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The older I get the more I hate change. I am however old enough to remember typing letters on a typewriter, putting them in the mail and waiting a week or so for my letter or contract to arrive at its destination. Then we got that new fangled machine in my office called a fax. Wow what an innovation! My first IBM computer weighed as much as a boat anchor and came with this fancy dot matrix printer. Then came pagers, scanners, the internet and cell phones. So yea I hate change but eventually I get used to it and wonder how my life existed without the new devices and programs that our youth with their innovative minds are designing for us. The old forum had some glitches and so does this one, but for me I can see that this is going to be a great improvement that in time we will wonder how we navigated this site without it. I'm 65 and until this covid19 came around, I worked in a big, fast paced office for a large corporation. We have all been forced to retreat from that office which I've worked in for the last 35 years, and for the last 8 weeks work from our homes. I thank god every day that even though I hate change, I was still interested enough and receptive enough to learn new things, new programs and new technology. I now sit at my kitchen table, with a headset in my ear typing on a 1 pound laptop and holding skype meetings with my employees. We certainly have come a long way!
Give the new forum a chance!

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
I just click the new button. See everything that is important and current. Also it is much better in dark mode. We all have to adapt to change, and I get what you guys are saying, but almost every site that I go to now, uses this format. It isn't going back any time soon, I feel confident in saying that. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
Can you identify the thread that did this? And where it was listed?

I have had old threads pop up, but there has always been a new post as the end, so I'm curious about how this happened to you.

The older I get the more I hate change. ......... Give the new forum a chance!
I started a response, but saw this posted before I got it finished. You said it better than I was going to.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Also after clicking the "NEW" button in the upper right corner, on the next page, there are a couple of greyed rectangle buttons on the left a bit more than halfway down. One is "FILTER" and the other is "MARK ALL READ". If you are done perusing you can click the "All Read" and the next time you come on there won't be anything but brand new posts show after you click the "NEW" button.

EDIT: You may have to scroll down to see the newest post.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The new software has UI / privacy / security issues, and they are ignored or take eons to get fixed by the coding team.
But it is way better than the old outdated / even more unsecure / buggy / programmed for desktop PCs old forum.

All in all I am very happy with the new software, especially when visiting by phone.

Keep up the good work moderators , admins & coders !

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
My biggest gripe is that there used to be a static URL that showed all threads in order from most recently updated. That URL is now dynamic and filters out 'read' threads by default. I don't want the latter. Just show me the threads, all of them, starting with most recent update.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry, but the new format is awful. Even my Charger forums went to this awful format/software. But I'm only there when I need something. I've asked for all the old emojis to be brought back as well....but, it's been in vein. :deadhorse: oh wait...that doesn't work...forgot. I've actually started using the Facebook pages instead...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yeah a few of the other forums that I'm on have gone to this new software and it's not the easiest to use. I still get frustrated with it and I'm on here more than I should be. :rolleyes:

The only Kappa forum that hasn't "upgraded" is the one that is owned by an individual and not by a big corporation in Canada and that's KappaPerformance.

Damn those Canadians! :p

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
My biggest gripe is that there used to be a static URL that showed all threads in order from most recently updated. That URL is now dynamic and filters out 'read' threads by default. I don't want the latter. Just show me the threads, all of them, starting with most recent update.
Doesn't the "Popular" tab do this?

Capture.JPG

"Popular" is right under the "New" in the "What's New" header.
Capture1.JPG

·
Registered
121 Posts
deleted

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
"Popular" is right under the "New" in the "What's New" header.
That seems to do it. It's not at all what I would think of as "Popular"...which would be threads with many views/posts.

Thank you.

·
Registered
17,415 Posts
The fact that we are speaking out regarding this program (several threads) indicates just how poorly designed it is. Back to the Future, PLEASE!

This has nothing to do with age or technology...it has to do with USER FRIENDLY (NOT)

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
That seems to do it. It's not at all what I would think of as "Popular"...which would be threads with many views/posts.

Thank you.
I agree that it is not obvious, but I assume that it makes sense to someone, somewhere, in some language. or maybe not.

You're welcome.

The fact that we are speaking out regarding this program (several threads) indicates just how poorly designed it is. Back to the Future, PLEASE!

This has nothing to do with age or technology...it has to do with USER FRIENDLY (NOT)
I disagree. I find the new format better, to the point that I got impatient after the Solstice forum changed and this one hadn't.
It took me a while to get over my initial dislike of change, any change, but once i accepted the reality I decided that most actually worked better, if not always the way i thought they would.

The bottom line here is that we aren't likely to go back, and I for one would not want to. Now, if we could only go back to XP, that would be a whole different matter!.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Anyone that thinks newer is always better never had to deal with Windows 8! Stupid balky system designed for tablets and left many PC owners going WTF?

I loved Windows 7 (XP used to crash too often and was slow) and I still have an old office computer happily running it, although I have had to convert to 10 for any new computers. Heck, I still have one old computer running XP since I have software that won't run on anything more recent and there is no way to transfer data to newer programs without huge time investment. I can live with 10, but I still don't like it as much as I did 7.

Some of my clients were software geeks. They, like all of their ilk, would get bored and want to change things just for change sake or because they thought it was 'neat' even of it didn't result in any faster operation nor increased stability. OK up to a point, but it almost always resulted in user frustration. I always argued with them that they shouldn't have manuals written by the guys that created the system as everything sees simple to them. They needed to sit someone down who had no background with the software and watch where they went wrong and then write the manual to avoid that.

Unfortunately we are the unwilling Beta testers for any new forum software, and I can't see that situation ever changing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts