Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of dealerships for the Solstice are puttin in 87 Octain unless you tell them make sure it's 91 or better. Only because it says you can run on 87.

But make sure you dealer puts in the 91 or 93 octain. when filling for your delivery. Alot of people forget to tell the dealers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
VERY GOOD TIP I'm putting togeather a list of "do not do's" and emailing it to my rep....this will be right at the top along with "x-ney on the front plate-nay....".:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Any particular reason? If the engine is designed to run on 87 octane then that is the best for it. It's an urban myth that you get better performance on higher octane. You infact get lower gas milage because the fuel does not reach the expected compression before ignition.

Is there something on the SKY where it was designed for 91 but they "say" it can take 87?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any particular reason? If the engine is designed to run on 87 octane then that is the best for it. It's an urban myth that you get better performance on higher octane. You infact get lower gas milage because the fuel does not reach the expected compression before ignition.

Is there something on the SKY where it was designed for 91 but they "say" it can take 87?
You get better performance and HP and gas milleage with the higher octain. They recomend 91 or 93 but say it can run on 87. But they say it takes like 3/4 tankfull to re-set the program. It's in the manual if you read it.

It's designed for 91 or 93 but can run on 87.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Same with the Redline. It's designed for max performance with 91+ octane, but you can use 87 at a performance loss. I'm guessing a much more noticeable one then the base engine.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Alot of dealerships for the Solstice are puttin in 87 Octain unless you tell them make sure it's 91 or better. Only because it says you can run on 87.

But make sure you dealer puts in the 91 or 93 octain. when filling for your delivery. Alot of people forget to tell the dealers.

Thanks for mentioning that, I already told my Dealer I wanted 91.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Same with the Redline. It's designed for max performance with 91+ octane, but you can use 87 at a performance loss. I'm guessing a much more noticeable one then the base engine.
Maybe some of these reviewers were using 87 when they ran the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I still get people telling me that you should run the lowest octane you can in your car, as long as it doesn't knock. I had this conversation with my father just yesterday in fact. I asked him wont the knock damage the engine? Pre-ignition? He said no... the computer will retard the timing to prevent that.

So if the timing is retarded, wont the knock go away? Thus the old arguement that you can run the lowest octane that doesnt knock is no longer valid since basically all modern cars retard the timing with the knock sensor. And you cant tell me that a retarded timing isnt causing you to lose power and performance. He agreed with my logic.

I then said that with the difference in price of gas grades only being 10 or 20 cents... in a 12 gallon fill up you are only talking a buck or two... a good investment to get better performance if I must say.

I always put the best in. It may be a waste of money in some ways, but it is certainly not hurting the car. And it makes me feel better, which is certainly worth a couple bucks a week to me. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still get people telling me that you should run the lowest octane you can in your car, as long as it doesn't knock. I had this conversation with my father just yesterday in fact. I asked him wont the knock damage the engine? Pre-ignition? He said no... the computer will retard the timing to prevent that.

So if the timing is retarded, wont the knock go away? Thus the old arguement that you can run the lowest octane that doesnt knock is no longer valid since basically all modern cars retard the timing with the knock sensor. And you cant tell me that a retarded timing isnt causing you to lose power and performance. He agreed with my logic.

I then said that with the difference in price of gas grades only being 10 or 20 cents... in a 12 gallon fill up you are only talking a buck or two... a good investment to get better performance if I must say.

I always put the best in. It may be a waste of money in some ways, but it is certainly not hurting the car. And it makes me feel better, which is certainly worth a couple bucks a week to me. :thumbs:
Your dad is from the old school. If with 87 it doesn't knock then it's ok. But not if you want the best gas milage and performance. Your doing the right thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts