Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the throttle body on the 2.4 in the Sky and Solstice are the same as the one in the 2.4 Ion? I found a replacement Large bore throttle body for the 2.4 in the ION and wondered if it may fit ours...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure but that would be nice to know... More air flow more hp would really make a different for the R/L if anyone is going to up the boost on it! I guess it would be nice to have for the standard Sky also for a bigger CIA pipe.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are the Same

I found out from the parts guy at our dealership that the ION and Sky with the 2.4 engine has the same Throttle body.... soooo It looks like the Large bore Throttle body will also fit the Sky.. I wonder if I can contact this company and see if they want to be a supporting vendor for the forum....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what kind of gains could one expect from a larger throttle body? and what do they cost?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
usmc said:
what kind of gains could one expect from a larger throttle body? and what do they cost?
it is 173 dollars after the core charge refund of 150 dollars... so it isn't bad.. , i would guess it could give you as much as a 15 to 20 HP gain, and that is good for that kind of money, the CAI will fit right up to it since only the inner bore is enlarged along with a larger butterfly probably giving another 10 hp...so you are talking with both taking it to over 200 HP....
the outside measurements will remain the same.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
it is 173 dollars after the core charge refund of 150 dollars... so it isn't bad.. , i would guess it could give you as much as a 15 to 20 HP gain, and that is good for that kind of money, the CAI will fit right up to it since only the inner bore is enlarged along with a larger butterfly probably giving another 10 hp...so you are talking with both taking it to over 200 HP....
the outside measurements will remain the same.
15-20hp for 173.00!!!! That sounds like alot. If thats the case, I wonder why noone has done it yet?

up to now, it would take 400-800 to get that kind of gain using bolt ons (cai,headers,exhaust..)

so those are the pros, are there any cons to adding a bigger throttle body?

cause at those prices and those gains, I would order one today.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
usmc said:
15-20hp for 173.00!!!! That sounds like alot. If thats the case, I wonder why noone has done it yet?

up to now, it would take 400-800 to get that kind of gain using bolt ons (cai,headers,exhaust..)

so those are the pros, are there any cons to adding a bigger throttle body?

cause at those prices and those gains, I would order one today.
more air+more gas=more horsepower.... I was just guessing based on what I have heard with other cars and a larger bore throttle body. I really don't know how much larger it is... but still if you only get 10 with it and then 10 with a CAI (isn't that what they claim??) you would almost have 200HP and wouldn't that be great......

I am not sure once the computer learns the new airflow charateristics if there would be any downside, other than using more gas... should be the same as a CAI...

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
Again, this is coming from my Grand Prix experiance. We swap out our stock throttle bodies out for larger ones off the Northstar V8s. We also run larger LQ4 MAFs as well.

For us, the larger throttle bodies (TB) do two things. First, they bolster performance a bit. The big gain is in throttle response...it is much crisper with a larger throttle body. Second is knock. The better flow from the Northstar TB helps kill knock in our cars. Now, we're boosted so that is a big thing for us whereas the Sky's Normally Aspirated (NA) motor is far less prone to knock.

It should boost power a bit...enough that I would try one. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skyflier said:
This is probably too good to be true. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this HP chip?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTI...ewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQitemZ8070140465QQrdZ1

:confused: :confused:
Sounds like it is just a resistor that goes into the temperature sensor to fool the computer into thinking the temperature is lower than it is so it increases the ammount of gas to the engine, all that is going to do is use more gas and foul the spark plugs... It is no good, don't buy it...

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
Oh lord not THAT thing again.

It COULD work, but it won't.

First, there is a table in the ECM (if it is similar to the Grand Prix) called Air Temp Spark. This tablem modifies the commanded timing based on incoming air temperature. Now, here's the thing. Stock, this table will only take timing AWAY if the temperature is too hot. IT WILL NOT ADD TIMING no matter how "cold" it is. It does this (on the GP) to limit Knock. Hot air = greater chances for knock on a forced induction (turbo or super charged) application. To use this resistor you would need to go in and modify that table to add timing at whatever temperature range that resistor "fools" the ECM into seeing.

Now, unless you have the ability to do that it isn't going to work since all it will do is not pull timing under high heat conditions.

With the GPs...and this is something that I'm sure COULD be done on the Skys, we have what we call a Happy Knob. Basically it is the same thing as this resistor but it has different settings. We then go into our PCMs and modify the Air Temp Spark Table at those temp settings to add timing when the PCM "sees" that air temp. Now, we scan so that way we know when we've gone to far so for the Grand Prix, it works. You'd blow up your Sky if you did this without the ability to scan and see how it was affecting the car.

I'll have to look at the Sky's MAF/IAT sensors to see how they are layed out and see if something like this can be added to them. I'm sure Vector could change the Air Temp Spark Table to be able to use this feature.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
HP for TB

You would be lucky if you got 3 to 4 HP from the throttle body. Before you spend your money on it, I have a place for you to call PM me for info....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Which CAI?

I would like to know more about the Kappa CAI verses the GM option.
Which one do you guys suggest? Your wealth of knowledge is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Kappa

I have the Kappa installed with shorty headers and it makes my SKY 100 % diffrent, the power change is 10 to 15 % I will add a cat back and reprograme the ECM before I get it Dynoed...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thank you. Can I add the Kappa without making other alterations and still expect some improvement on performance?

·
Registered
358 Posts
thank you for the suggestions much appreciated. I wasn't sure if there were other requirements for the CAI to do it's thing on a stand alone basis, though I'm sure once all is properly installed and tweaked it'll be a sweet ride. I am planning on doing things but probably at a slower pace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts