Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is the first time I've noticed this, but I was braking as I went over a decent sized bump in the road, and as my front tires depressed, I felt a clank on the brake pedal. There was also a noise like a steel pipe being rolled across pavement. It only lasted a split second, but it was definitely not something I'm accustomed to in other cars. Anyone have any clues what this could have been?

FYI, the bump didn't seem that big at all. I go over it 5 days a week. I've either never braked while driving over it, or never braked that hard, or the recent rains made it a sink hole.

·
Registered
248 Posts
see my post about clunking noise it may be similar.

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
A couple of thoughts here. Braking hard will compress the front suspension, and if already going over a bump, it could be enough to bottom the suspension (less likely) or cause the chassis to hit the raised bump (more likely). The impact/scraping of steel on asphalt would sound something like a pipe doing the same thing. The front tire(s) would then be unloaded, and the ABS could activate, which would cause some pulsation in the brake pedal. Also, when hard on the brakes, any chassis impact will feel like it is coming through the brake pedal, since that is the point of most solid contact between your body and the car.

I suggest finding a nice isolated area with a smooth surface and try a couple of hard braking tests. If you hear clanking, feel anything abnormal, get it checked. I may just do this myself, I haven't tested the ABS yet. Hmm maybe a little skid-pad testing at the same time ?? Could be a fun morning after all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts