Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had this problem. A loud thumping sound as I go over bumps. Sounds like a broken strut or something loose banging around. I took it to the dealer and he said he cant find anything loose. We took it for a test ride and he admitted he hears it but he checked the under carriage and found nothing loose. I thought it might be the strut or the sway bar loose banging around but Im cluesless right now. It s been getting louder and occassionally happens when I hit the brakes hard. I also have heard a pop sound on occassion when I turn the wheel full left.

·
Registered
35 Posts
migg750 said:
Wondering if anyone has had this problem. A loud thumping sound as I go over bumps. Sounds like a broken strut or something loose banging around. I took it to the dealer and he said he cant find anything loose. We took it for a test ride and he admitted he hears it but he checked the under carriage and found nothing loose. I thought it might be the strut or the sway bar loose banging around but Im cluesless right now. It s been getting louder and occassionally happens when I hit the brakes hard. I also have heard a pop sound on occassion when I turn the wheel full left.
Yes I have some of this also going over bumps. Its like some thing is banging.
I have narrowed it down to the top. When the top is up I don't get the noise over bumps, when the top is down and in the trunk I get the banging. Its almost like the top is loose enough in the trunk to move up and down.
I haven't had the time to try a tie down to see if it goes away.
Cheers
OAKVILLESKY

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oakvillesky said:
Yes I have some of this also going over bumps. Its like some thing is banging.
I have narrowed it down to the top. When the top is up I don't get the noise over bumps, when the top is down and in the trunk I get the banging. Its almost like the top is loose enough in the trunk to move up and down.
I haven't had the time to try a tie down to see if it goes away.
Cheers
OAKVILLESKY

Now I thought that too but both me and the mechanic heard it while the top was up. Its for sure that its coming from the front drivers side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have speed bumps in the neighborhoods here and I sometimes hear that thump you are talking about. At first I thought it was the top but it isn't. It could be one of the suspension bump stops or something like that. I haven't talked to my dealer about it yet.

Jim

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Do you have someone locked in the basement of your SKY?? :jester:

No bumps or thumps here

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you've found my ex-wife in the trunk, keep on driving...... ooops, there's not enough room for that.:) :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Check to see if your front fender wells are rubbing the underside of your hood. You might be hearing them connect.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brentil said:
Check to see if your front fender wells are rubbing the underside of your hood. You might be hearing them connect.
WELL U ARE THE MAN!! Looks like that was partially the problem. I did some investigation myself and found that the reservoir for the wiper fluid had play in the bracket attachment and was making noise. I mentioned to the dealer that they should check the fender wells as well and low and behold there was a scuff mark on the plastic and the paint on the hood had worn away. So they are checking that as well and are going to touch up the damage. I also noted to the dealer that the computer brain or I think its that on the drivers side near the firewall was also a bit loose and should be checked out. Hopefully when i take her out for the test drive she wont rattle any more. Lets see!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
DSqr said:
If you've found my ex-wife in the trunk, keep on driving...... ooops, there's not enough room for that.:) :)
Well, there's enough room if you get creative. But don't go renting that wood chipper anytime soon. People might get suspicious. :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
MyMidnightSky said:
Well, there's enough room if you get creative. But don't go renting that wood chipper anytime soon. People might get suspicious. :D
Shoot..... i better get my deposit back then....... i have lots of uses.... AHHH..... i have lots of TREES to trim?:nono: cut down?..:nono: get rid of?...:nono: OOOPSY.... just kidding..:lol: .... and.... .. ahhhh... HAVE A GREAT DAY.:D ....SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
migg750 said:
WELL U ARE THE MAN!! Looks like that was partially the problem. I did some investigation myself and found that the reservoir for the wiper fluid had play in the bracket attachment and was making noise. I mentioned to the dealer that they should check the fender wells as well and low and behold there was a scuff mark on the plastic and the paint on the hood had worn away. So they are checking that as well and are going to touch up the damage. I also noted to the dealer that the computer brain or I think its that on the drivers side near the firewall was also a bit loose and should be checked out. Hopefully when i take her out for the test drive she wont rattle any more. Lets see!!!
Thank you all for diagnosing this... i thought it was my pea size brain rattling.... anyway..... i did find a bracket on the windshield washer container loose.. and........ there is still a slight bumping.. but, when i drop her off on monday night..... i will mention it and ask them to look ...... TY TY TY..SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
12 Posts
Noises

I've heard the thumping sound and when I took it to the dealer my front shock was bad. The dealer claims some of the sounds I hear are a result of the bad shock. I hope he is right. I too have a rattle in the dash on the drivers side, although its hard to pinpoint. The dealer called it a "churping" type sound. Hasn't been located yet due to the new shock not being in stock and installed yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
George said:
I've heard the thumping sound and when I took it to the dealer my front shock was bad. The dealer claims some of the sounds I hear are a result of the bad shock. I hope he is right. I too have a rattle in the dash on the drivers side, although its hard to pinpoint. The dealer called it a "churping" type sound. Hasn't been located yet due to the new shock not being in stock and installed yet.
Yeah I have the same noise. For a while the noise went away and I have tightened everything that might be loose. I even took electrical tape and strapped stuff down. STILL HAVE THE DAMN NOISE. Two seperate noises. One is from the dash on the drivers side. Might be a bad shock dealer is clueless. The other is that damn transmission that sounds like some one forgot a screwdriver inside of it

·
Registered
12 Posts
migg750 said:
I heard the same thing and it was a bad shock, left front. Good luck on trying to get one. The dealer can't find one so I've called Saturn's customer service to see if they can help. The dealer tells me its okay to drive without a good shock but I am not sure I believe that. It can't help the wear on the tires or the suspension.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I heard the same thing and it was a bad shock, left front. Good luck on trying to get one. The dealer can't find one so I've called Saturn's customer service to see if they can help. The dealer tells me its okay to drive without a good shock but I am not sure I believe that. It can't help the wear on the tires or the suspension.
Hey Gang, any updates on this topic? I have the 'clunk' noise over moderate or broken pavement. Seems to do it most after the car has been sitting for a while. I seem to notice it most on a right hand turn and there is also a distinct ticking noise when making a hard right (say into a parking spot) the ticking slows and stops with the turn of the wheel. Of course, dealer can't replicate the noise. I only have about 2000 miles left on my warranty.

Thanks!
skycoop

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My dealer found that ...

... that the front hood stops needed to be adjusted. The front hood was not firmly being held by the rubber stops. Therefore as I drove over a speed bump or into a pot hole, the hood would rise and then fall back down on the rubber stops. A few turns to raise the stops and now the hood remains held in place. :cheers:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I saw this post. I'm hearing a dull clunking sound coming from my drivers side. I thought maybe something had come loose behind the instrument panel. I'm going to check all of the above before asking the dealer as my warrenty has run out. I remember reading someone's post about something that had come loose behind the instrument panel. I just hope my problem is as simple as the washer fluid bracket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts