Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARGH!
So after having these quarantined days to calmly and patiently change my water pump (used the special tool and it was ALL difficult, but also went smoothly), I got the dreaded Water Pump Whine. I read that even a micro-movement could set this off, which I'm guessing might've happened either while loosening, or tightening.

So after reading up a bit, it looks as though I'll need to reset the timing chain tensioner.

Has anyone here done this? Could you shed some light on this next repair?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did it - the process is fairly straightforward. You will need snap ring pliers and I highly recommend a C clamp (with cloth or towel as not to have metal to metal contact)

Once the tensioner is extended, you pop the snap ring off and it all comes apart. You will see how it all comes together. Reassembly is effectively the reverse of disassembly, but it can be very tricky to rotate the tension plunger while under considerable spring pressure. This is where the clamp comes in -- make sure it is secure before tightening of course, but it will make your life a lot easier. I believe the manual calls for a vice.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply! For some reason Tapatalk didn’t notify me.

The vid you linked is the tensioner that’s above the water pump, correct?

I thought that it was the one closer to the center that needed to be reset (the one from this vid-
)

There’s something about removing the front cover that gives me the heebeegeebee’s, but tomorrow I begin to disassemble. I’ll remove the fender liners (because they need to be replaced anyhow) and radiator fan.

I did it - the process is fairly straightforward. You will need snap ring pliers and I highly recommend a C clamp (with cloth or towel as not to have metal to metal contact)

Once the tensioner is extended, you pop the snap ring off and it all comes apart. You will see how it all comes together. Reassembly is effectively the reverse of disassembly, but it can be very tricky to rotate the tension plunger while under considerable spring pressure. This is where the clamp comes in -- make sure it is secure before tightening of course, but it will make your life a lot easier. I believe the manual calls for a vice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thx for the reply! For some reason Tapatalk didn’t notify me.

The vid you linked is the tensioner that’s above the water pump, correct?

I thought that it was the one closer to the center that needed to be reset (the one from this vid-
)

There’s something about removing the front cover that gives me the heebeegeebee’s, but tomorrow I begin to disassemble. I’ll remove the fender liners (because they need to be replaced anyhow) and radiator fan.
Sorry that is for the timing chain not balance shaft tensioner. Balance shaft tensioner I believe can be set with a cotter pin type hold.

This guide has the full procedure

·
Registered
234 Posts
The one you want to relax is the tensioner just above the water pump access panel on the front cover.
This is an extremely simple job. About 30 seconds...minus the disassembly and reassembly of the front cover itself.

Remove the radiator fan, belts, belt tensioners, and crank. No need to remove valve cover or any upper wiring for this job.
Remove the front cover. You will see the tensioner that you need just next to where that access panel was, there will be no give in the chain at all.
It has 2 small bolts. Remove them and pull it out. Push on the end, it will give about a quarter inch(maybe less). Now turn the end 90 degrees. Itll press all the way in.

Reinstall it. Test that the chain is tight, but this piece will still flex after reinstall. Put everything back on, and the whine will be gone.

I just went through this last week and was about to do a full write up as it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts