Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was at SOV, one of the salesman showed me a trick to closing the turnk. If you open the storage compartment between the seats it is supposed to let air excape out of the trunk making it easier to close.

I guess it would not work so good if you had papers in the compartment though! :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is the storage compartment between the upper seatbacks or lower part of the seat like a regular console? How big is it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I will try that today, but that seems a little silly. First doors must be closed when you close the hood, now open the storage door to close the truck. Next, will I have to scratch my head 3 times before I turn the ignition?:lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
I will try that today, but that seems a little silly. First doors must be closed when you close the hood, now open the storage door to close the truck. Next, will I have to scratch my head 3 times before I turn the ignition?:lol:
He is talking about closing the TRUNK.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, I know. There are other warnings on the car that you MUST have the doors closed when you close the hood or it will take some paint of the doors at the hinge area. There is a bulletin out by Saturn on this. I agree, the trunk is hard to close, but to open the storage door to let air out seems silly. I have my Sky, I will try it today.:thumbs:

I was being sarcastic about scratching my head....:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just ran out to the garage to try it, opening the storage box did not help matters for me....Oh well.:willy:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's a tip from the factory. When closing the rear deck, stand behind the car (not to the side) ,place both hands evenly on deck and close. This will assure that even pressure is applied when closing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have also read not to place your hands on the humps, as it could cause dents. :thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Bob nice to see a post from you again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
rick112 said:
Bob nice to see a post from you again.
I'll try to help you guys (and gals) out. But I have to watch what I say.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm finding that I can't be timid about closing the trunk, or it partially latches and I have to repeat the process. Closing it quickly (slamming it) seems easier on it than trying to push down during the closing process. I don't want to dent the trunk.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sky Hi said:
I'm finding that I can't be timid about closing the trunk, or it partially latches and I have to repeat the process. Closing it quickly (slamming it) seems easier on it than trying to push down during the closing process. I don't want to dent the trunk.
YOU ARE RIGHT! I find standing in the back of the trunk with my hand between the humps...I just give it an old fasion trunk slamming quick force down...without holding it to it stops...so its like a quick downward force and the trunk shuts on its own.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you look in the compartment between the seats you'll know this is more then likely BS on the dealers part. The compartment is sealed and does not pass through to the trunk. Now the very old Solstice prototypes used to have a manual trunk release lever that did pass through into the trunk, but that was a long time ago now.

·
Registered
877 Posts
bob said:
Here's a tip from the factory. When closing the rear deck, stand behind the car (not to the side) ,place both hands evenly on deck and close. This will assure that even pressure is applied when closing.
Thats what a salesperson showed me as well:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
Yeah, I know. There are other warnings on the car that you MUST have the doors closed when you close the hood or it will take some paint of the doors at the hinge area. There is a bulletin out by Saturn on this. I agree, the trunk is hard to close, but to open the storage door to let air out seems silly. I have my Sky, I will try it today.:thumbs:

The doors do not have to be closed to shut the hood -- they can be closed or open -- just ALL THE WAY. Don't have the door open 1/2 way (first stop notch)

·
Registered
262 Posts
opppps

Stu's Sky said:

My bad. I didn't catch the two distinctions that you made in your original post.
Sorry

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
LOL :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
brentil said:
If you look in the compartment between the seats you'll know this is more then likely BS on the dealers part. The compartment is sealed and does not pass through to the trunk. Now the very old Solstice prototypes used to have a manual trunk release lever that did pass through into the trunk, but that was a long time ago now.

Wow. And to think that dealers are suppose to know the product that they are selling? How sad.

The only thing that is VERY IMPORTANT is to NOT push on the humps to close the shell. You WILL leave dents in it. Reach over and push from the center.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts