Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread to help new owners have a better experience without the pitfalls we others may have already experienced or know of:brentil:

Her's my first tip: Don't park front end first anywhere there is a sidewalk or a cement stop block:banghead:
Chances are you will scratch your new car under the very low front end of your bumper:banghead: It's hard to judge where that bumper ends from the driver seat:banghead:

OK everone you have the idea now:thumbs:

·
Registered
141 Posts
After years of driving lowered cars, by default I park far away from curbs and cement stoppers.... It just happens. I'll get out and go, dang, I had like another 3 feet to go....:thumbs:

·
Registered
128 Posts
After years of driving lowered cars, by default I park far away from curbs and cement stoppers.... It just happens. I'll get out and go, dang, I had like another 3 feet to go....:thumbs:
I hear you there I havent driven a car that has not been lowered (10 years) till I drove my wifes car home from the dealership for her b-day, I felt as though I was in a lifted truck:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is another tip:
Park way out in the parking lots, it's worth the walk because the tears you cry (from the dents caused by other peole's car doors) will rust your car:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
The cup holder brakes easliy so try not to use it too much :p

·
Registered
994 Posts
Any suggestions on washing it, soaps/cleaners to use? One guy told me to go to a motorcylcle dealer and get a shammy called S100. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Any suggestions on washing it, soaps/cleaners to use? One guy told me to go to a motorcylcle dealer and get a shammy called S100. Anyone know about this?
S100 is a company... which carries a line of motorcycle care products. http://www.s100.com/ is web page. Excellent products used by lots of Harley owners who want the best for their "babies"..:thumbs: I have a couple of chamois cloths myself... they work great.:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Microfiber towels are your best friend when it comes to cleaning anything you don't want scratched(ie: polished wheels, painted parts....even great for cleaning windows).

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Always slide your drivers seat all the way back, makes it real easy to get out and back in--Especially if you have a aahh pot belly, not a pot belly, a beer belly--:lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do not try to squeese a little more petrol in after the pump has done its auto shuttoff...extremely short filler neck.

Good point Iceman49, I've even had it run over on some pumps that have more pressure:thumbs:

Here's a little tip for you new owners that have a stick shift. Keep the stereo sound low when taking off from a light / stop sign until you get use to the car. It saves the embarrassment of stalling the motor:brentil:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Don't leave the monsoon sound system maxed out when you turn off the steeo. When you are upshifted from 2nd to 3rd you will bump the on button and scare the crap out of you, check my shorts man. Could give your passenger a coronary!!!:lol: :lol: Secure the cup hoplder on the console as you hit that with your elbow.:lol: I used some putty to keep mine closed, it really is a nuisance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cleaning....

A few years ago I looked into the Mr. Clean set up that dries by itself and leaves no water marks, and it totally works. Hard water where I live so the filters do not last as long, but as long as this product is on the market I will use it. I like KITT car polish (Walmart 2 bucks) for swirl issues and Zymol for the wax part of it. Used to detail for a living. Meguiars interior detailer spray is excellent. It isnt shiny at all, just more of a basic cleaner...no residue, no shiny look, and has a UV protector. I have used the 303 protectant on my Honda Elements plastic panels...and while it looked great when clean...the morning dew would drip down the sides of the car and leave those streaks in its path. no matter how much or how little I used.

:cheers:
Ken

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another tip is to use the search function on this site for what ever you might be wanting info on...because chances are there is a thread on that subject.:thumbs:

Example: There is a thread on what cleaning products people have had good luck with cleaning their Sky.:cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another tip:
Keep your RMS down for the first 1,000 miles or even till the first oil change.
This reduces the chance of scarring your new tight toleranced cylinder walls and rings. This is a breakin period for your motor... so give it a break:thumbs:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By now you know you don't have a spare tire or a car jack so...

Here is a tip for a little extra backup if you get a flat. Buy a tire plug set to go in the trunk. You may be able to plug your tire and then air it up with that handy dandy air copressor:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
  • Check your tire pressures all around. GM recommends 29psi.
  • Familiarize yourself with the tire inflator kit. (not that any of us do)
  • Keep an eye out for leaks from beneath the car, esp under the diff.
  • Adjust mirrors and practice mirror only driving.
  • Raise and lower top with straight in and out movements near the front latch (avoid tearing seal on top of windshield.)
  • Monitor cubes in drain pouches in trunk for blockage.
  • Make sure you replace gas cap tight each time. (check light takes a while to clear.)
  • Adhere to the breakin period as described in the manual.
  • ...more...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another Tip:
Grab seat belt before closing door. It gets to be a habit after a while. :)
You can't get belt easily once driver door is closed.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Sadly I do not have my car yet :confused:, but I remember my old Opel GT and my test drive of the Sky very well and the lesson learned.

Side mirrors are for seeing things on the side of your car, not for seeing things you can see in your rear view mirror. While this is not very important on big cars with lots of driver viewing area, it is very important on small cars with minimal driver viewing area.

I know the salesman looked at me like I was crazy :crazy: when I spent 10 minutes adjusting the side mirrors before I went on my test drive. But while I was taking my test drive I could see any cars beside me as soon as they left my rear view mirror in the side mirrors, I also noticed people at least the ones driving around me during the test drive had a tendency slow down when they pulled along side the car, and slow side cars and limited visiblity with the top up is a very dangerous combo.

If you haven't got you car yet you might want to practice driving with reset mirrors to get the hang of it, it takes some getting used to:thumbs:

But it will probably make for safer driving when you do get the car, you might also find like me that once you get used to you will reset the mirrors in all your cars:jester:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts