Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help. Tires on my 2008 Sky Redline, had for 6 months were losing pressure regularly. Brought it in to tire dealer and he showed me cracks around side walls. Looks like dry rot. Bottom line is I need a new set of tires. There are Pirelli Pzero Nero p245/35/20 zr 95 w M+S on stock Giovanna rims. The Goodyear guy where I was suggested their 245/35r20 95w xl eagle sport a/s vbtl as a cost effective replacement. What to do. Can you guys help? Thanks, from Tucson

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I have just recently change all the vehicles I own over to Falken tires. Have had great luck with them off road for the last three years, put a set on my wife's Redline and she loves them, took off virtually new Michelin's. She has the ability to test tires to their limits, as I am sure @Robotech will tell you. lol

Put a set on my Redline and love them. No idea how wear will be, but have done well with mileage on my FJ Cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
I could use some help. Tires on my 2008 Sky Redline, had for 6 months were losing pressure regularly. Brought it in to tire dealer and he showed me cracks around side walls. Looks like dry rot. Bottom line is I need a new set of tires. There are Pirelli Pzero Nero p245/35/20 zr 95 w M+S on stock Giovanna rims. The Goodyear guy where I was suggested their 245/35r20 95w xl eagle sport a/s vbtl as a cost effective replacement. What to do. Can you guys help? Thanks, from Tucson
Tire advice is so subjective that it may not do you much good. As much as skersfan hates Michelin, I love them, so we are going to contradict each other. The Goodyear guy is as likely to advise you in a way that helps him as much as you, so that is always suspect, although I have usually had good results from Goodyear, so who knows.

The first question is whether you need all-season tires. Tucson stays pretty warm, and according to the climate information I checked only gets into the 40s occasionally. I use all-seasons because we have clear dry conditions throughout the year, but in the winter it will be in the 30s or even below. I don't want two complete sets of tires, and I don't want to park the car all winter, so I sacrifice a little bit of performance to save a lot of time, money, and aggravation. Summer-only tires will give you a lot more options in that size especially, but do not perform well below 50, and shouldn't be driven on at all below 30.

Of the 9 all-season options listed by Tire Rack in that size, I would likely chose the Goodyears he suggested. The Michelins are $100 more each, and may not be worth the extra. Just for comparison, there are 67 performance tires listed in that size, 58 of which are summer-only. Falken does not have an AS option that I could find.

Why do you call the Giovanna wheels "stock"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire advice is so subjective that it may not do you much good. As much as skersfan hates Michelin, I love them, so we are going to contradict each other. The Goodyear guy is as likely to advise you in a way that helps him as much as you, so that is always suspect, although I have usually had good results from Goodyear, so who knows.

The first question is whether you need all-season tires. Tucson stays pretty warm, and according to the climate information I checked only gets into the 40s occasionally. I use all-seasons because we have clear dry conditions throughout the year, but in the winter it will be in the 30s or even below. I don't want two complete sets of tires, and I don't want to park the car all winter, so I sacrifice a little bit of performance to save a lot of time, money, and aggravation. Summer-only tires will give you a lot more options in that size especially, but do not perform well below 50, and shouldn't be driven on at all below 30.

Of the 9 all-season options listed by Tire Rack in that size, I would likely chose the Goodyears he suggested. The Michelins are $100 more each, and may not be worth the extra. Just for comparison, there are 67 performance tires listed in that size, 58 of which are summer-only. Falken does not have an AS option that I could find.

Why do you call the Giovanna wheels "stock"?
I thought they were the stock rims, not many around Tucson to compare to. Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
I thought they were the stock rims, not many around Tucson to compare to. Bob
The stock wheels are relatively plain 5-spoke alloys, and were available in silver painted, polished aluminum, and chrome.
The stock size is 245/45-18. Redlines were shipped with summer-only tires, and the NAs with all-seasons. The OEM tires were all Goodyear.
IMG_20200212_190739238.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts