Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is either here or very close for most of us and since Spring is tire rebate time, I would like tire suggestions as I am still running original factory tires (please, no negative comments or lecture on this). For my own purpose, my vehicle is the Solstice N/A and I am not a fast driver although I do like fast cornering with the vehicle fully gripping the road. I am looking for a tire that would be durable and economical, more so than performance based and ideally, all-season (balancing cost with quality). I came across a tire review article (updated February 2019) suggesting the following as the best tires for the Kappa. So let's hear any input on your own tires or the recommended ones.

245/45R18
Touring All-Season

High Performance All-Season

High Performance Summer

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Well, if you want season-round performance (and don't get too much snow) then your middle category (High Performance All-Season) is all that you should look at!

As to which tire IN that category, "opinions are like a$$holes". All 3 are good. Pick the cheapest (or most expensive) as you like. I have an older version of the Conti DWS and have been perfectly happy with them. But that is a statistical sample of 1.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
I'll basically agree with TomatoSoup.

There is no reason for you to go summer-only, and if you ever plan to drive when it is below 50F there is very good reason for you not to.

These are your picks with Tire Rack prices for each. Not a huge range in my opinion.

Touring All-Season
High Performance All-Season
High Performance Summer
I have the Pilot Sport AS 3+ on both of mine, and am very happy with them. Some people hate them. They are also the most expensive on your list.

Touring tires in general will give you a softer ride and better tread life, but with slightly less grip. That said, I had Michelin MXV4 touring tires (now discontinued) on my NA and loved them. Given your stated wants they would certainly work for you as a class, but I know nothing about the specific tires you listed there.

Anything you put on the car is going to be better than what you have now, and will probably be better than they were new, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm buying new tires this month, and deciding between the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and A/S 3+. After reading this review, I'm leaning towards the A/S 3+. I don't plan to drive in snow, or even when it's cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a couple weeks in to my new pilot sports. I am completely shocked at how different it made the car feel! It was a great choice

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice compilation.

I have the Pilot Super Sport, love them, but the design is not the most modern anymore. According to the interweb the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is the better choice these days (except in some rare cases / situations).
There are many comparison tests between PSS and PS4 on the interweb. Some of them are very interesting reads.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
Nice compilation.

I have the Pilot Super Sport, love them, but the design is not the most modern anymore. According to the interweb the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is the better choice these days (except in some rare cases / situations).
There are many comparison tests between PSS and PS4 on the interweb. Some of them are very interesting reads.
Thanks.

Tire Rack does not currently list the PSS in 245/45-18. The Michelins available are two different AS3+ (100Y and 96V), and the 4S.
I remember a year or so ago there was talk of Michelin phasing the PSS out and replacing it with the 4S.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
Yep,That is why I was surprised you listed / recommended the PSS
Strictly speaking I didn't list them, since I just copied the list he originally posted, but I definitely should have noted that I substituted the price for the 4S for the PSS.
I don't generally recommend summer-only tires, since most people that I know do a fair amount of driving when it is still too cold for them.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
What is the recommended minimum temperature for summer tires?
The few people that I know that drive on them say that below 50F they are pretty bad. A month or so ago it was 40F in the morning and a co-worker drove his M3 to work on its summer-only tires. I had a great back-road drive on my AS 3+s, but he stayed on the main roads and said it was still really slippery.

I have read that flexing them at all (even rolling the car around in the garage) below freezing can permanently damage them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you get the 4S or the A/S 3+?
4s Mine are 255 35 20s . Everyone said they were going to be rough. Couldn’t be further from the truth. I too had still the stock tires after all this time. Couldn’t believe the difference. Never in a life did I think they would make such a difference

·
Registered
25 Posts
The few people that I know that drive on them say that below 50F they are pretty bad. A month or so ago it was 40F in the morning and a co-worker drove his M3 to work on its summer-only tires. I had a great back-road drive on my AS 3+s, but he stayed on the main roads and said it was still really slippery.

I have read that flexing them at all (even rolling the car around in the garage) below freezing can permanently damage them.
Yes this is right, they don’t recommend them even stored in temperature below 45

·
Registered
125 Posts
For what its worth.... I'll drive my Sky in the cooler weather and I did some research not long ago on what to buy when i need to replace the Goodyear Eagle F1's currently on my car. My first choice was the Conti Extreme Contact DWS and my second was the A/S 3's. I've had both tires on my MINI Cooper and while both were very good, i just liked the Conti's a bit better for the price difference. And to be honest, the F1's aren't terrible either.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
The F1s aren't terrible, but the OP has an NA, and it came with RS-As. The RS-A is a decent-handling all season tire for an NA until the road gets wet. Then they turn terrible.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I disagree^, the F1's ARE terrible. The RSA's may be worse, but the F1's are terrible. When I bought my car I changed the tires in under 1000 miles because I hated the F1's so much. I got the Conti DWS's and things improved tremendously in all ways and in all conditions.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
I disagree^, the F1's ARE terrible. The RSA's may be worse, but the F1's are terrible. When I bought my car I changed the tires in under 1000 miles because I hated the F1's so much. I got the Conti DWS's and things improved tremendously in all ways and in all conditions.
I will remind you of the words of a member whose opinions I greatly respect:

....... "opinions are like a$$holes". ............. But that is a statistical sample of 1.
For everyone who loves a tire there will be someone who hates it just as much. I know a number of people, mainly drivers of NAs to be sure, who drove on the F1s and liked them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm okay with the F1's (they came on the car and only have about 5k on them) but to each their own i guess. Whatever works for whatever style of driving you do and whatever weather you do it in. Its your money & your car.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts