Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i come up on 4k miles, i am thinking about rotating my wheels.

anyone else have advice on how often to rotate these wheels?

i think every 4 to 5k miles would be best for them to age together.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Gonna do mine when the replacement door sills and diff seals come in. Should be aroud 7,500 miles...

·
Registered
322 Posts
:) A practice I have, and will maintain is tire rotation with each oil and filter change. One of the (many) nice things about the SKY, is that wheels and tires fit all four corners:D which is not the case with some other "performance" vehicles:driving: .

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
Antonio: i generally go every other oilchange or about 6,000 miles. Then again, you can never really rotate them too much.
CUINOZ: A practice I have, and will maintain is tire rotation with each oil and filter change.
I take it from this that you guys are not planning to follow the Oil Life System ? The way mine is going, I'll be 8-9000 miles between oil changes, so I'll be rotating tires at every other oil change.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I take it from this that you guys are not planning to follow the Oil Life System ? The way mine is going, I'll be 8-9000 miles between oil changes, so I'll be rotating tires at every other oil change.
Yeah, the synthetic oil's last longer and now conventional oil and oil systems are getting better, but I choose to not really take a chance. I may not always change right at 3000, but it's a good guideline. Having fresh oil is never a bad thing. It's pretty much up to the user, their time schedule, and the weight of their right foot. Mine happens to be on the heavy side, so keeping a regular interval of about 3-4K miles is better for me than say someone who just cruises to the store now and then.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I hadn't thought about this myself, as I figured I'd let service handle it.
The manual says tires should be rotated every 5000 to 8000 miles, fwiw.

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
Antonio :....... It's pretty much up to the user, their time schedule, and the weight of their right foot. Mine happens to be on the heavy side, so keeping a regular interval of about 3-4K miles is better for me than say someone who just cruises to the store now and then.
The Oil Life System measures all of that. Drive cycles, throttle opening, coolant temperature, etc, and the computational algorithms were developed over millions of miles of testing.

Its your money, and you have to make yourself comfortable, but remember, 3k mile oil change intervals became the rule before fuel injection, when engines ran much dirtier, and even spark plugs only lasted 25k. Now, you'll go 100k between tuneups, or do you still change plugs at 25k ?

cerberus : I hadn't thought about this myself, as I figured I'd let service handle it.
The manual says tires should be rotated every 5000 to 8000 miles, fwiw.
It looks like I may be changing oil and rotating my tires on about the same interval.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
as i come up on 4k miles, i am thinking about rotating my wheels.

anyone else have advice on how often to rotate these wheels?

i think every 4 to 5k miles would be best for them to age together.
They rotated my tires at my 5,000 mile check

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Well

I be figurin' that I be a following the recomendations in the manuel, for the most part.
At least that way you keep it covered by the warrenty...to 100,000 miles

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i generally go every other oilchange or about 6,000 miles. Then again, you can never really rotate them too much.
Thats what my hubby told me to do....:agree:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you pay someone to do it

it isn't worth it.

If you do it yourself it makes sense.

It costs 12.50 to do it per tire in the tire shops here

12.50 x 4 =50

Like I said not worth it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
When I was in college, my father decided during one of our frequent financial chats that I should change the oil in my car myself instead of paying $25. I dutifully dragged a friend who knows about such things out to AutoZone and bought supplies in bulk for the best deal. I spent about $100 and had enough stuff for 8 oil changes or so. When we got back to my fraternity house and jacked the car up, he noticed that it was slowly leaking oil from the pan, so I went back and bought a gasket. We took it apart and found that the car was built without a gasket, but had some sort of rubberized caulk instead which needed to be scraped off of the pan and off of where it connected to the underside of the car. In the process of doing all that, i managed to bend some thing that sticks down into the oil pan.

Finally after 3 days of effort (it was February in upstate NY, and I did have classes to attend so there were lots of breaks), I got Dad to agree that I was not meant to change my own oil. I threw all of the parts in the trunk, taped a garbage bag under the car, and had it towed to the dealer for repair. They had the car back together and ready to go in 90 minutes. Between supplies, towing, a new thingy, and the oil change they charged me for, it cost $400 for me to save eight bucks.

Other than adding windshield washer fluid, I have never messed around under the hood of a car since. That experience is why I pay people to do my maintenance, including rotating the tires, and I plan to have someone install my Lil Chromies for me. I figure there are lots of parts that likely cost way more than I'd save that I don't want to put in harms way. The dealer charged me $35 for the tire rotation and $35 for the oil change. Well worth it, I'd say.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Its your money, and you have to make yourself comfortable, but remember, 3k mile oil change intervals became the rule before fuel injection, when engines ran much dirtier, and even spark plugs only lasted 25k. Now, you'll go 100k between tuneups, or do you still change plugs at 25k? .
I must be getting old. I remember having to replace the points, condensor, and spark plugs at every other oil change, or about every 6K miles.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
Points ? Condenser ??

I am so happy that I don't have to mess with those in my daily drivers. Somehow, its OK in the toys.

My MGB (1963) service manual has a section on tearing the engine down to de-carbonise the heads. I think it was at 50 or 60k miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts