Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a look at the manufacture date on my tires today and was shocked....2011. The car (purchased 2 months ago) is parked until I find new rubber.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading the many tire threads in this forum but they're all dated. It seems tire manufacturers change specs and names frequently so the doughnut recommended yesterday isn't available today (at least under the same name).

At age 75 my 'hang the tail out in the sweepers' days are, sadly, over but I still enjoy a spirited drive and challenge of a sweeping freeway ramp. I'm in the Phoenix area so it never really gets cold but it sure does get hot so all season or summer tires will work.

If you've purchased tires recently and are happy with them would you please post the brand/model?

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I went with Continental Extreme Contact Sport.
Had them on my previous Sky and G8. They are a summer tire and should be ideal for Phoenix. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put on PS4S and they were so sticky kicked up a ton of rocks onto my black side skirt / rear quarter. Get PPF before replacing the tires.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Goodyear still actually makes the original Eagle RS-As in our size. Discount tire carries them and it'll run you about $600 for the set.
The version of RS-A used for the Sky and Solstice was demonstrably one of the worst tires ever fitted to any car. They were fun to drive on when the roads were dry, but had virtually zero grip on wet pavement. I am pretty sure that anything else is better, unless your car will never see wet roads.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The version of RS-A used for the Sky and Solstice was demonstrably one of the worst tires ever fitted to any car. They were fun to drive on when the roads were dry, but had virtually zero grip on wet pavement. I am pretty sure that anything else is better, unless your car will never see wet roads.
I've consistently seen comments that those tires were terrible. You're the first to point out that it was just on wet roads. So were the tires really good on dry? I've owned the car for almost 5 years and even though I've only put about 2,000 miles on it I figure it will need new tires soon. My car NEVER sees wet roads.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I've consistently seen comments that those tires were terrible. You're the first to point out that it was just on wet roads. So were the tires really good on dry? I've owned the car for almost 5 years and even though I've only put about 2,000 miles on it I figure it will need new tires soon. My car NEVER sees wet roads.
I enjoyed driving on them in the dry. They were very predictable and quite well-suited to the lower power of the 2.4. The problem arose on wet pavement where the grip would suddenly go away at a much lower level than you would expect. I was on an on-ramp in a light rain when it happened to me the first time and it was pretty scary. That said, I ended up putting 30k or so miles on them, and they actually did pretty well in heavy rain.

I would say that the greatest danger would occur if you got caught out by a surprise rain because you really would not be prepared for the sudden loss of grip.

Also, if your tires are that old you need new ones regardless of mileage.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Don't you have a RedLine? The RS-As were fitted to the 2.4s and not the RLs.

My suspicion is that they would not provide enough grip for the increased power that you have, although they might well be better than an over-aged set of what was originally a stickier tire.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't you have a RedLine? The RS-As were fitted to the 2.4s and not the RLs.

My suspicion is that they would not provide enough grip for the increased power that you have, although they might well be better than an over-aged set of what was originally a stickier tire.
You are correct. RedLine. I guess I got my Goodyear's mixed up. I have a set of Falkens on it that were there when I got it. Have to believe they are at least 6 years old. Just thinking ahead. Want something with decent grip in dry but would like a softer ride as well

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I enjoyed driving on them in the dry. They were very predictable and quite well-suited to the lower power of the 2.4. The problem arose on wet pavement where the grip would suddenly go away at a much lower level than you would expect. I was on an on-ramp in a light rain when it happened to me the first time and it was pretty scary. That said, I ended up putting 30k or so miles on them, and they actually did pretty well in heavy rain.

I would say that the greatest danger would occur if you got caught out by a surprise rain because you really would not be prepared for the sudden loss of grip.

Also, if your tires are that old you need new ones regardless of mileage.
FYI. How Long Do Tires Last if Not Used? - Tire Reviews, Buying Guide & Interesting Facts - Utires.com.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We got some Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrical 3 years ago and they ride very well and have great grip and do not throw rocks up on our gravel road like the original factory tires did. We live in the mountains of Virginia so I know what a curvy is like. I never drive in the rain so don't know anything but dry pavement. We only have 5000 mile on these in 3 years. I read up tire test on the Tire Rack, maybe this could help you too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I put on PS4S and they were so sticky kicked up a ton of rocks onto my black side skirt / rear quarter. Get PPF before replacing the tires.
Thats funny you mention it -- I put PS4s on and started to hear the pebbles kicked up but figured it was something I simply never noticed before.

That said, PS4s are an excellent tire. Expensive, but the grip is phenomenal both wet and dry. On a stricter budget, I am a pretty big fan of continental and run them on all our other cars.

Re: stock tires. I had the goodyears on (i think they were RSA but not sure) -- my understanding is the RSAs were stock depending on your location. Some areas had summer tires standard, colder climates got the RSAs. In all, perhaps one of the worst tires ive ever had. No grip, noisy, harsh ride, and not generally good at anything. I had brand new ones that the GM dealer put on when I purchased mine. They dry rotted in about 4-5 years and 20k, year round use.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Thats funny you mention it -- I put PS4s on and started to hear the pebbles kicked up but figured it was something I simply never noticed before.

That said, PS4s are an excellent tire. Expensive, but the grip is phenomenal both wet and dry. On a stricter budget, I am a pretty big fan of continental and run them on all our other cars.

Re: stock tires. I had the goodyears on (i think they were RSA but not sure) -- my understanding is the RSAs were stock depending on your location. Some areas had summer tires standard, colder climates got the RSAs. In all, perhaps one of the worst tires ive ever had. No grip, noisy, harsh ride, and not generally good at anything. I had brand new ones that the GM dealer put on when I purchased mine. They dry rotted in about 4-5 years and 20k, year round use.
The OE tires were specific to model, not region. The 2.4s were fitted with all-season RS-As, while the RLs wore summer-only GS-2s.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Firestone FIREHAWK AS BL 245/45R18 XL100V that I purchased from TiresPlus, Firestone's sister company. They ride comfortably and I do not have any issues or have heard road noise.

I, too, had the same age issue with old tires, but mine was worse than yours. When I got my car in 2018, it only had 46k miles, and it is a 2007 Sky Redline. But my car still had the Original manufacturer Michelin tires on the car. The reason that I even noticed this was that I kept getting a leak on one side of the car. I took the car in to see if there was a nail and when the car was in the air, I could see the dry rot in the tread. Just looking at the tires on the ground, the tires looked new with very little tread wear, what you would expect from Michelin's past quality.

There is one thing that you will have to pay attention to if you have the Chrome rims and those tires have been on the car since that time frame, you may have issues with your rims. After getting the car home with the new tires, a tire had gone down about 3-4 days later. The issue with the profile of the tires it can be hard to notice a slow leak. I go back to the shop, and they say it may be a sealer issue and the technician. They repair it.

It happened again and this time I went to the back and asked to see and when I looked you could see the chrome flaking. So,I found a place on Ebay and got all 4 rims for slightly less than the price of 1 one rim. I got the polished version this time. They had the chrome rim that I could have gotten, but GM made the same rim and slight variations in the design and no one may have noticed. But the bigger issue was that I did not want to get the one and the other 3 rims chrome flaking starts to get worse.

Finally, I just went ahead and took care of getting all new tires and rims for safety. I had lived in Nashville and around 2012 I saw my first Soltice at a gas station and the reason that I remember the car is because the lady driving it pulled in to get air. It sticks with me because she had driven on the low tire and tried to pump it up. I went in the gas station and right before I walked out we all heard what sounded like bang. She had driven on the flat and messed up the rubber and she kept trying to fill it up and the tire blew apart ---- in her face. She lost an eye. Her tires would have been about 5-6 years when they blew.

When I was looking for my car, I had forgotten about the Soltice. I had a Miata and it had been totaled and I wanted something different and when looking I wanted the Redline, because I knew that I would get the regular and would spend more money trying yo make it look like a Redline. It was not until I asked to see the tires when it hit me about the woman that had been injured. So, remembering her and getting the tires, because I did not know if someone in my household may have driven it too low and all I saw was what I thought was the results of a slow leak. So when the leak kept happening, I told him to just hold the car and give me a few days and about 2-3 days later I had ordered the rims and shipped to center.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those RS-As were fitted on base sky's which mine is and I never drive mine in the rain. So thankfully I've never had the bad experiences with them when roads are wet. I was just suggesting them for those that want to keep the oem look from the factory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts