Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if you checked out the prices on the tires for our Sky's, But at some stores(Don't want to mention any names) their running upwards toward 300.00 to 350.00 apiece.:eek: Well,check out this web site, Tirerack.com. You could save hundreds of dollars.Just make sure you stay with the y or w series.Or call and ask questions. I Thought I would share this with all my Sky friends. Thats if you already don't know about this web site!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Tirerack.com has them for $226 I think plus shipping. The problem is there are 2 different versions of the same tire. One was used on a Nissan and the one used on our cars and they're slightly different. If you get the OE one from tirerack.com you're getting the right tire. If you go to a local place and order you'll end up with the Nissan one possibly which is not exactly correct. I spent like 3 days dealing with the place I got my racing tires from trying to find out if they could actually get the tire I need. They could get it for $216 but there's a national backorder of 4~5 weeks on them.

If you're going to replace them just try to get better tires like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, those are some sweet summer only tires which can be gotten for $198 from tirerack.com also.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brentil said:
Tirerack.com has them for $226 I think plus shipping. The problem is there are 2 different versions of the same tire. One was used on a Nissan and the one used on our cars and they're slightly different. If you get the OE one from tirerack.com you're getting the right tire. If you go to a local place and order you'll end up with the Nissan one possibly which is not exactly correct. I spent like 3 days dealing with the place I got my racing tires from trying to find out if they could actually get the tire I need. They could get it for $216 but there's a national backorder of 4~5 weeks on them.

If you're going to replace them just try to get better tires like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, those are some sweet summer only tires which can be gotten for $198 from tirerack.com also.
I know it will probably be a year or so before I really have to start looking. So thanks for the info. Also found out that most tire places might match anything you find as long as you print out the info off the web site.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car that you already need tires????

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
agirltrucker said:
How many miles do you have on your car that you already need tires????
I've got 11k miles on my car but I've got a nail in the sidewall of my tire. The other set I got was for racing purposes only.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ouch, nail in the side wall. Happened to me on my Vue but on the INSIDE, now explain that one....:willy: How many miles should we be able to get before we need new one?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Ouch, nail in the side wall. Happened to me on my Vue but on the INSIDE, now explain that one....:willy: How many miles should we be able to get before we need new one?
These tires are extra load tires designed for a car that weighs WAY more then what our cars weigh. My bet is that factor should help with longevity. I've got 11k miles and I've done 8 auto-x events and I'm down to 8/32nds tread depth when the car comes stock 10/32nds tread depth. You're supposed to change them out around 5~6/32nds I believe. The auto-x events really eat tires too. It's why I got the extra set of race only tires.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks for the quick response....:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
2/32nds

brentil said:
These tires are extra load tires designed for a car that weighs WAY more then what our cars weigh. My bet is that factor should help with longevity. I've got 11k miles and I've done 8 auto-x events and I'm down to 8/32nds tread depth when the car comes stock 10/32nds tread depth. You're supposed to change them out around 5~6/32nds I believe. The auto-x events really eat tires too. It's why I got the extra set of race only tires.
I had always heard that you do not want to get below 2/32nds - about the distance from the edge of a penny to the top of Licoln's head. Now that is a bare minimum for clear dry weather use. I would not want to be hitting any rain or snow with a 245 tire and only 2/32nds of tread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts