Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks. Our Redline lives in SW Florida. I think we may be replacing the original (I think) tires in the near future.

No snow to worry about. What do you suggest? Are "run-flats" an option?

33K miles on her and we just got the Trifecta tune (installing in January). Vehicle is otherwise stock.

Not looking for extreme anything. Want to maintain same tire size/dimensions. Do want best traction without reducuing ride comfort.

Thanks,

MIke

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Mike, if you want "best" traction then run flats are out. Everything is a compromise.

@skersfan or @jgassor may be better judges of these tires than I since their suspensions are closer to stock than mine but I love my Potenza RE-71Rs. I don't find any reduction in ride over the tires I had on previously (though they were horrible tires anyway) and grip...well, they're an autocross tire and one of the top choices in autocross today. To go to a tire that has any more traction than these you're looking at a racing tire.

The Pilot Super Sports (PSS) are another great choice and people seem to love them. They have great traction too but the Potenzas still beat them in traction.

Now wear, the PSS probably beat the Potenzas there but I've had mine on for about 10-15K miles and they still aren't on the wear bars. Considering I have a few autocross events on them that's pretty good in my book. If I get a year out of them (I drive about 20K miles a year) I'm happy.

EDIT: I should have mentioned but both tires are available in 245/45R18, the Sky's stock tire size.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I gotta say, I have the Nitto NT555 Gen 2 in the stock size (245/45/18) and they grip very well, with no road noise and good comfort, plus they're decently cheap for a set of 4.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
We look forward to hearing what you decide.

Okay, so funny story on the RE-71Rs...they get substantially less traction as the weather drops below 60 I'm finding out. In the 50s I'm breaking the tires loose much easier than when it was 60+ out. Nothing crazy but definitely noticeable.

Now, on my way into work there is an onramp I take for the freeway that, if I have no one in front of me...which is tragically very rarely...I can take the bend at 70 and not even think twice about it. So today, I'm on my way into work and...look! No one in front of me for the on ramp! WOOT! So I get her up to 70, get in my line, and I'm looking forward to having at least a bit of fun before I set the cruise control to 70 and meander into work. Just as I'm starting to come up to where I need to initiate my turn in, I look down at my DIC and see the temperature... 40 Degrees...

I firmly press the brakes as I'm muttering to myself "They have less grip...they have less grip...they have less grip..." I drop 15 mph off my speed, initiate the turn, and everything is fine. I bet the tires could have gripped at 70 but I wasn't going to test it.

The tires come with a warning not to drive them in cold conditions...since 40 is only 8 degrees above freezing I'd be willing to guess this is what they mean by cold as these things definitely develop less grip in the cold.

I wonder how much tire warmers run?

EDIT: $500 and I get them exactly my size and with a custom logo...huh...wonder if I could find a way to use these trackside for autocross...Oh crap...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey folks.

Have not been on the site in a while. We moved to our SW Florida home (where we have our Redline) end of June and really enjoying the change of lifestyle from Baltimore/DC area.

Although they still had tread and wearing evenly, I decided to buy new rubber. After a bunch of research, I decided on these:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=445WR8FHI5XL&autoMake=Saturn&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Sky+Redline&autoModClar=

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. The old tires were the OEM rubber and installer told me they had worn evenly and we didnt need an alignment.

SO far we have put about 200 miles on them and we love them. quite, track straight, look cool and price was right. Actually got a bit better deal than current price. Ill let you know as we put some miles on them, but so far, I think I made a good decision.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey folks.

Have not been on the site in a while. We moved to our SW Florida home (where we have our Redline) end of June and really enjoying the change of lifestyle from Baltimore/DC area.

Although they still had tread and wearing evenly, I decided to buy new rubber. After a bunch of research, I decided on these:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=445WR8FHI5XL&autoMake=Saturn&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Sky+Redline&autoModClar=

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. The old tires were the OEM rubber and installer told me they had worn evenly and we didnt need an alignment.

SO far we have put about 200 miles on them and we love them. quite, track straight, look cool and price was right. Actually got a bit better deal than current price. Ill let you know as we put some miles on them, but so far, I think I made a good decision.
I think the Indy 500 is one of the best looking tires available.
Congrats on a great choice :cheers:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think the Indy 500 is one of the best looking tires available.
Congrats on a great choice :cheers:
Looks like a great tire and a great price. Today I had my MPSS installed and took the car for a drive. I was extremely impressed. The ride was smooth and quiet and in the turns the car felt like it was on rails.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks like a great tire and a great price. Today I had my MPSS installed and took the car for a drive. I was extremely impressed. The ride was smooth and quiet and in the turns the car felt like it was on rails.
I had a set of BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2-AS installed on mine today.
245/45 Front
275/40 Rear

·
Registered
129 Posts
Riken Raptor Z

RIKEN by Michelin
RAPTOR ZRUltra High Performance Summer

Size: 245/45ZR18 96W
UTQG: 300 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire: $84.91

Installed early summer and very happy with performance.
Very quiet and sticky on cornering.
For the money, you cannot go wrong...

Reactions: GJinNY

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Just installed P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 245/45R18
The review on tirerack was accurate and worth watching the vid. I'm so impressed that there is no road noise and extremely comfortable. The car has been transformed but to be fair this is the first replacement of the originals. Super grippy!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Even at tire rack they are still at $175 ea BEFORE shipping and mounting,

I hope they come with a babe and a 6 pack:cheers:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Riken Raptor Z

RIKEN by Michelin

Qty:

Nice looking tire! Incredible price

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Just installed P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 245/45R18
The review on tirerack was accurate and worth watching the vid. I'm so impressed that there is no road noise and extremely comfortable. The car has been transformed but to be fair this is the first replacement of the originals. Super grippy!
Even at tire rack they are still at $175 ea BEFORE shipping and mounting,

I hope they come with a babe and a 6 pack:cheers:
When it comes to these kinds of tires, you get what you pay for. I run Potenza RE-71Rs which are THE autocross tire to have. They are intcreadibly grippy and some of the fastest tires on course. The P Zeros are a fine choice as well and generally just below the Potenzas.

Riken Raptor Z

RIKEN by Michelin

Qty:

These are new to market and I would love to hear how they wear. Money wise they're great and I would consider them for daily drivers if they wear 20k miles or so. I know they are still not quite at the level of the more expensive name brands when it comes to outright wet and dry performance if you ask the most out of your tires but for the money if they wear right and have no bad traits for long term use I'd have a set for daily driving.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Are you going to use the tires for summer driving. Meaning hot burning sun, very little rain?

I have been looking at the Autocross forums on tires used, you know what is missing? Michelin Super Sports are not listed in the top ten on any list I have found. Nor are the new edition ones.

I have said it before, really isn't a comparison between the RE71R' and the Pilot SS for summer performance tires. It really isn't even close. If you want traction and grip the Bridgestones will give you all you can demand, now wear , I really can not comment on that at this point. I know Robo has put quite a few miles on his, plus the races he attends, and I know he is not easy on his stuff. So his comments on mileage should be taken lightly. He drives harder than most of us I think.

Hottest Autocross Tires for 2016 - Technical Discussion - Autocross.US Forums

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
While you can run slalom tires on the street (and it is legal to do so), the cost is that they wear considerably more quickly. Wear index on the PSS is 300 and on the RE71R, 200.

No street tire with decent wear qualities will win solo events nor will they appear in comparison tests of that class of tire. You are comparing apples and oranges. The correct comparison is between the RE71R and the Michelin Sport Cup 2, also a streetable tire that will wear more quickly.

How well the Sport Cup 2 does or doesn't do against the Bridgestone in solo competition has no bearing on the PSS for street work. The Sport Cup 2 is really not well suited to street use and don't warm up quickly - probably very difficult on the street in cooler climates. Can't comment on that aspect of the Bridgestones.

PS - getting tires for old cars is even worse than for modern models. In vintage racing we used to use racing recaps - they banned them. We went to Goodrich Comp TA R1 (perhaps the first race tirre legal on the street?) but they discontinued them. Today the hot tire is Nitto NT01 (wear index = 100) described as DOT compliant. Narrowest size for my cars are 205/50ZR15 which can be fitted on my rim size - just. Life sucks for some old sports car owners - sizes like those for Lamborghini Countach (a guy I know runs one) of 345x35ZR-15 were not made again until quite recently.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Agree with wspohn here. If grip in warm dry weather is your only yardstick for tire selection, then currently the RE-71Rs are the ticket. I ran them for a year to see how they would do and after about 20K miles, they're done. I'm on the wear bars but they are not bald. My cheap Chinese tires didn't last this long. They were bald at this point.

The PSS and their replacement are meant to be a longer lasting higher performance tire. Not quite the Autocross demon the RE-71R is but pretty close and better suited for everyday use. They were tested against the RE-71Rs and found to be just behind them in performance...but just barely. Enough to matter on the track, probably not enough to matter on the street with some exceptions.

I ran the RE-71Rs daily because I could only afford one set of tires at the time. (Skersfan has helped changed that with a set of Goodyear Eagles he had laying around. Thank you sir.) This season I'll have a set of RE-71Rs dedicated to race days and the Eagles will be my dailies. Yes, I know, people hate the Eagles but they're still better than my cheap Chinese tires I had. LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts