Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
OP requested information on just summer tires. So I asked, baking sun, little rain.

Mine are lasting fine I think. I expect to get 25-30K out of them, but according to Robo, when they start to wear, they do wear at a quicker pace. He got 20K out of his.

No one that I remember has listed wear index was set. Just what was the best summer tire. I drive them back to back on occasion and it is not close, not even remotely close. I also drove them from SoCal to Gunnison, Colorado in a monsoon situation. I was terribly worried about the wet weather action of the tire. I never had a problem, no hydro planning. And hooked up great

After reading the article, the guy said they were better than any all season tire he had driven in the rain. These are fantastic tires, they cost about as much as the Michelins but for summer driving, really much better. They work well at warm temperatures, but get below 50, they become hard and rough. I seldom have to drive in that kind of weather so they are perfect for me.

I put a set of these on the Mallett, larger than stock and they have calmed the beast down considerably. I honestly would not drive it with the PSS on it.

These will make you feel safer in the car, but they will also make you test yourself and your car's limits. You get the feeling there isn't a corner you can not fly thru. Maybe not so good idea all the time.

I will not buy anything else until it is proven that something is better or comparative.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OP here. Cant say baking sun, little rain all year. SW Florida so showers in summer (not driving car much during showers) and warm weather many months. No prolonged cold weather and car is no daily driver (nice weather only!). The Indy 500 we went with has good wet traction just in case...

Ill report back throughout the year on performance.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
HORNET1, is that tire combination on stock wheels? I had thought about going wider in the rear but wasn't sure of clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
How do you like the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 tires>
A very good second choice - not as good as the PSS but very good on their own. Would satisfy 95% of drivers out there. I put them on my Z4MC.

Reactions: Tweetybird

·
Registered
300 Posts
Still like my RE-11’s but don’t race, and they are out of production.
From outside reviews RE-71R’s are the ticket for racing, but the 11’s are close, last longer, and better in the cold and rain than I expected. They are a bit heavy. Happy I got them before discontinued.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks like a great tire and a great price. Today I had my MPSS installed and took the car for a drive. I was extremely impressed. The ride was smooth and quiet and in the turns the car felt like it was on rails.
I had a set of BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2-AS installed on mine today.
245/45 Front
275/40 Rear
You might not be around any more, but... was the rear lower than the front with that config?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
You might not be around any more, but... was the rear lower than the front with that config?
Front: 245x0.45=110.25
Rear: 275x0.40=110.00

So the front would be 0.25mm higher than the rear. Probably not enough to really bother most people.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Front: 245x0.45=110.25
Rear: 275x0.40=110.00

So the front would be 0.25mm higher than the rear. Probably not enough to really bother most people.
Thank you. I wonder if the aesthetic composed look makes it all worth while? Do you get more road rash behind the rear wheels?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
In my opinion staggered tires are not worth messing with, but aesthetics are not my primary concern.
>Because you can't rotate you will likely wear one pair out faster than the other. I prefer to change out a complete set together.
>Depending on the tire you can half-rotate by reversing them on the wheels, but it is a lot of effort and only partially successful.
>You need two spares, assuming that you want to keep a spare in the garage.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
With directional tread patterns the best that you can do is watch tire wear and when you see one end wearing, trade the wheels, back for front on the same side. (You could swap tires on rims side for side but the expense isn't warranted by results)

And I agree with John - don't bother with wider rear tires.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Make me a third. I plan on running 275s all the way around for autocross but they'll still be the same size front to rear. I would never stagger my daily driver tires no matter what as they will need to be rotated to get the maximum life out of the set.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I looked up many types of tires in this thread... some are understandably discontinued (time), and others have proved certain characteristics a year later unknown at the time, like the Comp 2's. The noise complaints are pronounced... many equating the noise to sound as bad as mimicing drivetrain issues. Ironically, they look the best to me.

So, considering Firestone Indie 500, Nitto 555, and the Kumho Ecsta PS31 Performance Radial Tire - 245/45ZR18 100W just for comfort and noise ratings. Looking for a wear rating 400 or better.

Can't find the RAPTOR ZRUltra High Performance available. Might not be easy to get in a pinch, which is a consideration.

The Michelin's look so... boring.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts