Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get a title history? I just bought a 2007 Sky with 20,440 miles from the estate of the deceased owner. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Secretary of State...They're the only ones in MI that would have that info. You can try a GM dealership to see if they can pull up customer's names, but not too many of them are willing to give out that information for fear of being sued. Or you could look all over the car for a place where the PO may have stashed all of the records. I'm currently doing that with my Charger. Every time it's been serviced, it goes into a folder with the dealer Charger book from 2018 underneath the spare tire. That way when they clean out the trunk the next dealer won't find it and throw it out.

·
Administrator
6,875 Posts
Does anyone know how to get a title history? I just bought a 2007 Sky with 20,440 miles from the estate of the deceased owner. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.
CarFax claims to provide registration history as far as number of previous owners, dates, etc, but does not identify the owners.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Guess I should have asked...are you worried it has or did have a salvage title? In MI it used to be pretty easy to "wash" a title....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I bought our Sky (Money Pit) on eBay in late November and picked it up in late January.
I relied on the vehicle's history using the eBay-provided Auto Check and Member Report Online.

THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE !!!

I should have run a Carfax report. The car was sold to me with 8500 miles which Auto Check and Member Report Online supported. But after I got the car home, I became suspicious due to all the issues and hidden dirt. After much time and money invested in the car, I ran a Carfax report which showed 105,000 unaccounted miles and 2 unaccounted owners. So what was supposed to be a Sky with 8500 miles and 2 previous owners, was actually 119,000 miles and 4 previous owners.

Carfax is the only one to rely on.

As part of the mild restoration I did on our Sky, I had the opportunity to correct the actual miles so the car today shows true mileage which makes for a clean-ish Carfax report. I continue to perfect the car with new shocks coming soon. Money Pit lives up to it's name. At least we are enjoying our upside-down investment. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
... Carfax is the only one to rely on.
Just some food for thought, about 5 years ago when I traded in my Jeep, the dealership ran a Carfax on it and had it posted to their website. When I checked out the Carfax it had showed "none reported" under the damage column. I had been hit in a parking lot while parked and had also rear ended a Honda, both incidents were reported to insurance and were fixed by reputable shops. I'm sure all of the car history reporting companies have there flaws. I try to take all of these reports at face value, I'm sure any used car is going to have some skeletons.

·
Registered
678 Posts
car fax reported my car as in a accident because I had to have the fender fixed and painted from the dealership damage

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just some food for thought, about 5 years ago when I traded in my Jeep, the dealership ran a Carfax on it and had it posted to their website. When I checked out the Carfax it had showed "none reported" under the damage column. I had been hit in a parking lot while parked and had also rear ended a Honda, both incidents were reported to insurance and were fixed by reputable shops. I'm sure all of the car history reporting companies have there flaws. I try to take all of these reports at face value, I'm sure any used car is going to have some skeletons.
In 2001 I had a new Sebring convertible that got hit, the insurance company wouldn’t total it and had it sectioned. Cut it in half and put the back of a car that was totaled in the front onto my car, that was wrecked in the rear. Literally cut the car in half behind where the doors closed. Traded the car for a Mercedes the day I got it back.
Out of curiosity, I ran a CarFax on my old car later that year and the accident didn’t show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts