Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is one of the biggest debates I've seen in car communities online since the dawn of time. When you have a shot of your license plate in a picture, should you blur it out or otherwise block it for fear of someone getting your info.

Donut Media, which does some great YouTube productions and is based here in SoCal, did a little experiment. What info can you get from a license plate number as a normal (non-Law Enforcement) person?

Turns out, depending on where you live you might be surprised at what info you can get off just a license plate.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
Good video. Unless I missed something, though, they were able to get the registration address and part of the SSN by going through a (presumably licensed) private investigator, although not for all states. Were they able to get a name? The partial SSN bothers me more than anything, i think. The positive thing is that the request was likely to be recorded, which would be the start of a trail if they actually used the information.

So the big question is, does it matter? My license plate is visible to hundreds, if not thousands of people every day, depending on where I am and what I am doing. Those people are in a much better position to use my address than someone halfway around the world. A burglar, for example, could park at the entrance to my subdivision and read my plate, then look up my address. With a little more work he could find out if I live alone, or if the person I live with is at work all day. He could then schedule a break-in at my house, knowing that he would likely have all day. What is someone in California going to do with my address?

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
I will send the cookie monster to steal all you chocolate chip cookies, put I love California sticker on the back of your car. Be careful, very careful. lol

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
I will send the cookie monster to steal all you chocolate chip cookies, put I love California sticker on the back of your car. Be careful, very careful. lol
Ha! We ate the last of them for lunch today.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John that's just it, I'm not sure if it was a partial number or the whole number. You'll note after that they talk about his Driver's License number and he kind of says under his breath when they mention at least it didn't include that "Yea, just has my Social...". Have no idea if they really had the whole thing or not. That's the one that would be seriously worrisome to me. They never really say they have his name or not, but the address info and social, part or otherwise, would lead me to believe they have at lest that. (Also, the service they got the info from is an online service ran as a part of a PI firm it sounds like.)

The other thing you bring up is always the big debate as is what they bring up about what information even our smart devices are collecting daily.

Working for the government, there may or may not be a reason why someone would want to target me. The more info they have, the easier it is for them to do their job. Like you said though, the fact they may know I'm into cars and what meets I may be going to is far more useful and pertinent info than my license plate especially considering what my car looks like. Not like it doesn't stand out on it's own.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tons of reasons to keep plate blurred online. In most countries they even do not tell you the VIN when advertising a car, also with good reason.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Damn, my utra high tech license spy said you had just purchased a large amount. Just goes to show how much you can trust these high dollar spies, as I popped for the 99 cent upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
Damn, my utra high tech license spy said you had just purchased a large amount. Just goes to show how much you can trust these high dollar spies, as I popped for the 99 cent upgrade.
I did purchase a lot. But we really like chocolate chip cookies.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
There is much larger chance that all these new advertisers get you information, before we are tracked down by license plate lookers. Oh wait, they already have that information because we are members. I have been getting bombarded by Hyundai advertisements over the last few months. I have never looked at a Hyundai site or car. Sure that this site tracks/cookies.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
There is much larger chance that all these new advertisers get you information, before we are tracked down by license plate lookers. Oh wait, they already have that information because we are members. I have been getting bombarded by Hyundai advertisements over the last few months. I have never looked at a Hyundai site or car. Sure that this site tracks/cookies.
I feel like the license plate concern is criminals rather than advertisers, but I get your point.

How are you being bombarded? Email? Banners? ??

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been getting bombarded by Hyundai advertisements over the last few months. I have never looked at a Hyundai site or car. Sure that this site tracks/cookies.
There might be something else causing that...but I can neither confirm nor deny. LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
I don't think it has rubbed off on me. I try not to touch the ugly thing. Bet I am trouble before nightfall for that comment. lol. I did pi$$ off a civic with all the fins and tin can exhaust the other day. I am setting at the light near the shop, he pulls up beside me and revs the popcorn popper and jumps up and down, I slowly rolled down the window, and he did the same. I told him I did not waste my time racing four door taxi cabs. He was not happy with me at all. lol He took off full bore, got about 200 yards and the cops pulled him over. I honked and waved as I drove quietly by.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Here is my plate. Can someone please try to get any info on me?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts