Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lady that bought it spun out and curbed it two weeks after purchase. The guy that bought it from auction contacted me via an ad I had for some left over wheels. We got to chatting and made the connection. At least the ol' hoopty will be fixed up and back on the road soon.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
The lady that bought it spun out and curbed it two weeks after purchase. The guy that bought it from auction contacted me via an ad I had for some left over wheels. We got to chatting and made the connection. At least the ol' hoopty will be fixed up and back on the road soon.
Sad to see the damage, but it is good to know that it will be back on the road.

If you talk again, suggest that he replace the wheel bearings on that side, and have an alignment done that includes rear caster.

My CF RL came from an auction after a similar curbing, and I had to do both.

Reactions: squilliam

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad to see the damage, but it is good to know that it will be back on the road.

If you talk again, suggest that he replace the wheel bearings on that side, and have an alignment done that includes rear caster.

My CF RL came from an auction after a similar curbing, and I had to do both.
Will do! This will be his second restoration since he built one for his wife. He said it's at the frame shop right now but he will be here Saturday to pick up ALL of my left over parts. Mainly three wheels (two good ones and a slightly bent one -good 4 spare) and a bunch of accumulated extras. I told him how much stuff is on there and how he got a good bargain buying this one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Will do! This will be his second restoration since he built one for his wife. He said it's at the frame shop right now but he will be here Saturday to pick up ALL of my left over parts. Mainly three wheels (two good ones and a slightly bent one -good 4 spare) and a bunch of accumulated extras. I told him how much stuff is on there and how he got a good bargain buying this one.
I saw that one on either Copart or IAAI and thought it looked familiar. I didn't think it was yours though since you had just traded it in a few weeks before that one popped up. I guess the timelines make sense now.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that one on either Copart or IAAI and thought it looked familiar. I didn't think it was yours though since you had just traded it in a few weeks before that one popped up. I guess the timelines make sense now.
yep, It's funny, I got a notice from a wrecker service that the car was on their lot and the storage fees were racking up so now I know what happened.
Norm's fenders, RKSport spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N Typhoon... this guy fixing it up has a head start as far as goodies go

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Curbcheck spinout? This is what happens to people these days who have never driven a rear wheel drive vehicle; let alone a fine tuned sportscar. "Oh I can drive that. Vroom, no problem."

·
Registered
626 Posts
yep, It's funny, I got a notice from a wrecker service that the car was on their lot and the storage fees were racking up so now I know what happened.
Norm's fenders, RKSport spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N Typhoon... this guy fixing it up has a head start as far as goodies go
The Opel grille looked like it was still there too. It's still a bummer to see a car you cared for and enjoyed all broken up. I traded in a '06 Jeep Wrangler back in 2015 for my Silverado (just traded in last month)driving around I always would keep an eye out for it on the road. I had aftermarket bumpers and rock rails, take off wheels from an LJ and few other things that I would of noticed if I saw it on the road. In 2018 I was driving by a completely different Chevy dealership 30 minutes south in San Marcos and saw a TJ all modded out to be a deer lease hunting rig. Thought it looked pretty cool from the highway so I checked it out on their website and low and behold it WAS my old Jeep. It still had my wheels and tires, the cheap aftermarket rocker switches on the dash and the throttle body spacer I installed. I confirmed via the VIN and the Carfax on their website it was mine. They had cut up the body to extend for the safari style shooting platform and had replaced the bumpers and added a pretty cool top setup. It was cool to see it living it's best life on a deer lease somewhere, but I still would rather not know what happens to my vehicles when I let them go. I love my cars too much. I just sold my motorcycle last month too that I said I would never sell. That one is going to hurt especially hard if I see it around town one day.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curbcheck spinout? This is what happens to people these days who have never driven a rear wheel drive vehicle; let alone a fine tuned sportscar. "Oh I can drive that. Vroom, no problem."
Maybe the salesman forgot to tell the lady about the Trifecta tune :whoknows:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Opel grille looked like it was still there too. It's still a bummer to see a car you cared for and enjoyed all broken up.
Yep the grille is still there. I traded it in during that fricken ice storm back in February so no chance to grab the stuff off of it. I did get that killer steering wheel though. It's now with that guy that does the bad ass modifications to the light housing (among other mods) He is building some sort of Solstice that looks awesome.

It's amazing to see an old build and wonder if it's better to build or buy. I think when you build something it is far more special than to buy something...unless it's a McLaren 720S...I would leave that stock (not really)

I deliver to Spring Branch down near Bulverde. That road (46) from New Braunfels to Spring Branch has a ton of Jeeps for sale. Always outfitted in many different ways. Maybe there's some deer out that way? ;)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Looks like a monster rear fin and is that a Solstice wheel leaning up against the front?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a monster rear fin and is that a Solstice wheel leaning up against the front?
yep, another pic he sent me had a Solstice wheel on the front

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
So, what's with the white SKY in the background? This guy is gathering parts?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well this posting of yours caught my eyes early this morning, while reading our threads
slipping my java. As a former owner of one of our gems- it is shocking to see what happens
after the sale the condition your former baby is in currently and.. the smiles it produced for you...
as an owner myself here, pain that slow chill that runs through your thoughts and blood.
Ahhh that's not gonna buff out I think- gonna take a bit of time to fix it right- just say'n.

The odd occurrence that you stumbled upon a restorer- and that he contacted you about
parts for sale from- the former owner of said vehicle is priceless. They way it bit the curb
by the previous owner is not uncommon. In your driving lifetime, yes even you will clip
a curb, hop a speed bump to hard, asphalt-grass-asphalt adventure. This unique meeting
between you two- to help return one of our gems back to it's smile producing glory is
fate my man, it was meant to be- ordained by a higher authority- que the church harp music
here, with the choir. IT still lives- the Flash has not bit the dust and will return to the
roadways soon.

I have in my driving career seen 3 times where one of my cars has- had a bad day.
One was my fault completely- a brain fart decision. We are human after all no one
is perfect. Young and stupid plays it's part here. However the other 2 cars met their
fate in a different way than what we see here. One returned to the roadway- after repairs
from a joy riding adventure stolen car scenario. I liken this to what I see here- it's not dead
it needs TLC and will be back running the highways & byways of our transportation system
somewhere in this country of ours. On any given day- Oh look there is my former car.
I drove the repaired model for a bit, trading it in on a new car sometime later.

The last car was stolen, stripped clean, left to rot by the scum who stole it.
When laying my eyes upon my former car- now turned in to an insurance payment
check for a down payment on a replacement model- I didn't want, it is shocking to
the eyes of a owner when that view & memory of your previous ride now looks like.
Awww hell no- oh well no help now for it. It is done, no more asphalt adventures or
smiles for you ole girl. CYA. No owner should ever have to experience this but it does
happen in our driving lifetime. Sucks but sometimes... life is like that. It really doesn't
care what you think- it hits us in the face as owners that today sucks, deal with it.

SO.. your old car is in good hands for now- and with your help & parts and knowledge of
the cars history it will live again. You have the new ride to enjoy but some memories
of past glorious days in the Sky will over come this post sale return look back at it's condition now.

Ring... ring.. Hello I understand you have parts for sale for a Kappa- is that right? Funny you
should ask that- why yes I do. Well I saw your ad and I'm interested. I have a Sky out back
that curb hopped itself into my possession recently. I can fix it- I just need some parts help.
Here let me email you a photo or two of it- tell me what you think you have? Sure...
30 seconds later clicks on email- Hey wait a minute here. That car does look familiar somehow.
Hmmm and the vin # too- you don't say? Imagine that on any given day... a reunion of sorts.

When the restorer gets the Sky back on the road and ready to rock again- I hope he will send
you a "different" email with new updated photos of your old car.

Once a Kappa owner always a Kappa owner & the memories. Our Smile Matters.

LAC

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Generally speaking, there are three kinds of Kappa owners......those who drive the car hard to it's limit, those who enjoy the simpler pleasures of top-down driving, and those with part time aggression in their blood. I wonder if those people get into the most trouble.

That owner obviously pushed it past it's limit as so many Kappas have been terminated in similar fashion.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, what's with the white SKY in the background? This guy is gathering parts?
He said he had built his wife a white turbo so the one in the pic may have been the donor.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once a Kappa owner always a Kappa owner & the memories. Our Smile Matters.

LAC
True that! It was weird when it finally dawned on me he was talking about my Flash baby. I think he will enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 116649
I have four 2007 wheels with original tires unused that I will sell...The guy I bought from replaced the OEM with chrome wheels and different tires...Always stored in climate controlled building
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts