Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from the dealer thios a.m. and opended up the t-cover box and checked it out. It does require drilling of small holes, but the snaps have rubber seals to place under them when the snaps are installed on the car. The parts kit had everything in it, it looks like the snaps are going to be held on the body with pop rivets. The cover it self is beautiful, it zips down the middle, so the pass side remains covered for solo driving. It looks real good, and the holes drilled are small, I am glad I decided on it. The installation instructions has all the templates to lay the holes out in the right position. Reference points are good, no chance of misdrilling. There shouldn't be any problem with my mechanic Shelby, installing it within a couple of hours easy.

One thing I di not look closely at but in passing noticed ( i will double check it) that the drivers side part of the cover zips completely out once again for driving solo. I can and will have the mechanic keep all the installing instructions, maybe even get a copy of them now If I can I will try to post it if possible on the forum, I don't if it can be done, maybe my wife or one of you computer wizards could help. After seeing in the flesh, I for one will let them drill the mounts, because it is to me part of the roadster look, and easier than putting the top up everytime. It is also very :cool: looking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the clear description of the set up for solo driving. That is one of the questions that I have had and were not clear in any of the photos.

After you get it installed, pictures please showing the solo driver configuration.

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
Can you tell me where I can find ANY pictures of the cover?
I thought i'd looked everywhere:willy:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tonneau cover

Thanks Ernest

Please inform us of any tips when you have completed the job !

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks Ernest. I really want one but I refues to drill holes in my car. You'd think a group of engineers could figure out how to produce one without having to drill holes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
rick112 said:
Thanks Ernest. I really want one but I refues to drill holes in my car. You'd think a group of engineers could figure out how to produce one without having to drill holes.

Just about everything that is attached to your car..the build itself, required holes to be drilled for fasteners etc. The holes required for the "T" will be covered with snaps to hold the cover on. I can't see that being a problem (????)

Richard

·
Registered
129 Posts
Teneau Cover

I'm sure the teneau cover looks great but I can tell you from experience after a while you'll not be using it. Things like putting it on and taking it off again can old rather quickly. I had the full cover for one of my MG's and my TR6 and never really used it after taking it on and off a few times. Even the old boot covers made the convertible look really nice but after a while even putting that on became more of a hassle than it was worth. I also know that after a while the snaps become a major problem. Never saw an older convertible that didn't have that problem. So you may want to consider those sort of things before you start drilling holes in your new Sky.
Jayne

·
Registered
18,521 Posts
Another Option?

I believe I read somewhere...and cannot be sure, that if u put on a windscreen...somehow u can use that or the screws to hold down the tonneau top....don't hold me to this...

MarlboroMIke

·
Registered
877 Posts
I like the cover, but I will pass if they have to drill any holes in the car.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I can't see that being a problem (????)

Richard
I don't want holes in my car! That's the problem. GM designed a wind screen that requires 4-8 holes be drilled into your car. The massive brains at Kappasphere designed a windscreen that uses existing screw holes. And they designed a better looking product!:thumbs:

Can't someone come up with a tonneau cover that doesn't require holes to be drilled into the car?

I want to keep the car as origional as possible. What if I get tired of my tonneau cover? Then what?

Someone build us a better mouse trap! Please.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
rick112 said:
I don't want holes in my car! That's the problem. GM designed a wind screen that requires 4-8 holes be drilled into your car. The massive brains at Kappasphere designed a windscreen that uses existing screw holes. And they designed a better looking product!:thumbs:

Can't someone come up with a tonneau cover that doesn't require holes to be drilled into the car?

I want to keep the car as origional as possible. What if I get tired of my tonneau cover? Then what?

Someone build us a better mouse trap! Please.
Putting holes in the car for mounting the snaps for a cover really does keep it original. The cover is made (factory made) for the SKY and is not an after market, un-registered brand. It would be better if it were factory installed though.
I agree however - if I DID decide to get a cover like this -- I'd have to have someone else install it as I couldnot bear to do it myself....:willy:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
This doesn't resolve the drilling holes issues. The Pontiac Solstice Tonneau looks like it uses the AFBT holes to hold the back of the Tonneau Cover instead of the Screws where you would mount the Kappa or Allante WindScreen. I got this pic from Pontiac's Site.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

As opposed to the Sky's

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/sh...ight=accessory

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.