Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received my official Saturn Sky Car Cover and Saturn Sky Tonneau Cover. I like the car cover and will be keeping it.

As for the Tonneau Cover... Well, it looks really, really nice. It's very rugged, and has reinforcing bars to keep it stiff. It has zippers so that it can be driven covering only the passenger side, and the rest can be rolled up and tucked underneath in handy elastic straps. It seems very, very nice.

BUT -

In order to install it, you have to put snaps in the trunk on those famous bolts where the windscreen goes. I just purchased a windscreen, so I think they won't party well together. AND - it looks like you need to DRILL HOLES IN THE CAR to mount external snaps at the corners to hold it in place.

I'm not sure I want to drill holes in my new SKY and put snaps on it. True, my Spitfire had snaps all over the place. But I like the lines of the SKY being snapless. If you would like a never-been used, still in original packaging Tonneau Cover, send me a private message and make an offer. It lists for $336 from your friendly neighborhood dealer, and I found it on-line for $299. I'd like an offer close to that price, please. It's brand new.

As for the detailed instructions, I am going to see if I can get them scanned tomorrow so I can post them for all to see. More to follow...

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
We had the Tonneau cover put on our First Solstice but we are going to leave it off the GXP. Unless you have a garage and mainly one person in the car most of the time it's a pain in the neck.

We decided it's much easier to put the top up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yep!

I got suckered into getting a sky with a tonneau already installed, the snaps aren't all that visible, thank fully, but the cover itself is not always practical! I had pictures posted somewhere on this forum if you want to see how it looks on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had an MGB with a tonneau and never cared for it. If it rained, the water would collect and make a small pond, which was impossible to empty without getting a fair part of the water into the interior. I don't know who ever came up with the idea, but I considered it more or less worthless. Put the top up if you fear rain.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
GMguy said:
I had an MGB with a tonneau and never cared for it. If it rained, the water would collect and make a small pond, which was impossible to empty without getting a fair part of the water into the interior. I don't know who ever came up with the idea, but I considered it more or less worthless. Put the top up if you fear rain.

The tonneau's aren't for the rain, it states that, it tell's you to put the top up in the rain. It's just to keep out the sun and cold.

I won't waste my money again.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I saw the snaps on the tonneau cover...return the top...don't want to put 4 holes in your car...they do draw your attention when u r close to the car, although inconspicuous at a distance...my opinion...DON'T DO IT!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The tonneau's aren't for the rain, it states that, it tell's you to put the top up in the rain. It's just to keep out the sun and cold.
That's not what my MC's tonneau was designed for - they claimed it
would keep out the rain. The MGB also had take-apart top that was far harder to errect than the kappa cars. I guess over the years they've changed their tune on what a tonneau is good for. The problem is, if you park in the open,
you can't depend upon always being notified in time of a squall coming thru,
and able to get to your car in time. The recomended use is therefore, in my opinion, rather illogical.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I returned the tonneau I ordered. Almost imposible to get the thing back into the box it came in...and that is one heck of a BIG box. Where are you supposed to stow the thing when it is removed? Not is that small trunk, that's for sure !!

I took a heavy duty single size BED SHEET (color-black) and sewed it to match the curvature of the base of the windshield. The front gets tucked under the wiper blades and the rear stuffed behind the seats. Fits really snug with the side windows up and keeps the sun and prying eyes out of the interior. Total cost under $5 in Walmart!! AND storage is no problem !

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm so glad I hooked up with you all. I was wondering about the tonneau cover and after reading this discussion, think I'll go the Walmart sheet route, no bolts needed. Thanks for sharing. Also, I ordered the custom Sky car cover from Kappasphere for $150 instead of the $295 the dealer wanted. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this cover?

Lisa

·
Registered
410 Posts
WAY2FAST--Great idea and a great price to pay for quick sun protection. My concern is, say a quick shower comes by, please watch that die from the sheet. Remember not to put that top down with the wet black sheet in the trunk:nono:

·
Registered
276 Posts
IslandHopper said:
WAY2FAST--Great idea and a great price to pay for quick sun protection. My concern is, say a quick shower comes by, please watch that die from the sheet. Remember not to put that top down with the wet black sheet in the trunk:nono:
With the interior and carpets being black on my car, I don't think the dye from the sheet would affect anything. A white sheet might be better as it will reflect the sunlight more than black, but it doesn't look as "cool".

·
Registered
453 Posts
car cover

[Also, I ordered the custom Sky car cover from Kappasphere for $150 instead of the $295 the dealer wanted. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this cover?

Lisa[/QUOTE]

Hey, Lisa can you tell me how to order the cover? I had the information but can't seem to find it. I really want to order it as soon as possible. Anyone? I went to the dealer, they wanted like $300.00 for it?? I want a decent one for indoor / outdoor. Any help will be appreciated.
T.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I really wasn't that interested in one to begin with but when I saw those snaps that was enough to stop me in my tracks. No way no how I will just keep putting the top up when I need to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone find a workable tonneau .... saturn tonneau seems to need improvement !!!!!:deadhorse :deadhorse

·
Registered
45 Posts
I returned the tonneau I ordered. Almost imposible to get the thing back into the box it came in...and that is one heck of a BIG box. Where are you supposed to stow the thing when it is removed? Not is that small trunk, that's for sure !!

I took a heavy duty single size BED SHEET (color-black) and sewed it to match the curvature of the base of the windshield. The front gets tucked under the wiper blades and the rear stuffed behind the seats. Fits really snug with the side windows up and keeps the sun and prying eyes out of the interior. Total cost under $5 in Walmart!! AND storage is no problem !
can you post a photo of the cover that you made? thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am looking at getting the Kappabrella. It is fitted to the Sky/Sol and covers the windshield as well. It works kind of like the Tonneau cover without the snaps. At 1/3 the price I think it will work well to keep the heat off the seats and dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts