Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I had the tonneau cover option installed on Serenity. Upon reflection I find it was a mistake. The reasons is as follows:

I don't like the way the side is fastened down. You have to push plastic tabs between the window glass and the seal, which I feel over the long haul will damage the seal.:banghead:

The rod across the inside front has to be carefully installed or you can scratch the plastic windshield frame trim.:mad:

I will not have it on my R/L, for sure. The four exposed snaps I can live with, and I will occassionally use it, but I wouldn't use on a daily basis.

Upon reflection I would not have gone with this option, however you live and learn. I would have been happier if it had snaps all the way around like my TR3 did.

I can get the top up as fast or faster than the cover. This is my observation and evaluation. But I think they could have designed it much better. I would say no to anyone considering the T-cover, but it may be acceptable to some, just not to me. Thanks for Your Time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ernest said:
As most of you know I had the tonneau cover option installed on Serenity. Upon reflection I find it was a mistake. The reasons is as follows:

I don't like the way the side is fastened down. You have to push plastic tabs between the window glass and the seal, which I feel over the long haul will damage the seal.:banghead:

The rod across the inside front has to be carefully installed or you can scratch the plastic windshield frame trim.:mad:

I will not have it on my R/L, for sure. The four exposed snaps I can live with, and I will occassionally use it, but I wouldn't use on a daily basis.

Upon reflection I would not have gone with this option, however you live and learn. I would have been happier if it had snaps all the way around like my TR3 did.

I can get the top up as fast or faster than the cover. This is my observation and evaluation. But I think they could have designed it much better. I would say no to anyone considering the T-cover, but it may be acceptable to some, just not to me. Thanks for Your Time.

Thanks, I had read the previous post on this topic and had just about talked myself out of getting the tonneau. You just made the decision very easy.

Deposit 1 Jul
Green/Tan
5-Speed
Premium interior
LSD, CAI
Splash Guards

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ernest said:

Ernest...your timing is exquisite. Thank you so much ! :thumbs:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was considering purchasing one after-the-fact from my dealer. Glad to read your opinion. Thanks Ernest!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks Ernest. As you know I was thinking about getting one myself. I was worried about the snaps being drilled into the exterior skin. Now I have more to think about. I'm really thinking about canceling my order for the cover now.

Thanks again. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The snaps are installed with seals, I can live with that. I wouldn't mind having snaps all around like my TR3, it is just the danged way they designed the fastening to the front and sides. I mean pushing anything between the glass and the seal strip has got to compromise the seal. Top down and possible introduction of water run down inside the door.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ernest, thanks for the input. I had considered getting the T-cover, but the GM convinced me not to...retrospectively, I'm glad he did.

This forum rocks...I even enjoy reading 13 pages of posts about gators... :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks so much for the info....I'll wait for some sort of aftermarket cover.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ernest said:

Ernest
I took mine back for full credit the first week I had it..No way for passenger to get in, too heavy, seats need to be all the way back, too many snaps. Just TOO MUCH! Needs to be lighter weight material with just a couple of snaps. My only reason for getting it was to keep flying fowl from fowling up my interior and just a tad more security (people can't look in easily). I had to take it off the first night I got the car so the Salesperson could ride with me to use Her company credit car to fill-er up - what a mess! It is a two MAN job in reality. Worst thing ever from GM (I won't say Saturn as the Solstice uses the same one).

·
Registered
62 Posts
:thumbs:
Thank you. I was going back and forth on this topic and wasn't sure which way to go. I was leaning towards not getting it because of the install requirements of drilling...now I definitely won't do it. I'll buy a full cover and take the time to protect my baby even at work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts