Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
These forums always make it seem there is always a problem because that’s where people go to get help. If everyone not having problems posted, “car ran great this week, no issues!” every week, then it would feel like they never had any issues.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Batteries do not count....it is just maintenance...at 28K my catalytic converter went but covered under warranty...several more minor issues but overall I am lucky...I now have 41K on my car and hoping the water pump is atypical and will not be needing to be replaced
Mine went to 72k. You'll be fine. Just don't drive it anymore, and you won't have anymore problems.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I understand batteries don't count as maintenance, I own two classic cars and restored them. I was listing everything the car needed since owned. 41k is about the time the water pump was replaced and from what I understand it's a common issue on these cars. Be prepared to spend about $1400 to $1600 for labor and the pump.
Or do it yourself and pay $300

·
Registered
259 Posts
Aside from a few known issues, our cars are pretty solid. Water pump, airbag sensor come to mind, and thats about it. Trim (interior and exterior) is typical GM craptastic quality of the era, so as long as you dont have unrealistic expectations, its fine.

Compare the reliabilty here to a 15 year old chevy cobalt...or really most 15 year old cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I second this! There are a lot of low mile cars out there that were involved in fender benders and the insurance companies totaled them out. That's how I got my replacement top assembly last month. There area also plenty of people advertising part outs that you should be able to find what you are looking for with little effort.

I'm the third owner of our Sky and so far I've only done minor fixes that I would attribute to age and use from the PO's. {Fingers crossed that's it} Battery, fluids, airbag sensor (covered under recall), small cosmetic fixes, and personal preference changes like the replacement top from tan to black and the ZZP tune. The Sky had 60K miles at the time of purchase with a few minor cosmetic issues, but didn't even have a cracked fender. We got a decent deal, however I have absolutely no idea on the previous history of the vehicle as no records came with the car. So who knows, maybe some of these larger issues have already happened and been resolved. Considering it will now spend most of it's time in the garage I'm hoping larger costly mechanical issues will be few, although its inevitable some parts will simply age out before reaching their wear points.
If you want to ensure there will be no large costly issues...DRIVE your sky periodically -don't leave it idle like we did for three years thinking since we want to keep the car forever, we leased a car to drive it for three years saving the sky. But, the engine started overheating (see my prior post) to 230/40 right after starting. It was an air bubble in the radiator system and they had to jack the car up on each side back and forth and then drain and flush the system. The lead mechanic said the worst thing you can do is use it as expensive furniture to look at in your garage. He's right as I routinely drive my classic cars every two to three weeks putting about 30 to 40 miles on them. And do not just start it up in the winter (if you live in a cold climate) in the garage and let it idle for 20 minutes thinking that's good enough. Drive it at least 20 to 40 miles once a month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These forums always make it seem there is always a problem because that’s where people go to get help. If everyone not having problems posted, “car ran great this week, no issues!” every week, then it would feel like they never had any issues.
I agree wholeheartedly. These cars are great cars that have lots of cool features but you have to drive them fairly regularly.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hmmm - a handful of people complaining about various issues that need fixing on their cars vs. the thousands ot there just happily enjoying them. "Most of the people I see posting here are complaining about their cars so the cars must be crappy"? NOT peerless logic.

Cars age and they get issues as a matter of course. Modern computerized cars have more possible failure modes, so they probably do show more issues than a 57 Chevy, that's to be expected. I don't see more problems with these cars than with many other modern cars.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you want to ensure there will be no large costly issues...DRIVE your sky periodically -don't leave it idle like we did for three years thinking since we want to keep the car forever, we leased a car to drive it for three years saving the sky. But, the engine started overheating (see my prior post) to 230/40 right after starting. It was an air bubble in the radiator system and they had to jack the car up on each side back and forth and then drain and flush the system. The lead mechanic said the worst thing you can do is use it as expensive furniture to look at in your garage. He's right as I routinely drive my classic cars every two to three weeks putting about 30 to 40 miles on them. And do not just start it up in the winter (if you live in a cold climate) in the garage and let it idle for 20 minutes thinking that's good enough. Drive it at least 20 to 40 miles once a month.
I don't disagree that to ensure the longevity of the mechanical parts and seals they do need to be regularly lubricated and parts need to be actuated. If cars sit for too long parts will corrode and seals will become dry and brittle causing leaks. Tires will develop flat spots and like other rubber products, will rot away. Fuel will go bad and absorb water introducing internal corrosion to the fuel system. Mice and other critters can make a nice nest in your air box too. There are a whole host of issues of neglecting proper usage and maintenance. However mechanical parts do wear down from use as well. It's the same reason why a used car with low miles is worth more than one with regular or high miles. It's the perception that lower miles means the vehicle and it's working parts still have plenty of life left before reaching their limits. An educated buyer will know better, but for the masses that is what they have been told. Just like other sports cars, I'm sure many Sky's were purchased to be used as pleasure vehicles only and is why so many of them are still well below the national average for mileage by age would indicate. It's possibly the reason why there has been quite a few issues pop up in recent years, as @marlboromike indicated with this post, where those Skys and Sols are now having mechanical failures on low mileage vehicles, is where some parts are simply aging out before ever reaching their mechanical limits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't disagree that to ensure the longevity of the mechanical parts and seals they do need to be regularly lubricated and parts need to be actuated. If cars sit for too long parts will corrode and seals will become dry and brittle causing leaks. Tires will develop flat spots and like other rubber products, will rot away. Fuel will go bad and absorb water introducing internal corrosion to the fuel system. Mice and other critters can make a nice nest in your air box too. There are a whole host of issues of neglecting proper usage and maintenance. However mechanical parts do wear down from use as well. It's the same reason why a used car with low miles is worth more than one with regular or high miles. It's the perception that lower miles means the vehicle and it's working parts still have plenty of life left before reaching their limits. An educated buyer will know better, but for the masses that is what they have been told. Just like other sports cars, I'm sure many Sky's were purchased to be used as pleasure vehicles only and is why so many of them are still well below the national average for mileage by age would indicate. It's possibly the reason why there has been quite a few issues pop up in recent years, as @marlboromike indicated with this post, where those Skys and Sols are now having mechanical failures on low mileage vehicles, is where some parts are simply aging out before ever reaching their mechanical limits.
Yeah, skys are just pleasure vehicles mostly as you can only fit a couple of soft duffle bags for traveling. Also, not many were bought due to the above limited trunk space and you cannot be a very big person to comfortably drive a sky.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Some of you may recall all my posts during the first half of this year when I brought home my early production 2007 Base Sky I named "Money Pit". I did a lot to it to bring it back to a respectable car, but no actual mechanical "repairs" as of yet except for an ignition coil I flooded from washing the engine. All my work was related to peripheral features and cosmetics. Some effort were deviations from "Factory Original" basically to enhance interior lighting and the addition of the power-lift driver seat adjustment that was not included in the base Sky during early production. Emotionally, the project put me through hell. But looking back, I see so many times I went down a rabbit hole because of my inexperience with a Sky. I am so much smarter for having that experience.

On the forum here, I read a lot about horse power enhancements and various customizations. I imagine some Sky problems are related to such deviations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some of you may recall all my posts during the first half of this year when I brought home "Money Pit" my (made April 2006) base 2007 Sky. I did a lot to it to bring it back to a respectable car. But no mechanical "repairs" were required. All of the work was related to peripheral things and cosmetics. Some of my work were deviations from what the car was originally, basically related to interior lighting and adding a power-lift-adjusting driver seat. Emotionally, the project put me through hell. But I look back and see so many times I went down a rabbit hole because of my inexperience with a Sky.

On the forum here, I read a lot about deviations. I imagine some of Sky problems are related to that.
Well sounds like you made your own hell somewhat with installing additional features but our 2008 had power lift driver's seat so I don't understand - yours was manual?

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Well sounds like you made your own hell somewhat with installing additional features but our 2008 had power lift driver's seat so I don't understand - yours was manual?
The power lift seat was added in the middle of the 2007 Model Year. Prior to that the height was fixed.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Hmmm - a handful of people complaining about various issues that need fixing on their cars vs. the thousands ot there just happily enjoying them. "Most of the people I see posting here are complaining about their cars so the cars must be crappy"? NOT peerless logic.

Cars age and they get issues as a matter of course. Modern computerized cars have more possible failure modes, so they probably do show more issues than a 57 Chevy, that's to be expected. I don't see more problems with these cars than with many other modern cars.
Seeking help for and sharing the story of an issue are not the same as complaining. That's literally being a part of a car community.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Seeking help for and sharing the story of an issue are not the same as complaining. That's literally being a part of a car community.
I don't think that he meant it the way you seem to be assuming.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depending on what the problem is..... sometimes the problems enhance the ownership experience..... a sense of pride in fixing it....... (Insert Tool Man Taylor “GRUNT” Here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Mea culpa. Agree - 'complaining' was a poor choice of word.

·
Registered
579 Posts
As mentioned by JohnWR, my Sky did not have any kind of driver seat "lift" adjustment. I don't need that adjustment, but I anticipate my wife will. I restored my seats with new leather so I incorporated that feature into the restoration.

As far as my lighting enhancements are concerned, none of them has given me any sort of post-installation grief. Some were a challenge to incorporate at a time when there was so much else going on with the car. At times, everything combined, the over-all project of restoring the car was overwhelming.

When I first bought our Sky, I was determined to keep it all original. But then I got the bug to improve the instrument cluster's visibility and illumination while I had the interior removed from the car. It was so successful that I was inspired to continue with the 3-pod climate control, the radio, the door switches, the center mirror, and adding floor & glove box lighting. My wife and I both appreciate seeing so much better inside the car at night as well as making out the instruments, the radio, and climate controls. CLICK HERE if you are the least bit curious.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts