Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seeking help for and sharing the story of an issue are not the same as complaining. That's literally being a part of a car community.
You're right and I happen to own a 57 Chevy bought stock and if members on here think there are problems with their skys, try driving a stock '57. I restored it and made it a restomod in 2014 and no issues. We love our sky!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love my 2009 Sky RedLine. It's cramped, has no storage, have to buckle up before you close the door, have to enter in arse first and drop down onto the seat when the top's up, does not have an aux input, need fingers directly connected to one's left rib cage to open the windows, need fingers attached to your right shoulder blade to open a pretend storage opening, only room for your girlfriend's spare panties and your jock in the trunk with the top down, cup holders are a joke . . . . BUT would I trade it ? . . . . . . NEVER! It's a SPORTS CAR! It's called character. It's set up for the sport of driving. Go get a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry if one insists on being Mr Joe Average Sensible. I bought mine at 10,991 miles, no problems at 37,998. IMO these are well designed and well built, not to be treated like Uncle Bob's farm tractor that runs on distilled bananas. The Opel GT in Germany is considered a thoroughbred and maintained and treated as such. So should the Sky RedlIne being the same vehicle.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I love my 2009 Sky RedLine. It's cramped, has no storage, have to buckle up before you close the door, have to enter in arse first and drop down onto the seat when the top's up, does not have an aux input, need fingers directly connected to one's left rib cage to open the windows, need fingers attached to your right shoulder blade to open a pretend storage opening, only room for your girlfriend's spare panties and your jock in the trunk with the top down, cup holders are a joke . . . . BUT would I trade it ? . . . . . . NEVER! It's a SPORTS CAR! It's called character. It's set up for the sport of driving. Go get a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry if one insists on being Mr Joe Average Sensible. I bought mine at 10,991 miles, no problems at 37,998. IMO these are well designed and well built, not to be treated like Uncle Bob's farm tractor that runs on distilled bananas. The Opel GT in Germany is considered a thoroughbred and maintained and treated as such. So should the Sky RedlIne being the same vehicle.
I would call it CHARACTER DISORDER.(LOL)..it's not the FAMILY CAR. Never meant to be.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I understand batteries don't count as maintenance, I own two classic cars and restored them. I was listing everything the car needed since owned. 41k is about the time the water pump was replaced and from what I understand it's a common issue on these cars. Be prepared to spend about $1400 to $1600 for labor and the pump.
You can buy a brand new AC Delco water pumps from Auto Zone for $153 bucks and it doesn’t take more then 2 or 3 hours to change it. If your paying anything over $600 bucks they screwed you. Sorry but facts are facts.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I’ve owned my car since new. I had the water pump changed while still under warranty and never again tell I built the motor. Nothing wrong with it just wanted more power. I blew it up but that’s because the rings should have been gapped a couple thousand more but I also ran it bot at 210 off the line so that was my own fault. I also changed the AC compressor under warranty but never again. I have 134k on my car now but have done a LS3 swap with a T 56 trany so cars about new again other then the rear differential which I have a new GM in the box if it goes. I’ve take just about everything apart on my car and actually being a framed car it’s built pretty stout for what it is a $30k car new but like others have said they’re 14 years old. It greatly depends on how it’s treated and driven. Cars are built to drive not sit for long periods of time then start it up for a cruise and hammer on it. I’ve driven my car every day unless I was doing a mod on it. 😊

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it me or all these 2nd and 3rd owners experiencing bad luck with SKYS. So many issues are being posted here. I realize our car was made cheap...but every day another post regarding the need for HELP!
I have no complaints. Second owner, bought at 8000 miles, now has 80,000. Water pump is the only repair it's needed. It Is stored in a temperature and humidity controlled storage facility through the Northeastern winter tho.
Another reason I love it -

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed that before I bought my 2008. The dealer offered an extended 40,000 mile warranty for only $1000 through Allstate. I figured if it needed a water pump, the warranty would more than paid for itself.
It seems a new water pump I/will be in most Sky owners! (Me included)
Thank God I bought a bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can buy a brand new AC Delco water pumps from Auto Zone for $153 bucks and it doesn’t take more then 2 or 3 hours to change it. If your paying anything over $600 bucks they screwed you. Sorry but facts are facts.
When you do the labor yourself having the lift, tools and know -how...yeah, $600 is about right but when you don't have all of the above, you're at the mercy of the whomever does. Just like my other cars, sometimes I can do the work - other times can't.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I started doing my own work on my cars when my cars would come back with more damage than when I took it in for repair. For instance: My 68 Buick GS 400 had a squeak in the front end when it hit a bump in the road. I took it in and said I think it needs a lube. So the kid opens the hood and tears off the dust shingle destroying it then pushed hard on the fender to make the car bounce.slightly denting the fender. I was pissed and desided I better get the car out of there before more damage was done. Another instance was on a 93 Olds Cutlas Supreme Convertible. It had an exhaust leak where the midpipe connected to the muffler. I thought that they would replace the midpipe or at least weld a section in. But they cut out the cat and put in a much smaller restrictive cat and didn't touch the leak and charged me almost $300.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it me or all these 2nd and 3rd owners experiencing bad luck with SKYS. So many issues are being posted here. I realize our car was made cheap...but every day another post regarding the need for HELP!

Well, I immediately broke the waterfall door button to open it. Now it's stuck closed. And the cup holder won't stay closed.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
The water pump from ZZP is $50. It's a solid upgrade. It took me 10 hours to change the pump (I'm a mechanic noob, and had help from a friend who has more experience).

·
Registered
16 Posts
The water pump from ZZP is $50. It's a solid upgrade. It took me 10 hours to change the pump (I'm a mechanic noob, and had help from a friend who has more experience).
That's what the dealer quoted me about six years ago. At $125 an hour labor and part, shop supplies, tax, etc - it was about $1,400. If you're not a mechanic by trade or worked on many cars then you'll screw up something as I've learned the hard way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Squillian,
I know your purchase of the car is very recent but I was wondering if you knew the water pump was leaking when you bought the car or did you discover it when you were changing out your fluids?

·
Registered
20 Posts
After 6 month (and two of them stopped because the virus) my car had the first overheat problem. Still on workshop. If everything goes well, next week I will be driving again.

after visiting this forum (thanks all for your support and value infirmation) I am a little bit afraid reading the problems looks this kappa cars have.

i hope this Is Because, as somebody said before, most of the people only post when the problems comes.

will see....

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is great!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts