Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Squillian,
I know your purchase of the car is very recent but I was wondering if you knew the water pump was leaking when you bought the car or did you discover it when you were changing out your fluids?
The paranoid side of me thinks he knew, and that's why he sold it below the area average (Listed at $9,500, paid $9,000, and area average is around $12,000) (It's at 72,000 miles). That same paranoid side of me thinks he put some stop leak in to make it look like there were no problems (the coolant looked mighty fresh). I MEAN... THE SEAL BROKE AFTER 2 WEEKS OF OWNING IT? COME ON!

The less paranoid side of me isn't that bothered, and I wanted a project car anyway. Two weeks in, and I was given a project by the car gods. Plus, the few drives I got to do were during 116 degree days in Arizona. That's no bueno man.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wouldn’t second guess myself or what if. You made a good deal for the car.....under the average local pricing and got some Sky mechanical experience to boot.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Few people here could beat me out in what a good deal was had......in reverse......a bad deal.

An eBay sale at the end of 2019, we paid $4700 plus tax, etc. for a base Sky that was supposed to have 7800 miles but left abandoned for many years. I invested an additional $5500 in parts, a few services, and countless hours of my time to get the car into excellent condition (though not quite done yet). It turned out, the car had roughly 105,000 "unaccounted" miles. What was supposed to be a $11,000 car when finished, turned into a $7,500 car when finished because of the odometer roll-back when improperly programming a replacement BCM by a previous owner. So I have $10,500 and countless hours in a $7,500 Sky, hence the name "Money Pit" given to our Sky.

I quickly learned that eBay's Buyer Protection is good for nothing on any vehicle over 9 years old.

At least we love and enjoy our upside-down investment.
"Hey Honey, Would you like to go to Culver's in Money Pit? It's a nice evening. I have a 2 for 1 coupon."

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
have owned my 2008 RL for over 4 years. Put 40K on the clock. Now at 92,333 Still has original Water Pump. Never cleaned intake manifold. No swollen pipes in inter-cooler. Top still works as good as it ever did, not saying much.
What I have done?
1 New set of tires (Probably its third set)
2 Added 1 qt of distilled water
3 New battery last year after 11 years
4 Trifecta (not needed, but fun)
5 Repaired right door handle ($1)
6 Lots of gas, some oil and much fun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just hit 45,000 miles on a drive last week and I feel like I should do a coolant flush since I don't know the complete history from the prior owner. I wonder if a flush will accelerate the dreaded water pump change. I'm all for doing normal routine maintenance but I'm curious if anyone experianced a water pump leak or failure shortly after doing a coolant flush? I'm kind of in BlueRl's camp regarding the coolant of "if it aint broke, don't fix it!". Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I Any insight would be appreciated.
A few months before my 2.4L waterpump failed it had a coolant service engine light. It was intermittent. I had my mechanic replace the thermostat, a temperature sensor and the coolant reservoir. The cause of the service light was that one of the wires was loose. So I didn't have to replace all those parts - but because I did he found the problem. The parts weren't that expensive though.

When the waterpump went out the car wouldn't start. There was no over heating or other badness before that.

At 45K you probably have noting to worry about. But at 145K you might consider replacing the timing chain at the same time as replacing the waterpump.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I just hit 45,000 miles on a drive last week and I feel like I should do a coolant flush since I don't know the complete history from the prior owner. I wonder if a flush will accelerate the dreaded water pump change. I'm all for doing normal routine maintenance but I'm curious if anyone experianced a water pump leak or failure shortly after doing a coolant flush? I'm kind of in BlueRl's camp regarding the coolant of "if it aint broke, don't fix it!". Any insight would be appreciated.
Maybe if u want to replace before u can’t drive it Shop Rates / Pricing | Kappa Haus

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Disclaimer: I am a new mechanic.

My understanding is that you should flush your coolant far more often than most people do (at what interval, I do not know). The coolant becomes acidic over time, and will cause deterioration. Flushing the coolant on a regular basis of some kind (I do not know how often) will prolong the life of the water pump and seals. Everyone feel free to gut check me.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Disclaimer: I am a new mechanic.

My understanding is that you should flush your coolant far more often than most people do (at what interval, I do not know). The coolant becomes acidic over time, and will cause deterioration. Flushing the coolant on a regular basis of some kind (I do not know how often) will prolong the life of the water pump and seals. Everyone feel free to gut check me.
I did a flush at 30K...no problem. Car has 41K now and 14 yrs old....I am considering a flush because of the age of the car and not the miles. Can someone butt in...I can tell u the 30K flush had to be 10 yrs ago.

·
Registered
486 Posts
In fact, most owner's manuals put the change interval at 5 years or 100,000 miles or even longer for Dex-Cool.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
You can also test the coolant for freeze point and ph using test strips if you don't want to simply follow the 5/100 rule.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
The issue is not the fluid or the driver. the issue is location temperature and how long it takes for the parked hot turbo take to cool down while at the same time the WP is basking in all that hot glory just inches away

61 - 75 of 75 Posts