Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just let my brother driving my car for a couple days, and started rattling off some pre-cautionary items when dealing with this car. Here is what I told him (some of which my dealer told me about, but most came from experience, from other owners, or from this forum):

UPDATED 10/04/06: I created a NEW version of this list below (the original version can be found quoted further down in this thread).

1. The Convertible Roof:
  • Lift and raise the roof from the center, or you will bend the roof frame, and it will leak and cost $3500 to replace.
  • Don't lift the roof UP when you unlatch it, or you will tear the windshield gasket and your roof will leak. Instead, unlatch it and push it straight back.
  • Make sure the pins are not under the supports when you latch the roof.
  • Make sure the windows are down when you bring up the roof, or you will damage the gasket between the roof and windows.
  • Leave the latch fully OPEN when put the roof in the trunk.
  • After washing, pop the trunk and remove soap & water from under the roof buttresses.
  • If you leave your car out in the sun a lot, the top will grey over time, so protect it with a coat of 303 fabric guard.

2. Body & Interior:
  • Don't close the hood with the doors partially open or it will scratch the paint.
  • Close the trunk from the center or it will bend the hinges and not latch fully.
  • Slam the trunk harder than you think you should, or it will not close. Over time, it will get easier to close.
  • Be gentle with the passenger side cup holder, or you will break it.
  • If you drive through water or dirt a lot, buy the mud flaps, at least for the front. Otherwise, mud and rocks WILL spray up and hit the side of your car.
  • Don't jam the seat all the way back with your weight. If you do, it will put stress on the seatback latch, and it may be very difficult to unlatch your seat.
  • If you leave the car parked with the top down, lock the glove compartment, or anyone will be able to reach over and pop the trunk.

3. Electronics:
  • Don't even both trying OnStar while driving with the top down -- too much background noise.
  • Press the unlock button TWICE to unlock the passenger door. Press lock ONCE to activate the alarm, and twice only if you want a horn "confirmation." You can also program the lock button to beep the horn on the first press if you want.

4. Drive Train:
  • If the automatic transmission downshifts and your engine RPMs suddenly increase going down hill, don't think something is broken. This the Grade Logic Control kicking in to save your brakes by using the engine to brake for you.
  • Use premium gas only, or your performance will suffer, especially in hotter climates.
  • The oil stick is very difficult to find or get your hands in there to pull it, and especially difficult to get it back in (impossible at night). So, if you don't check your oil, get it changed or serviced often so that "someone" checks it.
  • Don't let anybody but the dealer service the engine, or even change the oil, because it is a new car and they will screw it up.
  • With a manual transmission, the clutch may clatter when coming to a stop, even if fully depressed.

5. Aftermarket Products:
  • If you buy a windscreen that fits in the slot between the trunk and the butresses, do not leave it in place with the top up, or it will (1) scratch the back window (glass, film, or defroster), (2) cause damage to the back of your cloth roof when you close the trunk, and/or (3) warp in the sun under pressure from the back window.
  • If you buy a cold air intake, make sure that it is not in violation of city noise ordinances.

6. Good Advice for New Sports Car Owners:
  • If you leave the top down to go into a store in 100+ degree heat, lean the seat forward while you are gone or you will be losing skin when you return.
  • Before you leave on a trip make sure that the top still goes down with all that stuff you packed in the trunk, or you will be holding it on your lap.
  • Stay far away from islands and side curbs, because a scrape could cost $2500 in rims & tires.
  • Park far back from cement blocks at end of parking spaces, and warn any Valet you may give the car to about the low clearance in front.
  • When driving through a parking lot, remember that you are lower than the rear window of some SUVs, so watch for reverse lights.
  • Do not leave anything in plain sight in your car, as thieves will just cut open the top with a knife, and the cost of replacing the roof is probably far more than just about anything they might steal.

7. Fixed on Newer Models:
  • Don't throw away those foam squares in the folds of the roof inside the trunk. They are not shipping materials. They are designed to help with drainage.
  • Check for a leak of the differential pinion seal.
OK, that's my list. There are probably way more that I should have told him, but I would love to hear from you so I am better prepared next time I lend the car to someone.

Anyone?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Starting to have second thoughts

richm said:
I just let my brother driving my car for a couple days, and started rattling off some pre-cautionary items when dealing with this car. Here is what I told him (some of which my dealer did warn me about, but most came from experience, from other owners, or from this forum):

First, the convertible roof:
1. Lift and raise the roof from the center, or you will bend the roof frame, and it will leak and cost $3500 to replace.
2. Don't lift the roof UP when you unlatch it, or you will tear the windshield gasket (I just had it replaced) -- instead, unlatch it and push it straight back
3. Make sure the pins are not under the supports when you latch the roof.
4. Make sure the windows are down when you bring up the roof, or you will damage the gasket between the roof and windows.
5. Leave the latch fully OPEN when put the roof in the trunk
6. After washing, pop the trunk and remove soap & water from under the roof buttresses

And the rest of the car:
7. Don't close the hood with the doors partially open or it will scratch the paint
8. Close the trunk from the center or it will bend the hinges and not latch fully
9. Slam the trunk harder than you think you should, or it will not close
10. Don't bother trying to check the oil, because it is nearly impossible to find or get your hands in there to pull it out especially to get it back in (at night).
11. Don't let anybody but the dealer service this or even change the oil, because they will screw it up
12. Stay far away from side curbs, because a scrape could cost $2500 in rims & tires.
13. Park far far back from cement blocks at end of parking spaces.
14. Use premium gas only
15. Don't even both trying OnStar while driving with the top down
16. If you leave the top down to go into a store in 100+ degree heat, lean the seat forward while you are gone or you will be losing skin when you return.
17. Be gentle with the passenger side cup holder, or you will break it
18. Before you leave on a trip make sure that the top still goes down with all that stuff you packed in the trunk, or you will be holding it on your lap.
19. When driving through a parking lot, remember that you are lower than the rear window of some SUVs, so watch for reverse lights
20. Press the lock button TWICE to activate the alarm

OK, that's my top 20. There are probably way more that I should have told him, but I would love to hear from you so I am better prepared next time I lend the car to someone.

Anyone?
All of this and the issues people are complaining about is making me start to seriuosly have second thougts. I sold a gret convertible Mazda speed version of the Miata MX-5 to buy this car and lately all I am hearing are issues issues issues. Somebody make me feel better. I know the car looks great but if it really has all of these problems it cannot justify the headaches.

Blue:willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is one I forgot to tell him:
21. Don't lean seat back and jam it all the way back or you will not be able to unlatch it due to pressure on the mechanism.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
22. So many people were going to be watching my every move where ever I go. :jester:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
22. Warn them that even with the clutch full depressed car may chatter when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
23. about 20 of these things are no big deal and the same with nearly every new car.

Addressed to those who might have second thoughts...
So far of the entire list I have either not noticed, done out of common sense or just accepted as no big deal.:D

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blue Sky said:
All of this and the issues people are complaining about is making me start to seriuosly have second thougts. I sold a gret convertible Mazda speed version of the Miata MX-5 to buy this car and lately all I am hearing are issues issues issues. Somebody make me feel better. I know the car looks great but if it really has all of these problems it cannot justify the headaches.
In my opinion, buying a first-year car is like getting married. The new spouse is guaranteed to come with quirks, persnicketyness, and some are high maintenance (like European sports cars). Hopefully, you will learn about most issues ahead of time so that you can determine if there are any deal-breakers. But, as long as you know what you are getting into, I think that most people would say that the benefits of this kind of marriage outweigh the occassional quirk and gentle treatment required. That's how I view this list. If I would have seen it ahead of time, I might have gotten cold feet and bolted like the runaway bride. But, now that I have taken her around the block a couple of times, and I know what I got, I can say for certain that she is worth it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I know all of these things and I don't let anyone borrow my car so they don't need to know any of them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Do not pull all the way forward when parking...

The front end is lower than you think so warn anyone driving this (especially if the thread on Valets has not convinced you never to give your Sky to a Valet), not to pull all the way forward. If they do they are sure to hit the cement end marker or the front curb.

Otherwise, you'll be explaining that this is one of the "standard" options, that comes with the car!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
copies 2 of sky quirks over the line posts prior to editing

Or you could buy a Buick Regal and have NOTHING to talk about because you have been lulled into a coma!!!!

Anybody want to buy my Triumph TR8 or GT6+. The top 20 list just has to do with getting the things running!! Oh, don't forget the forgettable NEW Thunderbird. It has been dropped!!

Sky's are riddled with quirks. I have exactly 30 minutes spread across two test drives and I ordered a Redline just because it ISN'T perfect. That may be it's greatest appeal.

Sterile sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry --- REAL bad day)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
snaponbob said:
Or you could buy a Buick Regal and have NOTHING to talk about because you have been lulled into a coma!!!!

Anybody want to buy my Triumph TR8 or GT6+. The top 20 list just has to do with getting the things running!! Oh, don't forget the forgettable NEW Thunderbird. It has been dropped!!

Sky's are riddled with quirks. I have exactly 30 minutes spread across two test drives and I ordered a Redline just because it ISN'T perfect. That may be it's greatest appeal.

(sorry --- REAL bad day)
Now THAT is a car lover!! :agree: 100%

·
Registered
130 Posts
Blue Sky said:

Don't even think about it! These issues are tiny and mostly common sense. (Leather seats in 100 degree heat....) You will love the car. BTW, I'll be up in your neck of the woods to see my Browns lose to the Eagles Thursday. Cat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Blue Sky said:

You will miss getting a really cool car.
These items listed are not big deals and easily dealt with.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
richm said:
Really?!? I hit my lock button ONCE and it locks the doors and sets the alarm. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
snaponbob said:

(sorry --- REAL bad day)
I know what you're saying, and where you are coming from. BUT, some of the headache and problems really can't be justified, ESP in a car that is that close to 30k. A little quirk is ok (Saab gets away with it) but for that kind of dough, I don't want to always be freaking out if I raised or lowered the top the wrong way, or why there is NO interior lock button, or glovebox light, and if I freaking closed the trunk right.... It seems minor enough to me, but I too have had those feelings....wow, $30k (esp for the redline) and I have to worry about this or that, and be careful doing this.....when I could get MazdaSpeed MX5/6/3 for that price and less, and be good to go, or a preowned luxury coupe (i.e. g35) and have the nice interior materials and status and be good to go. ORRRR, howabout a C5 conv? Prolly could get a nice one for Redline money, and it'll be faster, PLUS you got a Corvette.

Don't flame me, I'm just saying that there is only so much that alot of people want to take from a BRAND NEW car in that price range. I love the car, but it does make me wonder if it's really worth it when I read threads like this when there are so many fun cars out there for less money, and that are headache free.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I wonder if he didn't mean push 2x to open the passenger door????

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
No car is headache free iffen you have negative attitudes about it. ..Skip..You can always find fault with anything if you look close enough. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Blue Sky said:

They are not really problems, more like common sense issues. Once you learn them and get the hang of them it is no big deal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
richm said:
I just let my brother driving my car for a couple days, and started rattling off some pre-cautionary items when dealing with this car. Here is what I told him (some of which my dealer did warn me about, but most came from experience, from other owners, or from this forum):

First, the convertible roof:
1. Lift and raise the roof from the center, or you will bend the roof frame, and it will leak and cost $3500 to replace.
2. Don't lift the roof UP when you unlatch it, or you will tear the windshield gasket (I just had it replaced) -- instead, unlatch it and push it straight back
3. Make sure the pins are not under the supports when you latch the roof.
4. Make sure the windows are down when you bring up the roof, or you will damage the gasket between the roof and windows.
5. Leave the latch fully OPEN when put the roof in the trunk
6. After washing, pop the trunk and remove soap & water from under the roof buttresses

And the rest of the car:
7. Don't close the hood with the doors partially open or it will scratch the paint
8. Close the trunk from the center or it will bend the hinges and not latch fully
9. Slam the trunk harder than you think you should, or it will not close
10. Don't bother trying to check the oil, because it is nearly impossible to find or get your hands in there to pull it out especially to get it back in (at night).
11. Don't let anybody but the dealer service this or even change the oil, because they will screw it up
12. Stay far away from side curbs, because a scrape could cost $2500 in rims & tires.
13. Park far far back from cement blocks at end of parking spaces.
14. Use premium gas only
15. Don't even both trying OnStar while driving with the top down
16. If you leave the top down to go into a store in 100+ degree heat, lean the seat forward while you are gone or you will be losing skin when you return.
17. Be gentle with the passenger side cup holder, or you will break it
18. Before you leave on a trip make sure that the top still goes down with all that stuff you packed in the trunk, or you will be holding it on your lap.
19. When driving through a parking lot, remember that you are lower than the rear window of some SUVs, so watch for reverse lights

OK, that's my top 20. There are probably way more that I should have told him, but I would love to hear from you so I am better prepared next time I lend the car to someone.

Anyone?
Well my dealer didn't tell me about all these things but this forum did! Thanks to you guys I knew most all of the right ways to operate my car before I got it.
I am so enjoying my car. After a month and a half my car has over 1400 miles on it just driving around town.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
23. about 20 of these things are no big deal and the same with nearly every new car.

Addressed to those who might have second thoughts...
So far of the entire list I have either not noticed, done out of common sense or just accepted as no big deal.:D

:agree: :agree: :agree:
I have had no serious problems and regular gas works just fine.
:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts